PDA

View Full Version : Justification of the iPod Mini's price

MacBytes
Jan 27, 2004, 08:46 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Justification of the iPod Mini's price (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040127214624)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

adamfilip
Jan 27, 2004, 10:45 PM
he's got a point.. but i still think that i should have been no more then $220

nagromme
Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 AM
Apple said in the conference call that iPod mini margins are less than the iPod's 20%. It costs more than $200 just to manufacture each one. The hard disks are probably the reason.

I don't know who is buying $300 flash players that hold 120 songs, but they ARE selling. So I'm not surprised that the iPod mini is a top seller already, before it even ships.

I'd love a FREE or $50 or $200 iPod... but I can't honestly say the mini's price is wrong.

winmacguy
Jan 28, 2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
Apple said in the conference call that iPod mini margins are less than the iPod's 20%. It costs more than $200 just to manufacture each one. The hard disks are probably the reason.

I don't know who is buying $300 flash players that hold 120 songs, but they ARE selling. So I'm not surprised that the iPod mini is a top seller already, before it even ships.

I'd love a FREE or $50 or $200 iPod... but I can't honestly say the mini's price is wrong.

I agree totally. Having checked out prices of flash memory for up to 3GB- Up to $1500US I would say that at $249 US a 4GB mini iPod is a steal!

mainstreetmark
Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 AM
I think the $249 is just a bargin worth considering. I think a $200 mini is a no brainer.

Jerry Spoon
Jan 28, 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
I think the $249 is just a bargin worth considering. I think a $200 mini is a no brainer.

I think you're right on this. But, if Apple isn't making some $$, then what's the point.
I just ordered an iPodmini last night. When it came down to what I was using it for (running, biking, general exercise) the size became a definite plus and the capacity, considering my music collection, was just fine.
I wasn't sure the iPodmini had a solid market, but after my experience, I think it might.
Plus, I can see myself buying up down the road if/when I outgrow the 4gig.

nagromme
Jan 28, 2004, 01:27 PM
I'm waiting for a second-gen mini, unless I try one at a store and can't wait :) More space or a price drop would be nice, and when that becomes possible it will happen.

For me, the new controls are almost more important than the physical size. They seem like a great step forward: increased simplicity, and a return of the tactile click.

The old lighted touch buttons are cool, though, I can't deny it.