Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Hi there! I've got a project which was made in Imovie and have been asked to send it on ether Betacam SP 9PAL);Digital Betacam or DV cam. It's probably obvious to some of you but I'm lost here: How do you actually safe your project on the cassette? IMovie is giving me options to save it in variety of formats (the right ones as well), but how do I transfer it to DVcam? The only means for me s my Mac (camcoder given away long ago) and the file's going to be huge as well!!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!!
Thank you!

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
Betacam is a physical tape, same with DVCAM, HDCAM, etc.

You need to export the a high quality MOV of the video and take it to a post house, like Shooters in Philadelphia. DVCAM decks are the cheapest of what you listed, but still are over two thousand dollars.

Look into taking it to a post house where you are from.

gooshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
thank you so much
the problem is I live in LONDON!! :)
I saved the best resolution copy and it's 13Gigabytes..would a place like that save it on the tape directly from my computer as I don't want to loose the quality.
thank you again

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What source material did you use?

Has the exported movie the same quality as your source material in your timeline?

Be sure to use a codec like DV PAL or better.

If the film is 1 hour long, the 13GB in DV PAL codec is more than fine.

London has a lot of film schools or academies, which have the right equipment for you (for a small fee).

There's one academy in Soho which was kind enough to lend us a camera, it's the Westminster Kingsway College near Piccadilly Circus on Peter Street.

PS: Be sure to take your exported film with you on an external drive readable by both Windows and Mac OS (FAT32) so the import won't be such a hassle. I don't remember what editing systems they used (Avid or Final Cut), but I think I saw some Macs there (in 2006).

gooshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
hi there
I shot it in HD and the saved file is actually Quick Time Mov file with best resolution 1920 1080 and it's definitely not better quality than the material I used. The movie is 24 mins long.

Thank you so much for a quick reply.I understand I will have to save it on an external disc with enough capacity as I really don't want to lose the quality (the movie's gonna be shown on a big screen) . The program is giving me all the format options (PAL/NTSC and so on) so I really can't decide which option is the best for me to save it and finally get rid of a 120Gigabytes project!!! Is it possible to then change it to let's say PAL format?? Sorry am used to working on digital.
I will definitely check the place was trying to google London srvices for that but they all specialize in transferring data the other way round.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As you already seem to know, Betacam SP, Digi Beta and DV Cam are all SD formats (PAL or NTSC, maybe SECAM in France), so you need to blow down the HD film you made to PAL (720/768x576 pixel) while maintaining the aspect ratio.

As I have not had that "problem" yet you should search the Intarweb for guides to downsizing your exported video.

Is the film meant for broadcast?

PS: By changing to PAL format, do you mean the entire project's media files?
You still have to original takes on tape, don't you? If so, than you can delete the media files and just keep the Project folder (with all the bins and effects and sequences). If you ever need to edit the film again, you can just batch capture the takes you need.

gooshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
yep
the software can reduce HD to PAL or whatever format no problem. Am just so happy with the amazin quality that don't want to lose it :)

The tape is needed to be screened at the festival. we'll see bout the broadcasting!

Good idea as still have most of the material on the tape, will just safe the project folder.

Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.