Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I want to buy my wife a laptop but don't want to spend big bucks as it won't be intensively used.

I've always wanted a clamshell iBook so thought I'd go for one of them.

There's a few ex-lease one's on eBay (australia).

So, are the 366 models any good?
(here's their spec http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=ibookfirewire)

I know they're second generation so hopefully were and still are, good machines.

thanks

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I wouldn't get a clamshell. They have 800x600 resolution screens. Very limiting, especially with OS X. Try to get a newer, white iBook. They have 1024x768 screens, which are much easier to live with.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I have 300mhz Clamshell ibook, i am running 10.3 with no problems. The main drawback is disk space, i only have 3GB & the system takes up 2 GB. I use it for email, web & WP. so the lack of speed only becomes a problem with very media heavy web sites. I dont need firewire as it not fast enough to run DV. I have not had problems with the screen size as most websites work with 800x600. I have used photoshop elements on it, and it gets quite a job managing the screen if you have more than a few tool palettes open. It is quite a bit bigger than a 12" new ibook if you are planing to travel with it. I prefer the design of the clam shell over the new ibook.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have a indigo Firewire iBook and the only drawback to the 600*800 is You can't run iMovie 3 or 4 I think the iBook 366 runs best in OS 9 but X is OK just a little slow. Also the iBook SE or the 466MHz has DVD. Firewire is good becouse You can add a iPod or CD/RW. If You wnt to spend a little more money look for a Pismo or Wallstreet with a 14' screen and a firewire card.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
There's a difference between being able to run at 800x600 and enjoying the experience. ;) It's very limiting in may ways even if it's technically possible to run all of your applications. Before spending any money, try running your current system at 800x600 for a while and see if it will work for you.

I suggest you go for one of the white, square ibooks. Higher resolution, more of everything (power, RAM, storage), and they don't look like a toilet seat. :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Still want one, a orange one! Have to brighten up my house again now that my G3 B&W has made room for the dual G5 :D

BTW, is it possible to upgrade the proc of the clamshell with the one from my B&W (400 mhz, 1mb L2). Or is it making to much heat? There where also clamshells with 466 mhz g3 procs, and this one in my B&W runs only at 23 degrees celsius, so the big question is, can you get the proc out easily in the clamshell or is it soldered to the motherboard?

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
It's soldered on unfortunately Dreadnought, and the B&W uses a ZIF card. ChrisH3677, the clamshell iBooks are still great machines, but if you can afford the white iBook or Pismo they are a lot better.

avidda1979

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
All over the US
iBook 366 se user

what are you going to be using the computer for? If for checking email and surfing the web it is good. If you want to pay games on it the 600x800 sucks. Plus the hard drive space is not that good ither i am finding my self watching it go from 1 gig left to 500 megs left then i have to delete every thing that i have installed on the computer just so i can download what i want to down load. The computer is overall stable though. only had it freeze up when i was running like 7 applications at one time. Also, only one usb port and no firewire and no video output. I broke my touch pad mouse awile back and have been useing a mouse on the usb port so i have not had usb usage for a wile.

so it up to you but the most i would pay for it would be around 300 bucks any more then that you better off getting a new computer

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
the 466 would be the one to get. it would be great for web, email, divx movies and even small time photoshop work. I did all those things ok with my powermac G3 350 before I upgraded it. the 466 ibook would be about the same speed as it because of the ibooks slower bus and less cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.