PDA

View Full Version : Gratuitous Posting

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 01:57 PM
And the circle goes round again. Somewhat hypocritical in nature to post a thread about gratuituos posting, but its a bit of a sore point with me. I've done it, I'll admit, but not too often, and mostly as a witty reply, so there is some humor value. But my philosophy is to always add something to the thread, not just an 'I agree', or 'cool', setting a standard for myself.

If you've got nothing to say, don't post. And **** post counts!

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 02:16 PM
I agree.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 02:17 PM
ALMOST 70 POSTS FOR ME!!! YES!!!!!

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:18 PM
it's true....post counts are really irrelevant when looking at the BIG picture here...

but I think many view it as a status symbol....having the avatar means u have been around and have some experience...like having a label I suppose....

labels are bad in my opinion...because in many instances...u can have something simple that works...say a relationship....but when it becomes labeled...along with the new term it's referred to as, comes these hidden rules & expectations...

as for patting each other on the backs for achieving certain posting #'s....it really shouldn't matter much...I do it for fun...but I do understand your frustration duke....I really do...

I think the only thing u can really do, though, is dismiss it and go on...

but take note...u will get a handfull of congratulations for hitting that 3000 mark... ;)

Hemingray
May 30, 2002, 02:20 PM
I think we've all engaged in gratuitous posting at least once or twice, but for the most part I think we're all fairly good about it! (There are a few exceptional people, but we aren't mentioning names! ;) ) Since a forum is for posting opinions and discussion, that leaves it very open for interpretation. Pretty much, as long as the post is one coherent sentence that actually pertains to the subject, I'd call it relevant and therefore welcome.

There have been many times that I've started to reply to a thread and then cancelled out of it because I really had nothing to say even though I thought I did.

Macmaniac
May 30, 2002, 02:21 PM
It looks like Dignan just an example of what not to do. I myself have gotten to 500 the hard way. Each post I do I try to add something or bring something new to macrumors. I try to avoid small posts but I admit I have done it. I hope to continue to add good disscussion to the macrumors community.

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Dignan
ALMOST 70 POSTS FOR ME!!! YES!!!!!

damn...u are lucky duke isn't like Alpha...

he'd be handing your @ss to u after that... :rolleyes:

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 02:24 PM
Duke and I are final cut pro buddies.

Im hoping this response isnt short enough that I'm "part of the problem"...so uh....

Yes, dukestreet and I have built up some first class reparte in our discussions in the macrumors board. While I admit sometimes we get off subject, we have discovered our respectible senses of humor, and will often play off that, for the good of the macrumors board.

I think that should do it...

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I think the only thing u can really do, though, is dismiss it and go on...

but take note...u will get a handfull of congratulations for hitting that 3000 mark... ;)

I didn't really get any for 1000 or 2000, but I'll not really say much anyway. Someone will no doubt mention that I'm 'catching up to eye', blah, blah, blah. I think what did it for me were the 3 threads all with my name in them. bothered me. I'm going to shut this thread down to prevent any more 'me too's' getting in here. I'm just a little miffed in general today, it happens to all of us....

and yes dignan, we do have a few back and forth banter, but there is a difference between that and saying 'i agree'