Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjd114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
My dad has gotten me a western digital 500gb harddrive. When i went to transfer some audio and video files from a video project from one computer, it doesnt let me move them to the harddrive. It seems as though the drive has protection against media files. So really, i dont know the use of this anymore. Is there a way, when im shooting digital video, to record straight to this drive so that i can bypass the capture process? I hope i can find a good use for it, so please let me know.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Did you format the drive? if not try this because chances are that its the factory supplied software (which is always crap).

as far as recording straight to the drive, i don't think that it's possible without a bunch of extra hardware.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
As the poster said above me, you'll have to format it. All drives come in FAT32 format, which can only support files up to around 4gb, and it will fail without a descriptive warning when it hits that point. Use Disk Utility to format it into HFS+ (the Mac OS Journaled format). Then you can put whatever size files on it you want.

Recording straight to the drive is not possible without extra hardware.

jrbswim1

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
After formatting your drive so that it's Mac compatible, you can totally record straight to the HD. Just use iMovie to capture straight from your camera. No extra hardware needed!

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
Western Digital drives come ready-formatted in HFS+ for Mac. So assuming the drive was new and clean when you got a hold of it, it should already be in HFS+. Nonetheless, backing up whatever you've got on there, reformatting, and trying it again isn't a terrible idea.

Andrew.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
you can totally record straight to the HD. Just use iMovie to capture straight from your camera. No extra hardware needed!

Um...... That's using the capture process...

There is no way to get clips from your camcorder directly to a external hard drive without extra hardware.

You could use some sort of DVR set top box w/HDMI input and some sort of external storage ports to get clips from the camera onto a hard drive without the capture process (or computer in general). though i don't know if there is any product like this currently on the market.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Western Digital drives come ready-formatted in HFS+ for Mac. So assuming the drive was new and clean when you got a hold of it, it should already be in HFS+. Nonetheless, backing up whatever you've got on there, reformatting, and trying it again isn't a terrible idea.

Andrew.

Only the Mac branded ones are, the rest are FAT32. But like you said, it's easier just to format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.