PDA

View Full Version : Academy Award Nominations

P-Worm
Jan 27, 2004, 10:17 AM
Now, I have been known to say that The Academy Awards are a joke (they are in case you were wondering), but they are still a big deal.

The nominations came out yesterday and you can take a look at them here (http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/noms_list.html). Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King took 11 nominations and would tie Titanic in amount won if it took them all.

What do you guys think? I guess this mostly comes down to if you like Return of the King or not.

My biggest suprise came from Johnny Depp being nominated for his role of Captain Jack Sparrow. Although I don't think that he should get it (A pirate? C'mon, anyone can be a pirate), but I love it when more mainstream movies (public oriented) get nominated.

Love to hear what you think!

P-Worm

NP3
Jan 27, 2004, 11:37 AM
I think ROTK has a good chance at the oscars this year...

I was very surprised to find out that it won every golden globe it got nominated for.

I hope people go all out with this and give the ROTK all of the credit it deserves.

Johnny Depp-- He was awesome in Pirates....he carried the (slightly :) ) cheeky story all the way through.

My biggest surprise was for Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider...he was so awesome in that...she presented a character with so much depth...she probably won't win, but its awesome they nominated her.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 27, 2004, 11:52 AM
i thought that titanic sucked... hard.

wasn't LA Confidential out that same year? and up for most of the same awards? and it was SUCH a better movie with better acting and everything else...

ROOOOOAAAR!

comparing movies to titanic just pisses me off soooooo much cause titanic was such a waste of film... if i made a movie, i sure as heck wouldn't want anyone to compare it to titanic...

YUCK!

agreenster
Jan 27, 2004, 12:11 PM
My only thought was:

WHERE IS SEAN ASTIN?

I cannot BELIEVE that he didnt at least get a nod for Best Supporting Actor. I've never seen a performance like his before. When you can get Agreenster to shed a tear during a movie, that deserves a nod. Too bad Im not on the board, or there'd be hell to pay!

:D

I bet TheOneRing.net is going crazy.

Oh, and I think its unfair to say Titanic sucked. You may have not liked it, I may have not liked it, but a crapful of other people sure flipped out over it. it was a great chick-flick, and it was very very very well done. Give it some credit.

P-Worm
Jan 27, 2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict

i thought that titanic sucked... hard.

I couldn't agree with you more. :D

Originally posted by agreensterMy only thought was:

WHERE IS SEAN ASTIN?

I cannot BELIEVE that he didnt at least get a nod for Best Supporting Actor. I've never seen a performance like his before. When you can get Agreenster to shed a tear during a movie, that deserves a nod. Too bad Im not on the board, or there'd be hell to pay!

I forgot to mention that, I was also pissed at the lack of props to dear old Samwise Gamgee.

P-Worm

Laslo Panaflex
Jan 27, 2004, 12:49 PM
I think that ROTK will take home many awards this year. It is not becuase ROTK was such a great film (which it is) but rather the trilogy as a whole. The other two were snubed at the previous years oscars, and I think that it has to do with that they were a part a one huge film rather then by themselves. These films are great on thier own but as a whole they are an epic that connot be overlooked, and I think that this year they will not be. You can't compare a 7 year (ROTK) production to a 4 week production (lost in translation) it just doesn't make sense. In the least peter jackson should be awarding for directing such a huge epic, not many directors could do what he did, not to take anything away from others involved in the films.

ROTK gets my votes all the way.

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 01:13 PM
It's too bad that "Finding Nemo" didn't get a best picture nod, Joel Seigel of GMA listed it as his wild card pick.

It seems that "Cold Mountain" got a lot of hype, but got snubbed by Ocar.

I was pleased to see "The Master & Comander" do so well with ten nominations.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'd be surprised if Nemo didn't get the Oscar for best animated film. Brother Bear is out - they must have just put it in there so there wouldn't only be two films.

The French one is, well, French. A bit odd, mix of 3D and 2D. But a foreign anime film one last year, so I'm thinking Nemo gets it this year.

D

Macmaniac
Jan 27, 2004, 02:03 PM
Go Nemo, I hope it gets best animated movie, it has a very good chance!
As for ROTK it should win a lot, it was much better then Titanic!
Sweep Sweep:D :D

rueyeet
Jan 27, 2004, 02:56 PM
I agree that Return of the King will win on behalf of the rest of the trilogy; now that it's done, the monumental acheivement of making a really creditable film version of Tolkien's works should darn well win some Oscars, regardless of whether one personally goes for that kind of thing or not. I liked ROTK a bit less than the Fellowship, but much more than the Two Towers, and felt it was a good movie to wrap up the trilogy.

As for Johnny Depp getting a nomination for Capt. Jack Sparrow, well, anyone may be able to play A pirate, but only Johnny Depp could have played THAT particular pirate in the way that he did. He absolutely carried that movie, and did such an excellent characterization of Sparrow. He won't win, but I'm glad they gave him the credit.

jrv3034
Jan 27, 2004, 04:33 PM
As stated above, ROTK will sweep the Oscars this year, as well it should. Voters were waiting for the third installment to give it one big award ceremony for what is essentially one big movie.

Johnny Depp was awesome, but he won't win. Sean Penn in Mystic River will. Sean Astin should have gotten nominated.

Nemo would have been good for Best Picture, and will definitely take Best Animated film.

As for Titanic, I thought it was great. A good love story set against an epic background... it was a modern Romeo & Juliet, with spectacular visuals.

Rower_CPU
Jan 27, 2004, 05:05 PM
Interesting to see Boundin' (the Pixar short) in for animated short film. Has anyone seen a full version of this anywhere?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Interesting to see Boundin' (the Pixar short) in for animated short film. Has anyone seen a full version of this anywhere?

I was going to mention this earlier - they get nominated for it, but its not released? What gives?

My original thought was that after seeing the preview, that it would show before the new movie coming out this summer, The Incredibles.

Weird

D

Awimoway
Jan 27, 2004, 05:51 PM
Overall, I thought the nomination choices this year were pretty good. My highlights:

The vastly overrated Oscar-pandering movie Cold Mountain was pretty much snubbed. Nice work!!!

Keisha Castle-Hughes of Whale Rider was excellent and definitely deserved the nod. Can you imagine how weird it would be to be just a fourteen-year-old from out-of-the-way New Zealand (no offense to our Kiwi friends :)) and already be a best actress nominee? The nomination alone will stay with her the rest of her life. Well, she definitely earned it. The Academy's actual awards, however, almost never go to daring choices, so I'd say this is as good as it's going to get for her (this year, at least).

And I'm quite surprised to see that Master and Commander got so many nominations. It was a fine film, but somehow I thought it wasn't being paid much heed by the industry. I guess I was wrong.

agreenster
Jan 28, 2004, 01:24 PM
I cant believe that Nemo lost to Lost in Translation for the Golden Globe's. What a pile of BS THAT is. I mean, TOTAL absolute insect-infested Bull *****.

It must be a Copolla clique thing.

And speaking of Pixar, I cant believe they got away with submitting a short film to the Academy before the public got to see the full version. That sucks! I supposed if its finished in 2003, then they can enter it. Go to pixar.com to see the sneak peek. You can download it with QT Pro.

Guess we'll have to wait til the Incredibles....