Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
This happened last night and earlier today. On my computer and all of these lines pop up and then this loud buzzing noise. I had to hold the power button to turn it off. It turns on just fine... Whats up?:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 130

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Looks like a dying Video Card to me.

If you're under Applecare you should look into taking it in if it happens again. Although when my laptop was having GPU issues the genius told me it HAD to be software related, didn't believe him for a moment.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit

If you're under Applecare you should look into taking it in if it happens again. Although when my laptop was having GPU issues the genius told me it HAD to be software related, didn't believe him for a moment.

... great...

what would the noise be from?

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
Thats exactly what my screen looked like when I installed some crucial ram.
When I put back the Apple ram all was well.

Well I got 4GB from Best Buy ( I work there) for pretty cheap. I got a 3yr damage plan. Should I take it in and get it looked at?

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Well I got 4GB from Best Buy ( I work there) for pretty cheap. I got a 3yr damage plan. Should I take it in and get it looked at?
How long has it been since you put in the ram?
I got that screen pretty much right way.
It would boot up, get to the desktop and then in seconds that would happen.

Desamell

Aug 24, 2008
This happened last night and earlier today. On my computer and all of these lines pop up and then this loud buzzing noise. I had to hold the power button to turn it off. It turns on just fine... Whats up?:mad:

obviously cuz its a macbook the onboard graphics/motherboard is dying

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston

The problem with that is... to send it to AppleCare or bring it into an Apple Retail Store you likely have to turn it off. When you turn it on, the problem is gone.

It's called Murphy's Law for Apple Computers.:rolleyes:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Loud buzzing noise, artifacts... You're fan is screwed and you're graphics are heating up.

My condoleances.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
Loud buzzing noise, artifacts... You're fan is screwed and you're graphics are heating up.

My condoleances.

No!! Its coming from the speakers. Its just beeps and clicks and random sounds really really REALLY loud!

ebutka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
The problem with that is... to send it to AppleCare or bring it into an Apple Retail Store you likely have to turn it off. When you turn it on, the problem is gone.

It's called Murphy's Law for Apple Computers.:rolleyes:

Shouldnt the picture help?

MykeHamilton

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
I had the exact same problem with my macbook pro - the motherboard died cost me £500 to fix it! Take it back ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.