PDA

View Full Version : Judder in HDC-SD100 AVCHD video

ebenabbaan
Oct 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hi all,

I posted this in another thread but thought I would try here as well. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I just bought a new Panasonic HDC-SD100, and I connect the camera to my comp, pick and choose the clips I want in the Log and Transfer window (Final Cut Pro 6), and they copy to my hard drive. Really easy and quick.

My problem: several clips in a recent hour's worth of footage stutter, or judder (I noticed this while editing; the clips have been transcoded to ProRes422). By stutter, I mean there are brief sequences of five or six (up to ten) frames that incorrectly play: Frame A, Frame B, Frame A, Frame B.... so on, before finally jumping to Frame G, Frame H, Frame I, Frame J, and so on continuing correctly. Like a DJ on turntables, except it is not cool.

But.

ON THE CAMERA the video plays back properly. But then when I tried RE-transferring the footage, I get the same "stutter" at the same place.

Does all solid-state media come with these kinds of problems? Is it a problem with the media? I'm hoping there are other out there with similar problems who can inform me... I may have to return this camera.

Thanks,

Cyrus

nutmac
Oct 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
I use Canon HF100 with Final Cut Express on lowly 20" iMac (original Core Duo 2 GHz with 2 GB RAM), which transcodes AVCHD to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) only. And I haven't seen the problem you described.

Without knowing which computer you own, I suspect Pro Res might be too much for your Mac to playback. Try importing as AIC and see if the problem disappears.

If you are thinking of returning the camcorder, I would get either Canon's HF-series (HF100, HF10, HF11) or Sony HDR-CX12 flash memory AVCHD camcorder. Although SD100 has better ergonomics and greater manual features, Canon and Sony perform much better under low light (and of course, good lighting as well). A larger single CMOS sensor is better than 3 small CMOS sensors.

ebenabbaan
Oct 8, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have an 8-core Mac Pro, so it's not the horsepower I don't think.

I will try transcoding to the AIC and see if that works.

By the way, the HDC-SD100 manual features are OKAY. They are there, but that are not that great. I would gladly trade good low-light performance for the manual features, because shooting at night just doesn't look good.

Cyrus

CMD is me
Oct 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wish I had a 8 core! I also have the HF100 and a MBP. Using iMovie it seems to work fine. I don't even mind iMovie '08. Though I'm yet to figure out what to do with any edited video. My MBP doesn't like playing back 1080 very well, AppleTV forces you to drop to 540p and I can't get a .MOV or .MP4 to play on a PS3 for some reason! For now I just watch the raw AVCHD files -- at least it's easy to navigate through and you can delete what didn't turn out, unlike on a tape! With your SD100 I believe you can split clips and delete what you don't want directly on the camera. Nice feature if so... at least until editing/playback devises catch up with the camera!

alexmaron
Oct 8, 2008, 10:18 PM
I bought a Canon HF100, tried to transfer the files to my system and nothing never happens. I used Imovie 2008, nothing. I bought Final Cut Express, nothing. I plug the camera in and keep receiving the message: "CANON" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

I have a Mac Book 2008 (2,4 ghz intel core 2 Duo, with 2 gb).

I tryed plugging the camera. Than, I tried with the disc reader. Nothing. Nothing. Finally, I mounted an image. Nothing again. The same message on FCE: "CANON" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media. On Imovie it doesn't even starts.

HELP!!!

nutmac
Oct 8, 2008, 11:46 PM
I bought a Canon HF100, tried to transfer the files to my system and nothing never happens. I used Imovie 2008, nothing. I bought Final Cut Express, nothing.
I use the USB SDHC reader (free one that came with SanDisk Extreme III memory card) and all I have to do is select Log & Transfer option in Final Cut Express. Make sure HF100's USB option is turned on for file transfer.

alexmaron
Oct 9, 2008, 05:00 AM
It should be pretty straight forward. But, somehow, doesn't work with me.

I make a test clip.

Then I connect the camera and start Final Cut. I go to Log and Transfer and I have to click on Add Custom Path (on the middle upper right of the screen).

That is when it gets tricky. I select the Canon disk. Bam!! I get that message: "CANON" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

Then, I try selecting each and every folder. And the same message comes.

I tried formatting the disk. Doesn't change anything.

I changed the camera settings. 60p, XP+... The same keeps happening over and over:

"CANON" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

(...)

"CANON" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

What am I doing wrong?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Courtaj
Oct 9, 2008, 06:27 AM
What am I doing wrong?

Hijacking someone else's thread with a totally different question for starters.

alexmaron
Oct 9, 2008, 06:57 AM
I am sorry for that. I'll open a new thread and don't bother you guys here.

It was not my intention to hijack anything. I did a search on Canono HF100 and got here. Somehow, in the middle, Canon entered the discussion.

alexicz
Dec 22, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hey

I'm having a similar problem - v frustrating.

Have hooked up the video camera to a new iMac / Final Cut Express -
go to try CAPTURE [as it says to do on the net]

"Unable to initialize HDV deck. Please make sure connected.."

so - i try to LOG & TRANSFER
a window comes up showing my clips.
if i try drag them into the bin / or where it says drag media
- it says "clip qued - idle" & nothing happens !!!

have tried to get them into iMOVIE - but that crashes as soon as i try.
can't work it out

can anyone please HELP !!!?

thank you !