PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing!

Lincoln
Jan 27, 2004, 05:29 PM
Well at last the weather forecast was right! We finally have snow in the UK (well in the East Midlands anyway). We don't get it very often so it's a big event. If it carries on at this rate I ight not be able to get too work:)

Our 3 dogs love the snow and ran riot in the garden, typically as soon as the camera came out they decided to come in except one.

I managed to get a few piccies:
Snow Pictures (http://homepage.mac.com/chris_bennett/PhotoAlbum2.html)

Goodnight all.

Awimoway
Jan 27, 2004, 05:40 PM
Happy Day! er, Night...

I lived for three years, when I was young, in the UK, in Oxon. I remember one winter (it was either 86 or 87) when it snowed a little after Christmas pretty good. There wasn't another snow storm that winter, but the depth combined with the cold kept patches of snow on the ground until early March. I remember being amazed that it could last that long.

rainman::|:|
Jan 27, 2004, 06:04 PM
you may get some flames from people in the states for praising snow ;)

ever had freezing rain, or sleet? that's always fun... it's best when you get about a cm of ice coating everything, then it snows a few inches... you'll never take steering for granted again.

paul

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

ever had freezing rain, or sleet? that's always fun... it's best when you get about a cm of ice coating everything, then it snows a few inches... you'll never take steering for granted again.

paul

I happen to love snow, so no complaints from this person in the states. We are expecting 6 - 10" of snow here in Boston. It's expected to begin around midnight and to end by 12n tomorrow. Our temperature is in the 20's, so they are expecting light fluffy snow. It's the kind that accumulates fast.

Cursor
Jan 27, 2004, 07:27 PM
I'm not complaining either. It's snowing another 5-7 inches right now in to tomorrow, on top of the 6 inches of snow and ice we got yesterday and the day before!! Shoveling is a pain, but there is just something about snow that makes everything seem peaceful and quiet.

Thirteenva
Jan 27, 2004, 07:40 PM
You can have some of our snow, i've had enough of it...

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Thirteenva
You can have some of our snow, i've had enough of it...

I'm sorry to hear that you dislike snow. Here in Boston we've had 25." so far this season. Sady it's all gone except a dusting. How much have you had so far?

WinterMute
Jan 27, 2004, 08:15 PM
Yup, snowing down here too, it's 2:10am, and I have to go to Pinewood Studios tomorrow, it's well North of London and I just hope it doesn't get as bad as they say it might, the lanes around Pinewood will be impassable...:mad:

I do love snow, but only under a snowmobile, or out of the window of a particularly warm and well stocked hotel room.

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I happen to love snow, so no complaints from this person in the states. We are expecting 6 - 10" of snow here in Boston. It's expected to begin around midnight and to end by 12n tomorrow. Our temperature is in the 20's, so they are expecting light fluffy snow. It's the kind that accumulates fast. I wish it was going to be the wet fat clumpy snow, it's much more photogenic. On the other hand, no classes = GOOD!

bousozoku
Jan 27, 2004, 08:40 PM
I love snow, I love it far away. That might explain why I'm no longer in Philly.

I thought it only snowed in England in films. Enjoy how special it is when you rarely have it. When it's there every day, you learn to hate it.

latergator116
Jan 27, 2004, 09:30 PM
I thought it only snowed in England in films. Enjoy how special it is when you rarely have it. When it's there every day, you learn to hate it.

Totally agree. I have to walk to scholl everyday and it is a pain in the snow.. ecspecially when the sidewalks arent shoveled. So that forces me to walk in the street where there is tons of slush and the cars spray it at you when you drive by. Snow would be great... if it were gone after two days.

SiliconAddict
Jan 27, 2004, 09:37 PM
LOL. People from other various states keep telling me that Minnesota is supost to be the home of cold weather and an ***load of snow. I think in the last 2 years NY has gotten more then us and has been colder. So :p Then again in the last two weeks we’ve had multiple below 0 days. I was 9 when I moved up here from Florida. I still remember swimming in the wintertime down there. LOL not anymore.

PS- Enough of this white death! Bring on Spring and PowerBook G5's!

Thirteenva
Jan 27, 2004, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you dislike snow. Here in Boston we've had 25." so far this season. Sady it's all gone except a dusting. How much have you had so far?

Probably about the same, I'm in eastern PA

bousozoku
Jan 27, 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
Totally agree. I have to walk to scholl everyday and it is a pain in the snow.. ecspecially when the sidewalks arent shoveled. So that forces me to walk in the street where there is tons of slush and the cars spray it at you when you drive by. Snow would be great... if it were gone after two days.

It will give you something to tell your grandchildren some day. :D

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:40 PM
I had to walk uphill both ways to school!

Well, that is if I had actually walked to school, but it would have been uphill, because I had to cross the Blackstone River.

latergator116
Jan 27, 2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
It will give you something to tell your grandchildren some day. :D

If I don't get hit by a car a die after being forced to walk into the street.:p

Awimoway
Jan 27, 2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
. . . I have to go to Pinewood Studios tomorrow . . .

Cool. Working on any project in particular?

bousozoku
Jan 28, 2004, 01:12 AM
If I don't get hit by a car a die after being forced to walk into the street.:p

...while you're stuck in a 4 inch pothole filled with water. :D

I'd like to be back in Philly for Christmas--even NYC would do. A little snow isn't too bad; however, one of my last memories is 24 inches on Sunday followed by 6 inches on Friday. :eek:

virividox
Jan 28, 2004, 05:17 AM
its only snowing lightly here.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 28, 2004, 05:57 AM
...wait till you see what conditions are like here! We got (in layers, from bottom to top) snow, freezing rain, rain, more freezing rain, and more snow just in the past two days! Driving is a nightmare here; many of the local school districts have been closed yesterday and are closed once again today. Just overnight we picked up a good 3" of snow accumulation (some of that due to lake-effect).

Mark James
Jan 28, 2004, 06:08 AM
It snowed half-heartedly for 20 minutes in sunny Sarf London this morning.

This usually results in there being no train service for the remainder of the week, due to 'adverse weather conditions'.

edesignuk
Jan 28, 2004, 06:09 AM
Yup, we got snow down here to! My brother (11yrs old) is very excited :)

...not looking forward to the drive have later on...:(

johnnyjibbs
Jan 28, 2004, 06:42 AM
It's stopped snowing here now in Durham - got only an inch or two up here.

I bet at home in Essex there was none...

edesignuk
Jan 28, 2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
I bet at home in Essex there was none...
I am in Essex (well, not at the moment, I'm at work in London), but it is snowing in Essex :)

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2004, 07:15 AM
I can't believe this. THERE'S NO ****ING SNOW IN BOSTON! :mad: :mad: :mad:

johnnyjibbs
Jan 28, 2004, 07:15 AM
Looks like most of blighty got some then. Ah well, too bad we didn't get enough here for it to be disruptive :D

latergator116
Jan 28, 2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
I can't believe this. THERE'S NO ****ING SNOW IN BOSTON! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Really? We have sbow here in Providence, but we apparentl missed the big storm.

edesignuk
Jan 28, 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Ah well, too bad we didn't get enough here for it to be disruptive :D
heh, yeah, I'm gutted :mad: But enough my car to slide all over the place on any untreated/hardly used roads :rolleyes:

Nik_Doof
Jan 28, 2004, 07:45 AM
Snow? heh! The nice chemical atmosphere here stops any snow from fallings...been raining here in Widnes :)

Raid
Jan 28, 2004, 10:24 AM
Well I hope you enjoy the snow! I think everybody should at least experince playing in the snow once in their lives. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve Tobogganing down steep hills on crazy carpets, devil dishes, and of course GT snow-racers. Then there's the snow fort building, and resulting epic snowball battles. You'd come home cold, wet, and tired but you went home smiling. :)

candan9019
Jan 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
We didn't get hit by the storm that got Toronto but we still have tons of lake effect snow from Georgian Bay. It started in the begining of January and hasn't given us much of a break. The snow bank is over my head.

I'm used to front range Colorado where most of the time all you get is an inch or two every few weeks that mealted in a few days.

Originally posted by Raid
and of course GT snow-racers.

I had one of those, I loved that thing. Mine went missing after I moved to Louisiana though, I wonder why.

edesignuk
Jan 28, 2004, 01:53 PM
Ok, I officially hate the ********* snow!!!! :mad: :mad: It just took me 1 1/2hrs to do a journey that normally takes 5.7mins!!! ARGH!

iGav
Jan 28, 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Ok, I officially hate the ********* snow!!!! :mad: :mad: It just took me 1 1/2hrs to do a journey that normally takes 5.7mins!!! ARGH!

Don't hate.... love.... ;)

or buy an Audi Allroad... I've found one on Autotrader in Silver for 15 daddy G's! ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2004, 02:07 PM
We just had a small storm here in DC the past couple days - yesterday afternoon the Federal Gov't sent everyone home at 2:00 PM afraid of what the rush hour would be like in snow and ice :D

Wimps - not many people in DC can drive correctly in the snow. I drove home at 6:30 and didn't have a problem (also I drove a Subaru Outback, all wheel drive - which helps).

My favorite thing to hate is when you get some moron in the left lane with their hazard lights blinking, going 25 mph....:rolleyes:

If you're that worried about the snow, then don't drive and get off the road so you don't cause an accident.

D

Raid
Jan 28, 2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
My favorite thing to hate is when you get some moron in the left lane with their hazard lights blinking, going 25 mph....:rolleyes:

If you're that worried about the snow, then don't drive and get off the road so you don't cause an accident.

D

I forgot to ask that to our friends across the pond. Most of the news footage we see here is traffic accidents in the areas where snowfalls are rare. Contrary to Mr. Anderson's comment most of them are maniacs trying to drive 75mph in half a foot of snow ... and here's the shocker... they crashed into someone/something! :eek: :rolleyes: If somebody was driving real slow in the left lane I would incourage them to move over, but they are much better than the ones trying to speed!

wdlove
Jan 28, 2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

It would have been more impressive if you had your bus. That might have got him to properly move to the right lane. We have the same problem here in New England. All you can really do is take some slow dep breaths.

Here in Boston we didn't get the storm as predicted. No 6 - 8" by 8am. It did start to lightly snow after 9am, maybe 2". As of 3pm it is still snowing lightly.

WinterMute
Jan 28, 2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
Cool. Working on any project in particular?

Just got back through the blizzard...:D

I'm mixing the new logo audio for Warner Village Cinemas, it's a big 5.1 surround thing.

Should roll out in England next month.

They've got a lovely new Euphonix 5000 desk, see the pic... very nice indeed.

Mark James
Jan 28, 2004, 07:26 PM
So... in my neck of Sarf London we had a whopping 3/4" of snow this afternoon. This evening my wife had to drive from New Cross Gate to Honor Oak Park, a distance of two miles, to collect our Things from the childminder.

The Borough Councils of both Lewisham and Southwark had neglected to salt the roads, despite this snowfall being correctly forecast for the last week. Actually I take that back: Lewisham BC had salted the A20, a road so busy, 24 hours a day, that the carbon monoxide generated could melt the polar icecaps.

The two mile journey encompasses three hills of 1:8 (one is briefly actually 1:5). Each way, naturally. Cars are expected to stop at the bottom of these hills to join larger roads. On unsalted roads, where the snow is rapidly compacting into ice. Some hope.

The family survived the 90 minute unscathed, but it was, I'm told, a Demolition Derby. Exactly the same as last year. Is salt more expensive than body shops and insurance premiums, I wonder?

wdlove
Jan 28, 2004, 08:28 PM
Really? We have sbow here in Providence, but we apparently missed the big storm.

Yes, we definitely once again missed a big storm. The meteorologists were predicting that the snow was to be heavier to the South of Boston.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 01:41 PM
Yes its snowing and thats great ! I just decided to drive to austria for the weekend to go skiing.

Looking forward to that.

aethier
Jan 29, 2004, 02:32 PM
I hate snow, stupid seasons are not balanced, winter is way longer then summer, and is so damn cold in the winter, then summer is supper hot... errr...

aetrhier

latergator116
Jan 29, 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by aethier
I hate snow, stupid seasons are not balanced, winter is way longer then summer, and is so damn cold in the winter, then summer is supper hot... errr...

aetrhier

I feel the same way. Middle-late spring is my favorite time of year. Winter is by far my least favorite season. I just find it so depressing.

Counterfit
Jan 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
and you call yourself a New Englander gator... :rolleyes:

Roger1
Jan 29, 2004, 06:32 PM
Anybody in the States watch the Weather Channel? Showed some guy getting knocked over by a plow, then buried by a second plow- I think it was in NY somewhere :D

In Michigan, we ended up with about 8 inches, and ice. And since my one snowblower is broken and the other decided to break, I got to shovel this week. My back is still thanking me..:D

Capt Underpants
Jan 29, 2004, 07:48 PM
I do love snow! We don't get hardly ANY of it down here in Texas, but when we do have a wintry storm (usually just a thin layer of ice and what not), its fun to slide around in. Plus people down here cant drive worth a flip in it, because it snows/sleets so little. Schools end up closing for just a tiny winter storm.... which is cool, I guess.

latergator116
Jan 29, 2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
and you call yourself a New Englander gator... :rolleyes:

ech!, I like New England.... just not the weather.;)

wdlove
Jan 31, 2004, 08:46 PM
I feel the same way. Middle-late spring is my favorite time of year. Winter is by far my least favorite season. I just find it so depressing.

Spring is my least favorite season, it is cold & wet. Then it gets hot and humid, never had any real nice Spring weather here in NE since I arrived in 1984. Summer is my least favorite, depressing because of so much hot and humid weather. Fall is the best weather here in NE all the nice sunny crisp Fall day, its up lifting. I greatly enjoy the Winter because of snow. This month only 4.9", normal is 13.5." But is the coldest January since 1893 and the 6th direst on record.

hacking_4_b33r
Feb 1, 2004, 04:21 PM
snow is sooo damn lame, how could you complain that there is no snow?

i live in Canada and im sick of snow, I can't wait till it is gone and i can actually go outside without having to worry bout slipping and smashing my face in, we are warm blooded mammals, we should live in a warm climate.

i want to lie on a beach, not shovel my driveway!

latergator116
Feb 1, 2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by hacking_4_b33r

i live in Canada and im sick of snow, I can't wait till it is gone and i can actually go outside without having to worry bout slipping and smashing my face in, we are warm blooded mammals, we should live in a warm climate.

Couldn't have said it better. Thats is why I am moving to California.:D

Counterfit
Feb 1, 2004, 10:42 PM
we are warm blooded mammals, we should live in a warm climate. That would work if we were cold blooded, (that means you get heat from your surroundings). But we're not, and we can generate heat inside our bodies, which makes it possible, with adequate insulation, to survive in such cold climates.

Besides, who cancels school on account of too much sun? :rolleyes:

Awimoway
Feb 2, 2004, 12:56 AM
we are warm blooded mammals, we should live in a warm climate

Wrong. You can dress warm and protect yourself from the cold. But when it gets outrageously hot or humid, you can't unzip your skin and walk around in your bones. I despise the heat. I've been living in deserts since I was 12 (I am now 28) and I hate them. My ancestors were English and Norwegian. I need cloudy, clammy, cool weather, and I need it now, dammit. I have a family history of skin cancer, I burn in 20 minutes, my pigment-less eyes are blinded by the sun (not to mention the headaches that damned thing gives me), and heat makes me mean and angry. The worst part is when I feel like passing out every time I get into my car and it's 4000º F inside.

Needless to say, I hope to be moving north fairly soon. I've been hoping since 1987, but there's been one thing after another. Sigh.

hacking_4_b33r
Feb 2, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'm 24 why on earth would i care about school closings?

and so what if my body generates heat, lets see you sit naked in the Northwest Territories and generate heat.

and when the rescue teams find your cold
popsicle-laden body.

don't tell me i didn't warn you...

and for those of you who live in the desert i only have this to say...WHY ON EARTH DO YOU LIVE IN THE DESERT!

the desert is a wasteland.

"hey nothing grows here and its boiling hot, just look at my sunburn!"

"hey, lets move here!!!"

like cmon people...

themadchemist
Feb 2, 2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

paul

I'm with you, paul! But it gets even better when it's too cold to snow and you can feel your hands freezing within your gloves as you make the mile-long walk to class...I want to be a surgeon someday, so this is particularly annoying.

Counterfit
Feb 2, 2004, 02:37 PM
and so what if my body generates heat, lets see you sit naked in the Northwest Territories and generate heat.
That's where this stuff called "intelligence" comes in and you dress to insulate yourself from the cold, keeping the warmth generated by your body around your body. Your body generates heat until you die (with a few exceptions). Did you ever take biology?

hacking_4_b33r
Feb 2, 2004, 02:49 PM
all im trying to say is that snow sucks.

I hate not being able to sit out in the sun, or go camping or swimming, or sit outside with my wireless ibook.

all i do in the winter is sit inside or pay for overpriced movies and watch tv.

oh and i always miss drinking pints on the patio.

someone please build a weather machine!

Counterfit
Feb 2, 2004, 07:31 PM
all im trying to say is that snow sucks.

I hate not being able to sit out in the sun, or go camping or swimming, or sit outside with my wireless ibook.

all i do in the winter is sit inside or pay for overpriced movies and watch tv.

oh and i always miss drinking pints on the patio.

someone please build a weather machine! Or you could move and quit your bitching about something you can't control. Besides, the level at which snow sucks is completely relative.

bousozoku
Feb 2, 2004, 08:13 PM
People move here because they hate the snow. Then, July comes and they complain about the heat and humidity. :D

The grass is always greener...

I think the weather is great here. It reminds me of Japan in the summer. Any time I miss the snow, I just think about -26 degrees F and my frostbite.

wdlove
Feb 6, 2004, 12:30 PM
Happily we are getting some snow here in Boston today. So far approximately 2 - 3" of snow. Sadly it has changed to sleet.

I'm still getting to look out side and looking at the beautiful snow.

jelloshotsrule
Feb 6, 2004, 12:45 PM
when will this cold ass weather and stupid ****ing snow stop?!??!?!

i just want to walk around outside and not have to worry about when i'll be inside again to get warm.. ahh

latergator116
Feb 6, 2004, 01:30 PM
Happily we are getting some snow here in Boston today. So far approximately 2 - 3" of snow. Sadly it has changed to sleet.

ech! It is snowing here too.:(

It was actually pretty nice here a few days ago. I was outside in a sweater and it was very comfortable.

hacking_4_b33r
Feb 6, 2004, 01:36 PM

man, are you ned flanders?
you remind me of that dennis leary song *******.

"I walk around in the summertime saying how about this heat."

wdlove
Feb 6, 2004, 10:38 PM
man, are you ned flanders?
you remind me of that dennis leary song *******.

"I walk around in the summertime saying how about this heat."

I just happen to love winter. The snow is great, except when it is wet and heavy like today. Makes it difficult to shovel. It's neat to work outside and not to sweat. :)

Summer with it's heat and humidity is very uncomfortable for me! :(

Capt Underpants
Feb 8, 2004, 10:55 AM

I don't want so much snow that I can't get out of my house, I want enough snow to, for once in my life, build a life sized SNOW man. Not ICE/SNOW/MIXED things that we get down here. I'm sure too much snow sucks. I'd also like to go skiing or learn how to snowboard or something. Not happenin down here.

hacking_4_b33r
Feb 8, 2004, 10:57 AM
a snowman??? are you 8 years old?

Capt Underpants
Feb 8, 2004, 06:44 PM

No, I'm 14 and I feel halfway deprived. I havent ever built a life sizes snowman (that would be sooo cool). I haven't even had a friggin snowball fight! You may hate the snow, but you don't have to be so rude in saying that you hate snow and jumping on other people's backs because they like it . My thoughts are my thoughts. Your thoughts are yours, so chill!

3rdpath
Feb 8, 2004, 07:05 PM
ahhh, another barefoot day in shorts & t-shirt here in southern california...

:D

themadchemist
Feb 8, 2004, 07:17 PM

stop insulting people and trying to pick a fight.

SilvorX
Feb 8, 2004, 08:10 PM
I live in Western Canada, in some places we get up to if not more than 6ft of snow, from right after xmas to about 2 weeks ago it snowed almost every day, snow here is pretty common, sure some parts of Canada don't get snow in the winter, but winter is winter, I dont mind the snow, it's the cold weather I cant stand, we had 2 weeks straight of up to -50 weather, some of those days being just windchills, while others there were no windchills at all, I wished that my university classes would be cancelled but the wouldn't have anyways.. stupid midterms