PDA

View Full Version : macheads and shoes

jefhatfield
May 30, 2002, 11:00 PM
so since macworld new york is a ways off,

what are your favorite shoes?

i like rockport but i have only had one pair but the things lasted forever and i wore them everyday for two years

amazing shoes

Rower_CPU
May 30, 2002, 11:06 PM
You've probably got a whole list of these topics stashed away somewhere, dont you?:D

I like Nikes and New Balance for athletic shoes.

I love flip-flops/slippers/sandals for casual dress.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:14 PM
My feet are very wide right in front of the toes, so I have a hard time finding shoes that I am truly comfortable with. Then I got a pair of Ecco and it was good.....they might be a little more pricy, but its worth it.:D

In Florida, and Cleo will back me up on this, there is a store (more than one) that's called 'Happy Feet Plus'. Its in St. Pete, and I have to laugh every time I see it. But that's how my feet are these days....

Hemingray
May 30, 2002, 11:14 PM
Always been Vans for me. And the occasional steel-toe boot. ;)

Hey Rower... I know that one! It's Hawaii's State Fish. :D I remember doing a report on that in 4th grade. Heheh.

jefhatfield
May 30, 2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
You've probably got a whole list of these topics stashed away somewhere, dont you?:D

I like Nikes and New Balance for athletic shoes.

I love flip-flops/slippers/sandals for casual dress.

i like the unpredictable nature of the answers to non-mac discussions

as for mac discussions, being far from a macworld, there is not much to talk about

if they give us a g5 or 1.4/1.5 ghz g4, then you will see me making comments in the article discussion area and either raving about the gear or cursing steve jobs because he overpriced something...like the cube and ipod...lcd imac was priced really well, though

jefhatfield
May 30, 2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
My feet are very wide right in front of the toes, so I have a hard time finding shoes that I am truly comfortable with. Then I got a pair of Ecco and it was good.....they might be a little more pricy, but its worth it.:D

same with my wife...we have been looking for wide shoes and she bought some rockports...but ecco is yet another 50 percent higher in price...at least where we live and can buy them...but they must be extraordinary shoes

the only things i have seen more expensive are artsy fartsy rich person designer shoes like ferragamo which don't seem to be a comfort shoe at all

Wildcat
May 30, 2002, 11:33 PM
New balance for daily wear
flip flops for lazyness
Kennith Cole for dress

jelloshotsrule
May 30, 2002, 11:37 PM
i wear the cheapest i can get. kinda.

my current shoes are "winners"... 2 pairs of those. old and "air conditioned". they were like 15 bucks a pop.

and i have some converse all stars..

i have to find out what other brands are sweatshop free (there are so few) before i get a new pair.

Macette
May 31, 2002, 12:14 AM

can you get birkenstocks there? they are great for wide feet - i wear them and love them a lot. they make lots of different styles, so you could probably find something that you like. they are german. germans think that i am weird for wearing them outside the house. but they are so comfy.

also campers - they are great, and pretty (and pretty pricey...)

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 12:17 AM
I actually used to sell shoes....5 years to be exact....was my first job running stock in a shoe store...eventually became a manager....******* job...but I have some good laughs from it...

Rockports are killer shoes...for those who need to be on their feet often or just need something comfortable...definitely worth the money....plus u can get them resoled for relatively cheap...

as for what I wear...

I have a few pair of Doc Martens...

I have a pair of Skechers retro shoes...kinda like bowling shoes...I like them...and u would be surprised how well they go over with women...;)

I have some Florsheim shoes I wear from time to time for dress...

I have a pair of Banana Republic dress...more casual style...

I have a few pair of Adidas...I used to run with them...now they are just comfortable...

I also have a few others that I haven't worn in so long...they look practically new...

as for how I wear shoes out....I don't....have a pretty regular fitting...no problems...and shoes last me forever... :D

3rdpath
May 31, 2002, 12:47 AM
flipflops usually.

bought a new pair of saucony running shoes today. i could not find ONE pair of shoes from anyone that were not made in china...

i have a pair of cole haan white bucks which are my summer dress shoes...croquet anyone?

one pair black biker boots for when i'm feeling really butch...

pair of merrils for hiking.

old gross tevas for yardwork

and a slew of cowboy boots covered in all sorts of extinct/endangered animal skins. i inherited them and they're too nice to throw out and too horrifying to wear. so they collect dust.

but about 80% of the time, i'm barefoot. aahhhhhhhh!

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
but about 80% of the time, i'm barefoot. aahhhhhhhh!

so I have to ask...how does this work out for u? why?

3rdpath
May 31, 2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
so I have to ask...how does this work out for u? why?

if you mean how do i get away with being barefoot most of the time-its because i'm self-employed and work at home. and i'm a tad eccentric i guess.

why? just feels good.

how? i have really tough feet. used to hike in the sierras barefoot. don't do it anymore because my old bones need the support of good hiking boots. but man it was fun seeing the looks on the other hiker's faces when we'd pass on the trails...:D

alex_ant
May 31, 2002, 02:20 AM
The most comfortable shoes I've ever worn were Reebok DMXes. The soles have air chambers in them (not fake ones with windows in the sides like most other shoes). You can actually hear the air flow - a breathing sound - as you shift your weight from the front of your foot to the back. Just insanely comfortable, even though they are made in sweatshops...

New Balances are made-in-America shoes that are a little bit more costly than Nikes and Reeboks but are, in my experience, higher quality. They are made better and last longer. There are also several pair available that are leather-free, for the vegan/environmentalist hippies. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Alex

jelloshotsrule
May 31, 2002, 02:23 AM
bought a new pair of saucony running shoes today. i could not find ONE pair of shoes from anyone that were not made in china...

not one pair of running shoes?

hmmm. that sucks.

i just get vans type shoes.... vans used to be ok. since moved to china. and even converse did recently... there's also birkenstocks which i think are sweatshop free..?

and timberland.

hmmm..

jelloshotsrule
May 31, 2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant

New Balances are made-in-America shoes that are a little bit more costly than Nikes and Reeboks but are, in my experience, higher quality. They are made better and last longer. There are also several pair available that are leather-free, for the vegan/environmentalist hippies. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

check the labels these days.... they too are made in china (at least all the ones i recently looked at when my mom was shopping for shoes).

it just sucks. all the good companies have gone to sweatshops now..

jelloshotsrule
May 31, 2002, 04:07 AM
or i could've said it in true alex ant style...

"you do know that not all (if any) new balance are made in the usa currently, but rather in china, right? :)"

iGav
May 31, 2002, 04:31 AM
I have...... and like to wear....

Acupuncture....... total urban street wear cool.....
http://www.acupuncturefootwear.com/home1.html
I've owned about 8 pairs of various Acu shoes over the last 2 years...... if you can get a close up of some of the treads...... check em out... truely cool....... and leave great marks in the snow!! heh heh

1x New Balance 802....... just plain cool.....

1x Tsubo, these are possibly the most comfy shoes I have ever worn, they have a really weird sole, that when you walk, feels bizarre... but mayzin'.....
http://www.tsubo.com/atom2/

1x Swear
1x Old Skool Adidas
1x Doc Martens 12 eyelet

I don't own any 'smart' dressy shoes..... all of my footwear is pretty casual.....

britboy
May 31, 2002, 06:36 AM
I have, and wear:

A pair of Asics sneakers. They're the most comfortable sneakers i've ever owned. I love them :) Got them in finland last summer... they're getting a tad frayed, so i'll probably have to replace them soon. I've got strange shaped feet (when i went to the doctors about it, all he could do was take a photo for his 'freak feet' album :D), and go through a pair of shoes every six months normally. The sides break... :(

I also have a few pairs of spanish espadriles. For how cheap they are, they're brilliant shoes.

Other than that, a few pairs of smart shoes, and a pair of slippers :p Quite often though i like to walk barefoot through the street. Am i strange for doing that? Who cares :D

Macmaniac
May 31, 2002, 07:17 AM
I have owned 5 pairs of Sambas! Old school Baby!!! They are so nice, they break in so fast! I love them.

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 08:56 AM

if you mean how do i get away with being barefoot most of the time-its because i'm self-employed and work at home. and i'm a tad eccentric i guess.

ah....well then u have the right idea 3rdpath...

but u are right...as u age...u do need support...your knees & back will scream at u for not getting it... ;)

cleo
May 31, 2002, 09:47 AM

In Florida, and Cleo will back me up on this, there is a store (more than one) that's called 'Happy Feet Plus'. Its in St. Pete, and I have to laugh every time I see it. But that's how my feet are these days....

LOVE LOVE LOVE Happy Feet Plus! Just bought a new pair of Birks there the other day. Do you go to the one on St. Pete Beach? There's a little bar about half a mile south of there called the Undertow that is just the BEST for watching sunsets, etc. </tangent>

Yeah, I have strangely wide and tall (not fat, just... tall) feet as well. I also, inexplicably, have no arch in my left foot (btu a completely normal arch in my right foot). So I wear Birks exclusively - the folks at Happy Feet Plus pound down the cork bottoms to get rid of the arch - they're just wonderful. Yay, Birks! (BTW, Macette, you and I aren't doing much to dispel lesbian stereotypes, what with our Birks, green politics, etc :))

3rdpath
May 31, 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant

New Balances are made-in-America shoes that are a little bit more costly than Nikes and Reeboks but are, in my experience, higher quality.

when i bought my shoes yesterday, i looked at the new balance selection and every one of them said "made in china"...i'd always heard they were made in america. maybe they switched or they have different lines of shoes...whatever...i was very disappointed in all the manufacturers.

edit "sorry jello, missed your earlier reply...and the opportunity to put it in aggro-alex form....darn-it-all" end edit

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Hey Rower... I know that one! It's Hawaii's State Fish. :D I remember doing a report on that in 4th grade. Heheh.

Nice! But can you pronounce it?

It's so funny to watch/listen to us haoles try to say Hawaiian words! :D

Gelfin
Jun 1, 2002, 12:49 PM
I've got to agree with the Ecco sentiment. I've got a pair of Ecco boots that I got a couple of years ago. They were expensive, but they're still going strong, and the first time I tried them on was like an epiphany of sorts. It was like the first time I used a PBG4 compared to Wintel laptops -- like they solve a problem you didn't know you had.

Ifeelbloated
Jun 1, 2002, 01:21 PM
I wear a pair of Yukons I bought for less than 20 bucks on clearance at Sports Authority. Going on third year and still look new. Leather lasts forever. One of the best investments I ever made.

alex_ant
Jun 1, 2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
or i could've said it in true alex ant style...

"you do know that not all (if any) new balance are made in the usa currently, but rather in china, right? :)"
Wow, I didn't realize my linguistic traits were so unique as to be easily distinguishable amongst the rest of the regular Macrumors posters. :)

alex_ant
Jun 1, 2002, 04:04 PM
when i bought my shoes yesterday, i looked at the new balance selection and every one of them said "made in china"...i'd always heard they were made in america. maybe they switched or they have different lines of shoes...whatever...i was very disappointed in all the manufacturers.
I always thought they were made in America. I guess I was wrong. New Balance must be having it large - all the positive-perception advantages of a made-in-the-USA product with none of the realities!

Alex

AlphaTech
Jun 1, 2002, 05:08 PM
Magnum Technology Stealth boots :D... They are very close to what highway patrol and SWAT teams wear. They provide lots of support, and protection for when I am cruising down the highway on the Harley. They are also waterproof, inexpensive and light. I also have a pair of Wolverines, which are lower and heavier. I occasionally wear Converse sneakers, but I think that is a total of five times in the past year.

phufball71
Jun 1, 2002, 10:27 PM
rainbow sandles, best sandles ever made;doc martens,nike running shoes,

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 05:58 AM
New Balance runners (800 or 900 series) because they're just so damn comfortable. It's like they don't even need tobe broken in.

Teva flip-flops for the sheer laziness of it all.

Chaco Chongs, as they are the most stable and comfortable sandles I have ever encountered. I even use then for light hiking. Highly recommended.

Merrel approach shoes for the occasional light climbing.

Johnston & Murphy wing tips and Cole Hann loafers for work.