PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Spikey

john123
Jan 28, 2004, 01:24 AM
So I am trying to figure out what exactly happened to Spikey.

It looks like there were multiple instances of his being banned. Does anyone know exactly what happened?

Arn, you would be the expert on this, of course....

jefhatfield
Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 PM
i correspond with spikey...he is doing fine these days

i wonder what happened to kela and why she hasn't posted here in a long time?

us oldtimers are losing our grip on macrumors...i will eventually be out of the top ten and only eyelikeart from the old days will be represented in the top ten

i believe he is 2nd but i predict he will fall a few places since there are some really recent members who post like crazy

in the end, it will be wdlove, who is rather new compared to us, who will be at the top or mr. anderson, also not super old but moderately old, who will be up there at the top

mr. macman is from the old days and i think he will also be out of the top ten like me

i wonder how lonely eyelikeart will feel all alone in the top ten ;)

it's not really a race anyhow and i think most people who reach 500 are glad to have an avatar...you are closing in one one yourself...what do you think you will use?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
mr. anderson, also not super old but moderately old,

well, for my credit - i was visiting here at the beginning of 2001 before I became a member. so, if you count that, i'm closer to being old school :D

MacRumors (admin account) is set to pass us all eventually and be #1 :P

D

jefhatfield
Jan 28, 2004, 01:13 PM
actually anyone before 2003 is old school since many joined after that ;)

there will be a flood of 2003 members in the top ten i think, no posters from 2000, and maybe three from 2001

the 2002 and 2003 posters will dominate the top 100 spots i think since they came into macrumors when it was a full on site with everything to talk about...many earlier posters had much less to talk about and macrumors was definitely in its early days

i am one strange one who loved the old days before limitations and moderators...while i believe moderators do a great job, i liked it when it was more self governing

but with over 20000 members here, there is definitely a need for order and thus for moderators

i think arn should assign several more mods to make your jobs easier...something like three mods for every ten thousand more members to make it more manageable...you guys could do with six working mods and maybe more

i would like to see j-lo, shadowfax, and wdlove as mods...those are my nominations for the next three to help you guys out, and if you need more, elect mr. macman, krossfyter, and king cobra

and one can't forget macbandit either

:D

Rower_CPU
Jan 28, 2004, 04:01 PM
us oldtimers are losing our grip on macrumors...i will eventually be out of the top ten and only eyelikeart from the old days will be represented in the top ten

i believe he is 2nd but i predict he will fall a few places since there are some really recent members who post like crazy

mr. macman is from the old days and i think he will also be out of the top ten like me

i wonder how lonely eyelikeart will feel all alone in the top ten ;)

I get no respect, I tell ya, no respect at all. ;)

I signed up 3 months after Macman, and D signed up just after me. The MR old school will be well represented for some time to come. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well, that still doesn't answer john's question - what happened to spikey :D

I remember him, but I wasn't really posting when he was around.

As for self moderating - it was a smaller community back then. Today it would only take a few members to totally foobar the whole site, flame wars in every thread, cats and dogs sleeping together....

It wouldn't be as fun - the mods became necessary from the pressures of member growth.

D

john123
Jan 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
I like King Cobra. He is one cool dude.

Yeah, I guess I might 500 posts one day. I'm just not going to do like some folks and post for the sake of posting, just to hit a new status. I mean, cmon...

My mama taught me that if you don't have anything to say, don't say anything at all.

In reflection, this post is kind of worthless, so I am guilty of my own criticism...but at least it can answer your avatar question, Jef, in that I haven't given it the slightest thought. :)

jefhatfield
Jan 28, 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I get no respect, I tell ya, no respect at all. ;)

I signed up 3 months after Macman, and D signed up just after me. The MR old school will be well represented for some time to come. :)

wow, i didn't realize that you signed up so early here...oops!!

but i do respect you college rower guys

on a show called mythbusters, they had a college rowing team pull a waterskier behind them upright for 40 seconds and even though this was a myth that had never been recorded, this tv show showed that this college team was able to pull it off...nobody really thought it would work except for the rowers themselves

i won't say who did the legendary task, but i will say they are a school that you probably competed against:D

Rower_CPU
Jan 28, 2004, 04:51 PM
If I had to guess I'd say Cal, just because they're consistently the number 1 college team.

Only thing I row these days is a computer parts and HTML tables. ;)

jefhatfield
Jan 28, 2004, 06:29 PM
If I had to guess I'd say Cal, just because they're consistently the number 1 college team.

Only thing I row these days is a computer parts and HTML tables. ;)

i am still not saying..he he..too touchy and school pride is seriously on the line:D :p

john123
Jan 29, 2004, 01:49 AM
So it seems no one knows what happened in the Spikey saga. What a bummer.

What exactly do you have to do to get banned?

Jef, maybe I should have been banned ;)

jefhatfield
Jan 29, 2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by john123
So it seems no one knows what happened in the Spikey saga. What a bummer.

What exactly do you have to do to get banned?

Jef, maybe I should have been banned ;)

when i first came on here posting in 2001, or 2000 maybe as a guest, i was kind of an unofficial moderator and peacemaker and i stayed out of fights and realized we were all here because we like macs

but later on, when i got on with the political threads, then i started saying things ban worthy from time to time, but alphatech and some others were much more hardcore so i didn't seem so bad in comparison

these days, with the mods on board here, people are much better with each other and personal insults are not as common

john123
Jan 29, 2004, 11:24 AM

these days, with the mods on board here, people are much better with each other and personal insults are not as common

Yeah well you're still a ****ing idiot. :)

Naw, seriously, I guess civility is really good. Especially if there are this many members on board now...for things to be even remotely like they used to be, with THIS many people, would be virtually unmanageable.

Rower_CPU
Jan 29, 2004, 12:39 PM
spikey went out in a blaze of glory on a couple of occasions. I should know, I was one of the targets (pre-moderator days). ;)

john123
Jan 29, 2004, 12:42 PM
spikey went out in a blaze of glory on a couple of occasions. I should know, I was one of the targets (pre-moderator days). ;)

You know, as legendary as John123 is, shouldn't he be a moderator?

:)

jefhatfield
Jan 29, 2004, 01:34 PM

that would be cool since ambitiouslemon, who is a mod, rarely comes here and someone needs to do his job:D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 29, 2004, 01:41 PM

but he's hardly around anymore and no one really knows who he is :p

lemon makes appearances now and then - bans a member, closes a few threads and then stays quite for a couple months, just to come back and do it again. :D

And I just saw that Blakespot was checking out some threads this morning - talk about diety-in-absentia ..... :D

D

john123
Jan 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

lemon makes appearances now and then - bans a member, closes a few threads and then stays quite for a couple months, just to come back and do it again. :D

And I just saw that Blakespot was checking out some threads this morning - talk about diety-in-absentia ..... :D

D

He's back with a vengeance! (For the moment, anyway....)

Yeah, see, I could get into that bannin' and closin' routine. They'd call me "John the Regulator."

joey j
Jan 30, 2004, 07:06 AM

some of the best fun i've had in web forums was flaming that slow-witted dork into the ground.

hi everyone - back. looks like my last post was jan 8, 2002 - i even took a screendump of my userinfo page for posterity.

hi jef, etc - feels good to be back :D

john123
Jan 30, 2004, 10:10 AM
Oh geez....

For the record, *I AM NOT JOEY J*. Joey, your arrival is going to once again fuel those people who think you and I are one in the same....

joey j
Jan 30, 2004, 10:27 AM
Oh geez....

For the record, *I AM NOT JOEY J*. Joey, your arrival is going to once again fuel those people who think you and I are one in the same....

LMAO. After I posted I remembered that particular retarded epic of people (spikey amongst others, who else?) who thought we were, erm, one and the same, due to some apparent similarity (that I couldn't ascertain) in our posting styles. I thought about amending my post to mention that … nah. Dinner's ready…

The fact that I'm posting this just 15-20 mins after your reply probably isn't going to assuage our critics :p

john123
Jan 30, 2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by joey j
LMAO. After I posted I remembered that particular retarded epic of people (spikey amongst others, who else?) who thought we were, erm, one and the same, due to some apparent similarity (that I couldn't ascertain) in our posting styles. I thought about amending my post to mention that … nah. Dinner's ready…

The fact that I'm posting this just 15-20 mins after your reply probably isn't going to assuage our critics :p

No, probably not...although I have to admit, after watching movies such as "Fight Club," I read your post and wondered if I just had no memory of turning into my alter ego and posting under my joey j alternate identity.

That said, I'm sure that any moderator could check our IP addresses and announce to the world that we are, in fact, different people....

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2004, 11:18 AM

That said, I'm sure that any moderator could check our IP addresses and announce to the world that we are, in fact, different people....

I just did. You are. ;)

john123
Jan 30, 2004, 12:00 PM
I just did. You are. ;)

SWEET!!!! PROOF POSITIVE THAT I AM NOT SUFFERING FROM MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER!!!!!

What a relief! :)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 30, 2004, 12:06 PM
What a relief! :)

unless you're capable of being on two continents at the same time :D

There are ways to disguise IPs - it just takes a little work....

D

john123
Jan 30, 2004, 12:13 PM

D

If I said that I could do that if I really wanted to, would that go back to makign me a candidate for MPD?

:confused:

job
Jan 30, 2004, 09:14 PM
If I said that I could do that if I really wanted to, would that go back to makign me a candidate for MPD?

:confused:

would you really still want to be a candidate? :p

MrMacMan
Jan 31, 2004, 01:47 AM
...i think arn should assign several more mods to make your jobs easier...something like three mods for every ten thousand more members to make it more manageable...you guys could do with six working mods and maybe more

i would like to see j-lo, shadowfax, and wdlove as mods...those are my nominations for the next three to help you guys out, and if you need more, elect mr. macman, krossfyter, and king cobra

and one can't forget macbandit either

:D
Thanks jef, that means alot... but I would have to hold myself to a higher standard.

Yeah I could do that... ah it be a dream.
How about you as mod? no?

I am Old Skool, but I also didn't post much 'back in the day' haha so...

D

haha, Blakespot who?

;)
Wow... Lemon and Blakespot have powers still, yeah I guess... You really don't see them around much at all.

D

You mean Proxy's? Not too hard really.

I mean there are even some web-based proxys, not hard at all.

--MrMacMan

V.A.Toss
Feb 1, 2004, 10:43 AM
some of the best fun i've had in web forums was flaming that slow-witted dork into the ground.

hi everyone - back. looks like my last post was jan 8, 2002 - i even took a screendump of my userinfo page for posterity.

hi jef, etc - feels good to be back :D

Actually joey-j, as i recall reading, that "slow witted dork" ended up with the last laugh. Ended up flaming you so hard you ran away. Spikey was also correct with the IBM Vs moto debate (being on IBMs side, unlike the you and the other 90% of the forum).

"slow witted", possibly, thats really a matter of opinion. But the late great spikey ate chickens for breakfast, especially the ones that ran away.

Ofcourse, i am but a humble observer................. ;)

eyelikeart
Feb 1, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by V.A.Toss

What's amazing is that u people come back, but not silently. :rolleyes:

john123
Feb 1, 2004, 04:29 PM
Actually joey-j, as i recall reading, that "slow witted dork" ended up with the last laugh. Ended up flaming you so hard you ran away. Spikey was also correct with the IBM Vs moto debate (being on IBMs side, unlike the you and the other 90% of the forum).

"slow witted", possibly, thats really a matter of opinion. But the late great spikey ate chickens for breakfast, especially the ones that ran away.

I seriously doubt that there is any correlation between joey j's absence (or mine or anyone else for that matter) with the extent to which that person was "flamed."

V.A.Toss
Feb 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
When did this become the PMS forum? People, relax. It is just a light hearted reply in a light hearted thread. No need for a tampon slinging contest.

I was merely pointing out historical fact, there is a correlation. Whether or not this correlation is down to coincidence, nobody knows.

It is very easy to throw insults at another member that was banned, as you wont be getting a reply. I was simply retorting and offering an unbiased reply that was based on factual info.

Eyelikeart, its not like you to be spiteful, tut tut tut. Remember, this is virtual. Its not like judgement day is coming (though if it was, im sure macrumors would carry on regardless)

themadchemist
Feb 2, 2004, 09:33 AM
I guess this is a glimpse for me, a relative newbie, at the days old...I can see the fire in the belly and the glint in the eye of those olden times when MacRumors was still wild and untamed.

john123
Feb 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
When did this become the PMS forum? People, relax. It is just a light hearted reply in a light hearted thread. No need for a tampon slinging contest.

I was merely pointing out historical fact, there is a correlation. Whether or not this correlation is down to coincidence, nobody knows.

It is very easy to throw insults at another member that was banned, as you wont be getting a reply. I was simply retorting and offering an unbiased reply that was based on factual info.

Eyelikeart, its not like you to be spiteful, tut tut tut. Remember, this is virtual. Its not like judgement day is coming (though if it was, im sure macrumors would carry on regardless)

No one's "PMS"ing...well, except you maybe.

How hypocritical -- it was you who insulted joey.

All joey did was make an observation of fact (Spikey *was* pretty slow witted. Rather than making intelligent arguments, he just cursed and cursed and cursed some more.)

(Sidenote: correlation does not equate with causality, but with one data point or observation, no statistician is even going to talk about correlation, either....)

Mr. Anderson
Feb 2, 2004, 10:43 AM
(Sidenote: correlation does not equate with causality, but with one data point or observation, no statistician is even going to talk about correlation, either....)

All depends on what you're comparing the data point with :D

And we're not statisticians here, so numbers don't always make our decisions for us.

That being said - the little I remember about Spikey is pretty much what John123 mentioned. The threads were flaming arguments, not to make any one member look smarter than another, necessarily, but there just for arguments sake. I remember one starting out commenting on the fact that there hadn't been a good flame war in a while....you can just imagine where that led.

D

V.A.Toss
Feb 2, 2004, 11:09 AM
No one's "PMS"ing...well, except you maybe.

How hypocritical -- it was you who insulted joey.

All joey did was make an observation of fact (Spikey *was* pretty slow witted. Rather than making intelligent arguments, he just cursed and cursed and cursed some more.)

"No one's "PMS"ing...well, except you maybe."

John, it was a joke, seriously.

This is turning into old times.

So you dont think calling a member "slow witted" is an insult??? It is a matter of opinion as to whether he was or was not, it is not a fact. For every member that said he was, there is another that said he wasnt. Seeing as it is a matter of opinion, and could be considered insulting, it is best kept to yourself. It wasnt kept to joey-j's self, and so i retorted light-heartedly to let him know how it feels, and to point out that it is pretty weak of someone to curse behind their back.

I dont know how good your maths is, but over here in the uk we learn a correlation to be a group of data regarding 2 properties. In a strong correlation the data would represent a significant pattern.

I might also remind people regarding the myth about spikey cursing, he was not the only one, and on the majority of the occasions where he did, there was a point included in the post, which you missed.

Anyway, im going out now, into the real world, to meet some people, and wont be back again to argue in an internet forum. What a strange day.

I respect you all.

john123
Feb 2, 2004, 11:48 AM
"No one's "PMS"ing...well, except you maybe."

John, it was a joke, seriously.

This is turning into old times.

So you dont think calling a member "slow witted" is an insult??? It is a matter of opinion as to whether he was or was not, it is not a fact. For every member that said he was, there is another that said he wasnt. Seeing as it is a matter of opinion, and could be considered insulting, it is best kept to yourself. It wasnt kept to joey-j's self, and so i retorted light-heartedly to let him know how it feels, and to point out that it is pretty weak of someone to curse behind their back.

I dont know how good your maths is, but over here in the uk we learn a correlation to be a group of data regarding 2 properties. In a strong correlation the data would represent a significant pattern.

I might also remind people regarding the myth about spikey cursing, he was not the only one, and on the majority of the occasions where he did, there was a point included in the post, which you missed.

Anyway, im going out now, into the real world, to meet some people, and wont be back again to argue in an internet forum. What a strange day.

I respect you all.

My math is excellent. The formula for correlation is:

{sigma(XY) - [sigma(X)]*[sigma(Y)]/N}/
sqrt[(sigma(X^2)-((sigma(X))^2)/N]*[(sigma(Y^2)-((sigma(Y))^2)/N]}

X and Y are both matrices. If we had multiple instances of Spikey making insults and Joey J leaving, then perhaps we could talk about correlation. With only one instance of Joey J leaving, the math isn't going to support any significant findings, so no one ever talks about correlation with a sample size of one.

As for:
<<For every member that said he was, there is another that said he wasnt.>>
I seriously doubt that. That has about as much logical sense behind as "for every person who says the sky is blue, there is another who says that it's red."

Spikey was pretty obtuse, period. But it's not his fault, I don't suppose -- he probably just didn't have the background necessary to put together cogent argumentation, which resulted on his excessive swearing to back up "arguments" that wouldn't stand ipso facto.

themadchemist
Feb 9, 2004, 04:40 AM
My math is excellent. The formula for correlation is:

{sigma(XY) - [sigma(X)]*[sigma(Y)]/N}/
sqrt[(sigma(X^2)-((sigma(X))^2)/N]*[(sigma(Y^2)-((sigma(Y))^2)/N]}

X and Y are both matrices. If we had multiple instances of Spikey making insults and Joey J leaving, then perhaps we could talk about correlation. With only one instance of Joey J leaving, the math isn't going to support any significant findings, so no one ever talks about correlation with a sample size of one.

As for:
<<For every member that said he was, there is another that said he wasnt.>>
I seriously doubt that. That has about as much logical sense behind as "for every person who says the sky is blue, there is another who says that it's red."

Spikey was pretty obtuse, period. But it's not his fault, I don't suppose -- he probably just didn't have the background necessary to put together cogent argumentation, which resulted on his excessive swearing to back up "arguments" that wouldn't stand ipso facto.

NOOOO! Not matrices! Can't I just do some integration of multivariables instead?! Although that can require a Jacobian, which is derived from a matrix...Although I don't seem to mind it as much as, say, Linear Algebra. Blech!

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
NOOOO! Not matrices! Can't I just do some integration of multivariables instead?! Although that can require a Jacobian, which is derived from a matrix...Although I don't seem to mind it as much as, say, Linear Algebra. Blech!

Haha.

Fellow math geeks unite!

King Cobra
Feb 11, 2004, 07:55 AM
Calculus 2004 and forever!

LMAO. After I posted I remembered that particular retarded epic of people (spikey amongst others, who else?)...
At least spikey had such retarded rants that they were laughable, perhaps even enjoyable, to reread once in a while. But once the political threads got going, the reaction to flame posts/threads took a curvature similar to Niagra Falls.

That's why I see spikey as my hero on the forums, lol.

...and if you need more [moderators], elect mr. macman, krossfyter, and king cobra
Or Doctor Q. (my choice).