PDA

View Full Version : Where should I report an e-mail scam?

jrv3034
Jan 27, 2004, 11:33 PM
Hello, all. I just got an email supposedly form someone at Citibank asking for my Debit Card account number and pin number. Of course, this is a scam. I'm copying the email text here, but I took out the link where I'm supposed to enter my credit card info, for all our safety.

I want to report this email to the proper authorities, but I'm not sure where to go. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

Please, folks, beware of scams like this.

Here's the e-mail text:

Dear Citi-Card Cardholder,

This message was sentt by the Citicards server to veerify your e-mail
adress. You must clteompe this pcsores by clicking on the link
below and enteering in the litle window your Citi-bank Debit
full Card Number and card pin that you use on local Atm.
This is donne for your pteocrtion -U- becaurse some of our members no
legonr have acsces to their email adrdseess and we must verify it.

To veerify your e-mail address and akcess your Citi account, clic on
the link bellow. If ntohing hapneps when you clic on the link -F copye
and pastte the link into the adderss bar of your web broswer.

---------------------------------------------
___Thank you for using CitibankOnline!
---------------------------------------------

This automtaic email snet to:
Do not reply to this email.

vaOGdGcbuobqFBACoDiR

iMeowbot
Jan 28, 2004, 12:06 AM
This scam (with lots of different companies named in the text and spoofed in the target Web sites where they collect the personal info) is rampant, and chances are pretty good that this sample has been reported now.

You might be interested in checking out the US Govt's Internet Fraud Complaint Center (http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/) if you want to make sure it's been reported.

It might also be nice to notify the company being spoofed, but as you can see here (http://www.identitytheft911.com/education/fraudAlerts.jsp), Citibank are already painfully aware of the problem.

rainman::|:|
Jan 28, 2004, 07:34 AM
yeah, scams are rampant enough that it's usually redundant to report them. i know it seems scary to actually be the recipient, as it feels like you're being personally targeted, but it's just like spam. ignore it and it will do you no harm. after getting our first eBay scam email a couple of years ago, my partner and i now get ebay, paypal, bank, and "nigerian bank" scam emails on a somewhat regular basis.

after a point, it's just entertaining to see what these people think passes as "official emails". misspellings, extremely poor formatting, broken english... tho they're getting better as they mimic websites...

paul

Dippo
Jan 28, 2004, 11:54 AM
I get scams trying to get my ebay account info all the time. I try to send it to ebay but they don't seem to care very much about it.