PDA

View Full Version : REALLY random music question

cleo
May 30, 2002, 07:14 PM
OK, this has about zero to do with Macs, but you guys all seem to have really diverse musical tastes, so it seems appropriate to ask for opinions.

I just bought the most recent Sister Hazel CD, Fortress, off half.com. The second cut ("Back Porch") on the CD is about 30 seconds long with no vocals or anything. I really, really like the style of music, but I have no idea what to classify it as, and therefore what to look for to buy some. My dad says it sounds to him like old (as in, 30's and 40's) blues.

Does anyone have the CD and know what I'm talking about? I don't want to just post the mp3 somewhere, but if you know something about blues-jazz-(possibly?)bluegrass-ish music, PM me and I'll email it to ya.

Thanks for humoring my randomness. :D

eyelikeart
May 30, 2002, 07:24 PM
I don't have the CD...but I'd be happy to get the track...

I have a small amount of Blues in my iTunes library...

might be able to steer u in a direction...

britboy
May 30, 2002, 08:13 PM
The web site allmusic.com has it listed as "American Trad Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge". Any help?

You can read their comments here (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Aevj9kextaq7q).

cleo
May 30, 2002, 08:45 PM
Britboy... not quite, but thanks for the link... that's a cool site. This particular song is really random and doesn't sound at all like any of their other stuff. Very strange.

3rdpath
May 30, 2002, 08:45 PM
its hard to classify but i'd call it a modern version of delta-blues slide guitar( or dobro) music. most of your vintage blues are gonna have vocals and not as much " groove" so i don't know who to compare it to but i'm sure with enough research you can find it. and if all else fails, you can't beat robert johnson, muddy waters or john lee hooker for the real old stuff.

good luck:)

britboy
May 30, 2002, 08:55 PM
woah... I've just listened to the song you're asking about, and.... it's weird! Is it being played on a banjo? Ha ha.

Sorry, i still have no idea what genre that would be classified as. Deffinitely something-blues.... :D

3rdpath
May 30, 2002, 09:49 PM
here's the link for a realaudio sample of the tune. maybe someone knows who is doing this type of music....

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1867912636/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=SISTER+HAZEL/itemid=1223796

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:29 PM
Its definitely based in the blues, old style too. But why do you need to put a name to it, let it be what it is and enjoy.

(my reasoning cause I don't have a clue, but I like it)

D

Hemingray
May 30, 2002, 11:35 PM
Ahh yeah man, I love the dobro. :) And any resonating guitar, for that matter...

John Fogerty's Blue Moon Swamp album had a few songs that used it, like "Joy of My Life", but not really as bluesy as "Back Porch" is. Another kinda funky song that uses the dobro is "Some Cow Fonque (More Tea, Vicar?)" by Buckshot LeFonque from the original MIB soundtrack album. It combines with trumpets and a saxophone, it's pretty... how shall I say... unique? Heheh. :D

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 12:21 AM
well Hemingray seems to be a bit schooled in the style...

I PMed u...but I'll post it here anyway as well...

I don't know if u are into straight Blues or not...but I had the pleasure to see The Robert Cray Band about 4 months ago at Tipitina's here in New Orleans...

his opening act was a guy named Eric Bibb...u would probably like him a lot...acoustic blues....pretty southern sounding...I wish I had the CD...I bought it...and my ex-girlfriend has it....got it signed at the show too...

anyway...he's pretty damned good...easy...and has a lot of depth in his music... ;)

Judo
Jun 5, 2002, 06:17 AM
Sounds a bit like blind melon to me :p

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:28 AM
so cleo...did u ever check out any suggestions??

sparkleytone
Jun 5, 2002, 11:18 AM
i'd basically categorize that track in the "pick 'n grin" genre. you can picture them on the front(back) porch just picking at their instruments, smiling, and coming up with nonsense. just fun with music.

macstudent
Jun 5, 2002, 11:38 AM
Try listening to Bela Fleck and the flecktones.