PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion needed.....

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 12:04 AM
First off, just 4 days ago i bought my first Mac. Its the 2.4GHz white.
Im VERY VERY happy with it. i love it!
My one and only concern is about these new MacBooks that are comming out supposedly on the 14th. From best buy i believe i have 14 days to return a computer. my question to you is, is it worth it? Are these new MacBooks going to be that much better? Like i said im very happy with what i have but just the fact that less than 2 weeks after me buying it a new model comes out... im really torn on what to do.

Anything that anyone has to say will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

:apple:

doobi18
Oct 9, 2008, 12:08 AM
If you can return it no strings attatched, i would do so.

You have just paid premium price for technology that is most probably going to be superceded very soon.

You may as well buy the latest freshest technology which will be the freshest technology for quite a while.

The new MBs are purported to have superior industrial design and perhaps proper graphics card (none of the current GMA rubbish).

Hope that helps,

Doobs

richard.mac
Oct 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
new aluminium MacBooks are definitely coming out soon. we dont know the exact release date as only Apple knows but sources point to Oct 14th. i would take it back as new redesigned MacBooks will be released sooner or later. it depends on if you really need a Mac now or will hate yourself for not getting the newer MacBook.

GimmeSlack12
Oct 9, 2008, 12:11 AM
No one here can say anything definite and if you're really happy with your Mac then you are probably better off not worrying about the possible updates and go on enjoying what you have.

People here get in a tizzy every month about possible updates.

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 12:11 AM
If you can return it no strings attatched, i would do so.

You have just paid premium price for technology that is most probably going to be superceded very soon.

You may as well buy the latest freshest technology which will be the freshest technology for quite a while.

The new MBs are purported to have superior industrial design and perhaps proper graphics card (none of the current GMA rubbish).

Hope that helps,

Doobs

i understand what your saying.. i think there might be a small restocking fee but the ne MB's are supposed to be cheaper anyways so maybe money wise it will be even but i get the new computer... i dont know what to do.

Jatku
Oct 9, 2008, 12:13 AM
If you're willing to pay a 15% restocking fee...

Maybe check what has been updated. Besides, we aren't 100% sure it's coming out in a week.

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 12:16 AM
new aluminium MacBooks are definitely coming out soon. we dont know the exact release date as only Apple knows but sources point to Oct 14th. i would take it back as new redesigned MacBooks will be released sooner or later. it depends on if you really need a Mac now or will hate yourself for not getting the newer MacBook.

yea thats my dilema.. i need a computer now so its all going to depend if the new ones come out within the next 10 days. (thats how long i have on my return to best buy)

im so torn between what to do.. this macbook i have is established, all the kinks are worked out pretty much. i dont want to buy a new complete redesign that im gonna be a guinea finding all the bugs and having to deal with them.
:confused:

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 12:17 AM
If you're willing to pay a 15% restocking fee...

Maybe check what has been updated. Besides, we aren't 100% sure it's coming out in a week.

ive heard the new ones will be cheaper so i was hoping that restocking fee worked into the lower price would kinda break even. i wouldnt be getting any money back but id be getting the newest computer i could

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 12:19 AM
No one here can say anything definite and if you're really happy with your Mac then you are probably better off not worrying about the possible updates and go on enjoying what you have.

People here get in a tizzy every month about possible updates.

i guess you could look at it as something better is ALWAYS "right around the corner"

i think your right! im happy. im gonna just be happy and not worry about the new macbook...

thanks

sushi
Oct 9, 2008, 12:25 AM
i guess you could look at it as something better is ALWAYS "right around the corner"
Exactly right. This happens all the time.

The last laptop that I purchased, I did so after the new models were released so I got mine at a discount. :)

And I didn't have to worry about updates coming soon. :D

Seriously, buy what you need when you actually need it. Then you won't regret your decision to to purchase a new computer.

Samarium
Oct 9, 2008, 12:48 AM
I have the same MacBook and I don't feel that I have an under-speced machine. If you can exchange it for free, go ahead. If not, well enjoy it.

ti2ibal1
Oct 9, 2008, 01:14 AM
This is something I was actually considering also, until I remembered that I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee... :(

I plan on upgrading the memory to 4gb and calling it a day. I am amazed with this laptop and have no regrets with making the purchase.

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 01:37 AM
This is something I was actually considering also, until I remembered that I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee... :(

I plan on upgrading the memory to 4gb and calling it a day. I am amazed with this laptop and have no regrets with making the purchase.

Good call! I'm gonna just do the same.
What brand of ram were u going to pick up? Do u think it matters?

ti2ibal1
Oct 9, 2008, 01:41 AM
Good call! I'm gonna just do the same.
What brand of ram were u going to pick up? Do u think it matters?

I'm not sure what brand yet. I just picked this thing up last weekend. It's my first Mac! :D I've gotta do some research. Any ideas?

I figured 4gb can't hurt. I will primarily use my Macbook to dump .RAW files from my camera to. Photoshop is a resource hog, so I figured 4gb would be better than 2. Photoshop + iTunes + FireFox = the more memory the better! :cool:

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure what brand yet. I just picked this thing up last weekend. It's my first Mac! :D I've gotta do some research. Any ideas?

I figured 4gb can't hurt. I will primarily use my Macbook to dump .RAW files from my camera to. Photoshop is a resource hog, so I figured 4gb would be better than 2. Photoshop + iTunes + FireFox = the more memory the better! :cool:

first mac for me too! :D
just got mine sunday.
i forgot the brand but just saw at wal-mart a 2gb was $69.. so for about $140 we could be running 4gb.
have you seen how easy it is to change? i watched a video on you tube. im talkin like under a minute!

shady825
Oct 9, 2008, 01:56 AM
@ ti2ibal1:
do you have AIM? hit me up if you do.. i gotta question for you but i cant figure out how to private message on here

ti2ibal1
Oct 9, 2008, 02:02 AM
first mac for me too! :D
just got mine sunday.
i forgot the brand but just saw at wal-mart a 2gb was $69.. so for about $140 we could be running 4gb.
have you seen how easy it is to change? i watched a video on you tube. im talkin like under a minute!

I got mine Saturday evening. :p

I just watched a video. Holy smokes it's simple! I'll tell my girlfriend I want more memory for Christmas. No rush! :)

No AIM, but I've got Yahoo! It's ti2ibal1. I'll add you on MySpace.