Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Hey guys i was wondering
is there a way for me to have 2 iMacs and somehow put them together as 1 screen so they act like a dual screen but both CPUs and stuff work together as one?

i kind of think its impossible but is there a say. just with wires or something

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Despite what others have said it is not impossible, but an external monitor would work better than the only solution I have found, which is this
other than that it would require some complicated hardware hacking

Shownarou

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Newton, IA
Despite what others have said it is not impossible, but an external monitor would work better than the only solution I have found, which is this
other than that it would require some complicated hardware hacking

That's still not what he's trying to do. He wants to have the power of both iMacs combined to have an iMac that's twice the speed.

singhy44

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
unfortunately you won't be able to, but you can use one as an external hard drive, with a firewire cable. not quite sure how, but there is an article somewhere

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Nope. You can't do it. However, you can get a significant step closer by controlling both computers with just the one keyboard and mouse. Even having the mouse pointer move from one screen to the next as if it was a single computer with dual screens.
You can even use copy/paste across both computers as if they were one..

If this sounds like it jams your donut, then a little utility called Teleport is what you want :)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14042/teleport

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
unfortunately you won't be able to, but you can use one as an external hard drive, with a firewire cable. not quite sure how, but there is an article somewhere

Sorry for the bump, but for anyone searching through the forums for answers, it'd be helpful to know that you're referring to "Target Mode". You can do this by holding down "T" while booting the computer you want to use as just an external HD. Its more useful for auditing system files of a computer without having to boot that computer, but whatev's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.