Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwells

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Any thoughts on whether or not Apple will join the fray in developing an operating system/handheld for the new Intel chip that will be powering Palm, Win CE 3.0, and the Symbian operating systems? Given the fact that everyone is adapting their PDAs and phones to this new Intel chip, I would think that Apple wouldn't want to miss the boat.

articile: http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/3531_972921

excerpt:

"Major device manufacturers are lining up to take advantage of Intel's new chip lines, including Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Compaq Computer Corp. (NYSE:CPQ) and Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE:HWP). Moreover, the mainstay operating system vendors are supporting it as well, including Palm Inc. (NASDAQ:pALM), Microsoft Corp.'s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows CE.Net, Windows Pocket PC 2002, Symbian and embedded Linux from multiple vendors.

What's perhaps most notable here, is Palm's embrace of the new XScale microarchitecture, because in the past it's OS has not been as juiced as Microsoft's Pocket PC OS. Software vendors Adobe (NASDAQ:ADBE), Macromedia (NASDAQ:MACR), PacketVideo, RealNetworks Inc. (NASDAQ:RNWK), and other firms have also readied their software to provide Intel-powered devices with audio, video and gaming capabilities."

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
I don't think that Apple would make a Handheld O.S. unless Apple made their own PDA and it wouldn't run on an intel chip I would think.

Maybe someday when Apple steps back into the PDA market that they started we will see something really cool from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.