Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I don't know how likely it is that one of the new MacBooks will have an $800 price tag, but from a personal standpoint if there is one, I'll be buying it ASAP. I have been wanting a Mac laptop for a long time now. I am using an old Compaq laptop but ever since I got my iPhone, I've wanted to jump ship to Apple as far as my PC goes. But frankly, I just can't justify spending $1100 on an Apple laptop when I can buy a Dell or HP for $599. But if Apple has a laptop for around $800 then I can justify that. My brother is in the same situation. He is fighting a virus right now on his PC and keeps saying he wishes he had a Mac. I bet that if Apple would just drop their prices a little they would sell a ton of MacBooks to people who are just like me. Just a comment

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
What if the (rumoured-only) $800 Mac is similar to an Eee PC -- would you still buy it? Personally, I wouldn't touch it. It's too small for anything productivity related. My work has one for in-house use, and I can't stand it. Underpowered, too.

In some ways the $1100 MacBook is hard to swallow over a $600 Dell. But then you say that your brother's PC is struggling with a virus and that wished he had a Mac. Spec comparisons aside, that's one of the reasons people are wiling to pay the premium for a Mac.

I used to spend lots of time on regular maintenance on my PC. With my Mac, I don't need to worry about it nearly as much. That time savings is, for me, worth the premium when you toss in a better OS, ease of installation, and the fact that my Mac talks to peripherals so much more easily than my PC ever did.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Some people just don't need much power. The only thing I do on my Macbook that an EEE PC couldn't is play games. MS Word, Safari, ect. don't take much power.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
All I need is Email, Safari and iTunes. So any basic Mac would be fine with me. I'm retired so, productivity work is not an issue with me. I just want to read my email, browse the web and listen to my music and that's it. I would get a Mini, but I want a laptop.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
All I need is Email, Safari and iTunes. So any basic Mac would be fine with me.

I'm the same as you, but that's why I simply went with an iPhone and I won't be buying a MacBook at all, even if they do have one priced at $800. Of course I do have an iMac at home, so I'm only referring to those times when I need something portable and/or when I'm out on the go.

I honestly think the lowest priced new MacBook will be $899 though, rather than the $800 figure that some places have been throwing around. I think those that are expecting an $800 model are going to be disappointed come next Tuesday.

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
All I need is Email, Safari and iTunes. So any basic Mac would be fine with me. I'm retired so, productivity work is not an issue with me. I just want to read my email, browse the web and listen to my music and that's it. I would get a Mini, but I want a laptop.

Why dont you try to buy 2nd hand? After 14th prices might fall

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
When someone comes out with an adapter to plug in my iphone to one of those rollup keyboards and a tv for a monitor I'll be in heaven. :D

But my wife could definitely use a low-end mac portable. I'd buy her one in a second.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
scienide09 said:
What if the (rumoured-only) $800 Mac is similar to an Eee PC -- would you still buy it? Personally, I wouldn't touch it. It's too small for anything productivity related. My work has one for in-house use, and I can't stand it. Underpowered, too.

A netbook (if thats what the $800 one is) is not made to be a main computer, its made so you can do simple office and internet functions on a very light very small laptop that fits in a backpack without a problem.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I seriously doubt Apple will ever release something cheaper in their notebook line than the Macbook, and sub 800 is a pretty farfetched price.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I seriously doubt Apple will ever release something cheaper in their notebook line than the Macbook, and sub 800 is a pretty farfetched price.

If its just something like the EEE PC its fully feasible, seeing how bad the economy is and how much of a market netbooks have.

brettinlj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
I think the price will be lower, but no lower than $899 (most likely $999). Apple has plenty of cash liquidity, so they would be more willing to reduce the production curve to keep prices above at a certain level. Much like Harley did years ago with motorcycles when demand went down... they shifted their supply curve to make sure the price equilibrium was higher.

Micro Economics 101, superior goods, etc...

Bman3221

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
im not liking this new 800 dollar thingy...it means that it will reach a larger audience which will lead to more people getting Apples..and eventually people creating viruses because more and more people will be using the Mac.

Most of the people don't like Mac because they cant afford it. Im against the price drop...:D

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm thinking Apple will avoid the netbook category, but they will try to sell against it. They always try to offer premium products at attractive prices.

So their argument is going to be- why buy a cheap netbook when you can get a beautiful aluminum MacBook with better CPU for only a couple of hundred dollars more? (that is when comparing against the more fully-featured netbooks, not the really stripped down ones with small screens and weak battery capacity.)

Then will come the inevitable price comparisons by everyone and their mother- this is what you have to add or subtract from the Dell netbook to make it roughly equivalent to the cheapest MacBook, etc.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Some people just don't need much power. The only thing I do on my Macbook that an EEE PC couldn't is play games. MS Word, Safari, ect. don't take much power.

What about typing comfortable for a sustained period of time, surely the MacBook keyboard is better than the Eee PC?

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
You get used to the netbook keyboard pretty quickly

And people buying a netbook aren't necessarily in the same market as a macbook - one's meant to be a secondary computer that one can take anywhere easily, the other is meant more as a main computer

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
An $800 MacBook doesn't have to be a tiny little netbook.

For example a 13 inch screen, 2.1 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB hard drive and no optical drive. (Sold as an optional $99 external).

Basically the current low end MacBook without an optical drive. Component prices would not stand in the way of that.

Personally I would be most interested in a 14 inch MacBook - perhaps in the $999 - 1099 range. I want more then a 13 inch screen and for personal use don't need a 15 inch MBP.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

I'D recommend a refurb macbook then. I got one back in Feb 08 and saved 1/3 the price. It arrived like new, I could not tell the difference and it comes with the same warranty as a new one. Just a thought as I appreciate your situation. Best to ya! ;)

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
FWIW - and please don't flame me for posting rumors, but last night at our local Apple store (Raleigh, NC) my brother asked the Apple concierge about next Tuesday's announcements. The Apple person said he would definitely wait until after Tuesday to buy a MacBook. My brother then said I've heard that there will be a model that is priced either $800 or $899. The Apple person said "you didn't hear this from me, but it's the later - it's already in our computers".

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
FWIW - and please don't flame me for posting rumors, but last night at our local Apple store (Raleigh, NC) my brother asked the Apple concierge about next Tuesday's announcements. The Apple person said he would definitely wait until after Tuesday to buy a MacBook. My brother then said I've heard that there will be a model that is priced either $800 or $899. The Apple person said "you didn't hear this from me, but it's the later - it's already in our computers".

The site is "Mac Rumors" so anyone who flames you for posting rumors is just stupid.

Sounds cool, lets hope its true! :)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
That's a $200 price drop. Not the gargantuan drop people have been hoping for, but very welcome nonetheless. And how realistic was a $300 price drop anyway? Wonder how much they'll go for here in Europe. They cost €999 here now. Will they price them at €799? That'll be nice. That would actually be exactly on par with the US price, considering you don't pay 19% VAT. Finally!

If they indeed turn out to be priced at €799, I'd be extremely happy. Not that I'll go for the base model, but still.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland

So $899? I wouldn't have thought it likely, but it's just believable. My guess was $999... I hope you're right and this Apple person really knew :).

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Jpoon said:

same here, but it would be awesome

oc2pus

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Germany
So $899? I wouldn't have thought it likely, but it's just believable. My guess was $999... I hope you're right and this Apple person really knew :).

$899 makes it very affordable to people telling me that they are not willing to spend the money "for just the time you save with your MacBook". Usually I start grinning about this comment, but soon enough they will have a chance to see for themselves - and shut up forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.