Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callummc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Hey guys

I just installed VMWare Fusion 2.0 off my bootcamp partition. My specs are:
24" imac 2.4ghz
1tb HDD (32gb bootcamp partition)
4gb ram

I'm going to mainly be using microsoft office, firefox, maybe a bit of photoshop in vmware, I was wondering, how much RAM should I allocate to it? and also, should I give it 1 or 2 virtual processors?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I gave mine half

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

fpbecker

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
Which Windows version are you planning to use?

Windows XP will work with 512 MB or 1GB of RAM and one virtual CPU, whereas Windows Vista will need at least 1 GB - if not 2 GB of RAM to work at a halfway satisfactory speed.

callummc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Well yeah, I have the discs for the windows versions as I used to have a windows pc, I'm not paying again for mac versions.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
2 gigs of ram or just boot into boot camp much better way, reason why apple chose to restart into bootcamp is because they wanted to give you the best experience without any bad lag so the windows side could have all the 4 gigs, full hard drive and cpu.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
Well yeah, I have the discs for the windows versions as I used to have a windows pc, I'm not paying again for mac versions.

Dude dont be cheap give bootcamp 100 gigs before you do anything that happened to me gave xp little space filled it up had to reinstall but you have 1tb i had 250 gigs so.

JNB

macrumors 604
Running Win2K3 Server, an enterprise app and Oracle 11, it ran just peachy with 512K (default allocation), but I give it 1GB. No noticeable improvement.

WinXPSP2, 512K is a bit choppy, but 1GB is all it needs, even when running Oracle 9 and MSSQL db's side by side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.