PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Pepsi iTunes Promotion

MacRumors
Jan 28, 2004, 09:07 AM
Apple's homepage (http://www.apple.com) has been changed to promote the upcoming Pepsi-iTunes 100 million song promotion.

Apple also announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/28pepsi.html) that five new Pepsi commercials for Pepsi and Sierra Mist will be aired during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters in the Superbowl on February 1st.

Pepsi iTunes – “I Fought The Law”
Pepsi – “Crossroads”
Pepsi – “Mountain Men”
Sierra Mist – “Bagpipes”
Sierra Mist – “Fire Escape”

Based on the descriptions, the "I Fought The Law" commercial (screenshots in comments thread) appears to be the only one directly promoting the Pepsi-iTunes promotion.

arn
Jan 28, 2004, 09:07 AM
screen 1

arn
Jan 28, 2004, 09:08 AM
screen 2

arn
Jan 28, 2004, 09:08 AM
screen 3

Jan 28, 2004, 09:12 AM
Lovely...

Belly-laughs
Jan 28, 2004, 09:14 AM
Kitsch!

DeusOmnis
Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 AM
5 apple commertials on the super bowl... w00t!

El Tritoma
Jan 28, 2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
5 apple commertials on the super bowl... w00t!

I think there is only one Apple commercial. Not sure why Apple would mention the others.

ThomasJefferson
Jan 28, 2004, 09:17 AM
If all this expands marketshare for Apple hardware - hooking in the young, then great.

I would prefer hardware updates across the whole product line but while waiting ...
I plan on helping the recycling club quite a bit this semester. We have about 8 Pepsi machines on campus.

Raiden
Jan 28, 2004, 09:18 AM
I think this promotion is great, but damn, 100 million songs? I mean havent we only sold like 30 mil so far? Also, thats 300 million bottles of pepsi. How long does it take normally take pepsi to sell that many?

I think the idea is good for this campaign, but untill I see more numbers, im going to remain a bit skeptical....

xtekdiver
Jan 28, 2004, 09:20 AM
So much for Railhead's prediction. Should have known that this would be the next big change to Apple's web site. They wouldn't promote this and a new major product announcement. Perhaps after the Superbowl we will see updates to the Powermac and the new monitors?

Codemonkey
Jan 28, 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Belly-laughs
Kitsch!

No kidding. Almost a textbook example.

Oh well. The public will eat [drink] it up.

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Raiden
I think this promotion is great, but damn, 100 million songs? I mean havent we only sold like 30 mil so far? Also, thats 300 million bottles of pepsi. How long does it take normally take pepsi to sell that many?

I think the idea is good for this campaign, but untill I see more numbers, im going to remain a bit skeptical....

More likely around 35 million now.
We should hit 40 million by the end of Feb if not over that mark.
We should hit around 100 million around March with the new Pepsi.
It doesn't take long..especially during SB season...or basketball season.
I say Pepsi can do it in about 2 months...knowing how much Pepsi folks drink around here.

stoid
Jan 28, 2004, 09:39 AM
The real question is what the return rate is going to be.

Yeah 100 mil winners will be uncapped, but will even 1 in 5 winners actually redeem their song or just count it as 'another one of them stupid useless give-aways'?

VicMacs
Jan 28, 2004, 09:39 AM
are the bootles going outside of the US? i will wait till someone sells 100 winning unused bottlecaps for 20 dollars on ebay... i mean... are people really goig to download itunes to get their 1 song? i just hope they dont throw the caps away...

SEND THEM TO ME!!!

wordmunger
Jan 28, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by El Tritoma
I think there is only one Apple commercial. Not sure why Apple would mention the others.

Actually, at this point there are really no Apple commercials. The commercials and the promotion are paid for by Pepsi. Apple has agreed to cross-promote on its Web site and with iTunes. But maybe Apple will surprise us with a real Apple commercial.

FriarTuck
Jan 28, 2004, 09:41 AM
Diet Pepsi and my PB would be two of my ten desert island items.

Stores in my area are blowing out the non-iTunes bottles at ridiculous prices to clear the supply channel. I'm stocking up, but that stuff will just sit in storage while I consume the iTunes Diet Pepsi.

bertagert
Jan 28, 2004, 09:41 AM
I saw part of a Pepsi ad for the superbowl. It has Britney Spears, Beyonce', Inrique Eglasias and that chick from Third Rock from the Sun tv show. They're all in the middle of the coliseum in Rome, singing "we will, we will rock you" [by queen]. All dressed in gladiator garb. Inrique is acting like Caesar.

I think, judging from the song, that this commercial will also be itunes related. Of course, maybe they're trying to tell everyone that Pepsi will rock you. Guess we'll find out on Sunday.

MongoTheGeek
Jan 28, 2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by El Tritoma

Looked like apple just hosting Pepsi's bumpf.

idkew
Jan 28, 2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by bertagert
I saw part of a Pepsi ad for the superbowl. It has Britney Spears, Beyonce', Inrique Eglasias and that chick from Third Rock from the Sun tv show. They're all in the middle of the coliseum in Rome, singing "we will, we will rock you" [by queen]. All dressed in gladiator garb. Inrique is acting like Caesar.

I think, judging from the song, that this commercial will also be itunes related. Of course, maybe they're trying to tell everyone that Pepsi will rock you. Guess we'll find out on Sunday.

wrong commercial

MongoTheGeek
Jan 28, 2004, 09:45 AM

I wondered about that. It wasn't one of the 5 listed. Maybe its a pregame/postgame commercial.

bertagert
Jan 28, 2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by idkew
wrong commercial

Expand on that a bit. Did I see something that isn't going to be a commercial, one that has already aired, or the commercial doesn't deal with itunes?

idkew
Jan 28, 2004, 09:51 AM
Expand on that a bit. Did I see something that isn't going to be a commercial, one that has already aired, or the commercial doesn't deal with itunes?

its a pepsi europe ad.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57604&highlight=pepsi+europe

mhar4
Jan 28, 2004, 09:53 AM
Hmm...

from Pepsi Press Release
The promotion will run until March 31, 2004
So how many of the 100m songs will be given away in two months?

jmsait19
Jan 28, 2004, 09:53 AM
are these caps only on pepsi or will they be on all pepsi products like mountain dew and such??

mnolan
Jan 28, 2004, 09:56 AM
This morning on the local NBC affiliate here in Atlanta, they were giving an overview of the ads for the superbowl. They showed clips of several commercials that would air. They didn't show the entire commercials, only 2-3 second clips. One of those clips was the "1984" ad with the girl wearing the iPod and they mentioned that Apple would be an advertiser for the game. Other press regarding the iTunes/Pepsi ad has really been positioned as one of a series of Pepsi ads planned for the game. If the news media here was accurate, it looks like Apple will also have another ad closely matching the "1984" ad we have all seen.

bertagert
Jan 28, 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by idkew
its a pepsi europe ad.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57604&highlight=pepsi+europe

Thanks for the heads up and link.

Molten Thinker
Jan 28, 2004, 10:00 AM
I live just across the border (Canada). And no one, I mean no one is going to ship me cap-winning bubbly water. No pepsi for me. I prefer Coca Cola anyways :).

iggyb
Originally posted by jmsait19
are these caps only on pepsi or will they be on all pepsi products like mountain dew and such??

Unfortunately...only Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist. I wish it was on Dew as well, but it ain't.

To be fair, though, I think Pepsi is looking to boost the sales of their products that are flat lately.

FlamDrag
Winning caps will be on Pepsi, Diet Pepsi & Sierra Mist.

All iTunes download prizes must be redeemed by, 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on 4/30/04 (“Redemption Deadline”)

Those answers and many more await you in the Official Rules of the Promotion (http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/rules.html).

This is at least the third time this topic has come up and the same questions are asked and answered. Please do a teeny tiny bit of research before asking anything further.

** Note: This post is not exclusively directed at jmsait19 **

FlamDrag
Jan 28, 2004, 10:04 AM
From the aforementioned Rules

" Apple Computer, Inc. is not a sponsor of this promotion."

" Maximum number of valid Codes per email address/person that can be entered at the Web Site is 10 per day and 200 total throughout the Promotion Period"

KLFloyd
Jan 28, 2004, 10:15 AM
Hmm, I realize the importance of cross promotion, but looking at the new Apple homepage all I see is Pepsi.

YUCK!

Sol
Jan 28, 2004, 10:20 AM
Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world?

Grimace
Jan 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
pepsi doesn't take that long to sell 100 million. Sounds like a lot, but it's not when you try to quantify how many stores, vending machines, vendors are out there.

Grimace
Jan 28, 2004, 10:26 AM
1 in 100 caps wins an Upgraded G5...

iggyb
Jan 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
1 in 100 caps wins an Upgraded G5...

Hey! A new promotion with Pepsi/Virginia Tech! :D

wdw_
Jan 28, 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Sol
Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world?

LOL!

Personally, my favorite soda is Diet Pepsi, so this promotion is a great thing for me.

Taking a long gulp of Diet Pepsi sometimes feels like a breath of fresh air. I used to be a diehard Classic Coke guy.

El Tritoma
Jan 28, 2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by wordmunger
Actually, at this point there are really no Apple commercials. The commercials and the promotion are paid for by Pepsi. Apple has agreed to cross-promote on its Web site and with iTunes. But maybe Apple will surprise us with a real Apple commercial.
Actually, I didn't say "Apple's commercial" - meaning a commercial belonging to Apple or paid for by Apple. An "Apple commercial" is shorthand for a commercial about Apple (leaving out the preposition and just letting Apple modify commercial), which I think it is.

wchamlet
Jan 28, 2004, 10:46 AM
That front page ad is horrible. It looks like a newbie to photoshop could have done that pic. You'd think with Apple's closeness with Pixar they could have at least made the pic in 3D. At least then it would have looked like a real picture, instead of a whacked out collage.

Anyway, I don't see how these ads will boost Apple computer hardware sales. iTunes and the iPod both work in Windows. I really don't understand Apple's insistence on promoting the iPod over their CPU's.

Anyway, here's to hoping Apple releases something big on the CPU front. :D

wdlove
Jan 28, 2004, 10:50 AM
Does anybody know if the cans might be included?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Does anybody know if the cans might be included?

No cans - it has to be the bottles with tops - they print the code under the tops - no where to print them easily in a can, you know?

D

Deefuzz
Jan 28, 2004, 11:01 AM
Yay! Time to start buying more Diet Pepsi, I am glad I am the only one in my store who is really into iTunes (or really on the internet at all) as well as being the only one who drinks Diet Pepsi...too bad there is a 200 song limit!!

bensisko
Jan 28, 2004, 11:10 AM

No offense to those who like these artists, but that sound like the WORST commercial to ever cross the airwaves. Ugh.

Also, I'm not to crazy about the iTunes commercial eather. It just doesn't sound...right for some reason. I can't really explain it.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not in marketing....

bensisko
Jan 28, 2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by wchamlet
That front page ad is horrible. It looks like a newbie to photoshop could have done that pic. You'd think with Apple's closeness with Pixar they could have at least made the pic in 3D. At least then it would have looked like a real picture, instead of a whacked out collage.

Anyway, I don't see how these ads will boost Apple computer hardware sales. iTunes and the iPod both work in Windows. I really don't understand Apple's insistence on promoting the iPod over their CPU's.

Anyway, here's to hoping Apple releases something big on the CPU front. :D

You're right about the Apple front page. I hope something replaces it soon. At least the other one (the one with the bottle and the headphones) was at least somewhat cleaver.

As for helping CPU sales, it won't. It will just help iPod sales.

idkew
Jan 28, 2004, 11:22 AM
You all seem to be looking at this wrong.

This is not a promotion by Apple. It is not designed to sell more G5s or iPods, it is designed to sell more sugar water.

Pepsi is doing this promotion. They are paying (a very happy) Apple for each and every song redeemed, and they probably are paying to use Apple's name and likeness.

As someone else posted from the rules (http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/rules.html):

13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc. is not a sponsor of this promotion.

sushi
Jan 28, 2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by wchamlet
It's all about visibility and exposure. This giveaway provides both.

You would be surprised at just how many folks really don't know a whole lot about computers. The average person does not.

I believe by having iTunes and the iPod cross platform, more people will look to Apple as a viable option when they purchase their next computer. In their minds, they will see a Mac as another alternative that works with what they have vice a totally different system. Compatibility is key these days.

Sushi

xtekdiver
Jan 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
I have never had a soda in my life and I'm not about to start. No free songs for me :(

macshark
Jan 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
Previewing the iTunes Pepsi giveaway ad a masterful distraction tactic by Apple to hide the real big surprise. I expect to see a new Apple ad for a brand new 20th anniversary Mac product that will "shock and awe" the Mac community.

pascalpp
Jan 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
just for the record, the other woman in the gladiator ad is Pink, NOT the woman from Third Rock for the Sun.

the_mole1314
Jan 28, 2004, 11:44 AM
You know, why did Apple update their 1984 commercial for just Macworld and the website? Why? I really think that'll be their commerical for the Superbowl. I really think that'll be the 'surprise' if there is one.

pascalpp
Jan 28, 2004, 11:47 AM
http://a1328.g.akamai.net/7/1328/51/175582df053d96/www.apple.com/home/images/2004/01/pepsitile01282004.gif

tile that image and you've got yourself one ugly-ass desktop. go on, you know you wanna try it.

-p

brhmac
Jan 28, 2004, 11:58 AM
How do you rate these threads "positive" and "negative" any way? I've clicked on positive and negative before to no avail.

What is the procedure, please?

sethypoo
Jan 28, 2004, 11:59 AM
Dang, I noticed this early this morning, I could have submitted it! Ah well.

The new Apple homepage looks awesome. I like how the Pepsi bottles go all the way to the left and right of the browser screen. Other Apple promotions have only gone to the margins, about an inch from the edge of Apple's page.

Cool! Looking forward to buying some Pepsi.

pgwalsh
Jan 28, 2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Sol
Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world? ha ha ha

I'm not a big soda drinker at all, but I'd buy a few Sierra Mist's to win... Could always buy some for one of my 12 nephews and keep the winner. :eek:

slowtreme
Jan 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
I just wish they had partnered with Coke. I HATE Pepsi.

gwuMACaddict
HAHAHAHA! thats AWESOME!!

'i fought the law...' SUCH a great ad campaign!!!

:D :D :D

beerguy
I'm not sure I can force myself to drink Pepsi for free music.

blecccchhhh

slowtreme
Jan 28, 2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Sol
Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world? "Would you rather sell sugar water to kids for the rest of your life, or would you like to change the world?". (http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Bouncing_Pepsis.txt&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date)

bertagert
Jan 28, 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by pascalpp
just for the record, the other woman in the gladiator ad is Pink, NOT the woman from Third Rock for the Sun.

Yeah, after viewing the whole commercial, I realized that is was in fact, Pink. Either way, they're both as ugly as they come. Maybe I shouldn't say that cause Pink grew up 4 doors down from me. Nah, she's still ugly.

benpatient
Jan 28, 2004, 12:10 PM
well, the only pepsi product i like is mtn dew, so it looks like i'll be holding out on the whole deal.

I would rather eat dog poop than drink diet pepsi, and regular pepsi isn't to far behind...

*sips on his Dr. Pepper*

why couldn't they partner with Coke?

Wait, i know...the company isn't annoying enough. i seriously hate those britchiniee spears commericals they used to run all the time.

nagromme
Jan 28, 2004, 12:29 PM
I take it many people think Apple should have turned Pepsi away?

It's a Pepsi promo that in turn brings Apple exposure and cash. It is not the end of life as we know it :)

solitarycow
Jan 28, 2004, 12:31 PM
Personally I wasn't\am not a big fan of the previous iPod commercials. Visually and perhaps aesthetically appealing, but hardly original or innovative.

Seriously though, this is Apple's big chance to shine and make a major presence in the marketplace. Suck em in through their music and players, then point them in the direction of the Mac computers.

Like lemmings they'll follow. It's time for Apple to make a comeback...and this is their best chance to do so. So they better be damn good commercials.

makkystyle
Jan 28, 2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by xtekdiver
I have never had a soda in my life and I'm not about to start. No free songs for me :(

Now this needs some elaboration. What is with the soda boycott? What do you define as soda, anything with bubbles? How many years is never? This is like discovering a feral child!

kramnala
Jan 28, 2004, 01:06 PM
Is that an iMac in the screenshot, because it doen't really look like one to me. I don't know... It doesn't just look like it is lit wierdly. The screen border looks metallic. I could just be me though...

I hope this hasn't been discussed already!?!

Peej
Jan 28, 2004, 01:06 PM
I don't know how many of you can chime in and confirm this, but for the past 50 years or so whenever there's a democrat in office (of the president of the U.S.) the white house is stocked with Pepsi, and when it's a Republican it's Coke. (I'm a mountain dew drinker myself, which I would consider the official drink of the Green party). SO, since Apple is the kind of company it is, and Pepsi's always supported the more liberal side of the political spectrum, does anyone out there think this has something to do with it?

peej
:)

iMax531
Jan 28, 2004, 01:09 PM
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I bet there's gonna be a huge ebay market for these things...

if someone wins and doesn't want to use iTunes, thinks it sucks, whatever, they could sell the caps on ebay for something like 75 cents a pop.

no pun intended.

wchamlet
Jan 28, 2004, 01:09 PM
Seriously though, this is Apple's big chance to shine and make a major presence in the marketplace. Suck em in through their music and players, then point them in the direction of the Mac computers.

Like lemmings they'll follow. It's time for Apple to make a comeback...and this is their best chance to do so. So they better be damn good commercials.

I don't think people are going to switch to a Mac because of this. Apple did something stupid, IMO, by putting the iPod and iTunes on Windows. If anything, I think that will keep more people from coming to the Mac. It's really not a Switch concept, IMO. It's more of, I can make a profit in both markets type of concept.

bensisko
Jan 28, 2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Peej
(I'm a mountain dew drinker myself, which I would consider the official drink of the Green party).

Now, would that be the Political Green Party or the Newton Users Green Party? I guess I could see it going eather way...

micvog
Jan 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by kramnala
Is that an iMac in the screenshot, because it doen't really look like one to me. I don't know... It doesn't just look like it is lit wierdly. The screen border looks metallic. I could just be me though...

Obviously it is the new dual 3.0GHz iMac for $999 :p

bensisko
Jan 28, 2004, 01:12 PM

It's the new Metallic G5 iMac!!!!

j/k :)

FlamDrag
Jan 28, 2004, 01:19 PM
For those who say "Apple should have partnered with Coke" you clearly do not understand what is happening.

PEPSI CAME TO APPLE with this - hence, Pepsi is the sponsor of this promotion.

therefore...

Coca-Cola did NOT ask Apple to do such a promotion.

nor did Apple contact Pepsi. This is entirely the work of Pepsi.

The dialogue was probably similar to...

"Pepsi: Hey Apple, is it OK if we buy 100 Million songs from the iTMS?

Apple: Sure, what for?

Pepsi: A bottle cap promotion.

Apple: Makes sense - it shouldn't be too difficult to implement on our end.

Pepsi: Cool, thanks

Apple: Will that be Visa, Master Card, Discover..?"

In short, there is no legit reason to be unhappy with Apple as for them, it was probably Pepsi or nobody. If you want to just hate the entire concept, that's fine - it won't bother me.

Don't forget, Coke has their own music store.

inkswamp
Jan 28, 2004, 01:20 PM
I think Pepsi.com should have rows and rows of iPods on their front similar to the way Apple has rows of Pepsi bottles.

jobberwacky
Jan 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Peej
I'm a mountain dew drinker myself, which I would consider the official drink of the Green party)
The Green Party linking up with a vendor of sugary water with artificial flavors and sponsor of car racing?

Not very likely

pcharles
Jan 28, 2004, 01:53 PM
Ugh! They sound absolutely foul. Can we have just a little originality here????? It is the Superbowl and we all know the game is NOT why we watch it.

sinisterdesign
Jan 28, 2004, 02:33 PM
yeah, i would MUCH rather it have been coke. i live in atlanta & work in a huge Fortune 13 [hint] company and they only have Coke machines in the building. must be an atlanta corporate buddy-deal or something, but it's fine w/ me. but i AM bummed that 90% of the cola i drink is at work, so i'll rarely have a chance to buy myself an iTMS pepsi.

but, whatever, i'm just stoked that apple penned this deal. i think it's going to be some nice pocket change for apple this quarter & excellent media coverage.

but no one is going to sell these things on eBay. even if you mailed it USPS, it would cost you $.34, so you could only sell it for $.65, not to mention your time. maybe if someone collects a couple hundred of them & sold them at a small profit. maybe a homeless guy w/ an entreprenurial spirit & an ear for tech news...
;)

solitarycow
Jan 28, 2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by sinisterdesign
maybe if someone collects a couple hundred of them & sold them at a small profit. maybe a homeless guy w/ an entreprenurial spirit & an ear for tech news...
;)

Yeah I can definitley see a homeless bum whip out his T-mobile Sidekick to check out the latest tech buzz:D

evilbert420
Jan 28, 2004, 03:45 PM
"Unfortunately...only Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist. I wish it was on Dew as well, but it ain't."

You don't want to drink Mountain Dew anyway.

Brominated Vegetable Oil? Take a look at what that is, and then wonder why it's been deemed "unsafe for human consumption" by the FDA. Yuck.

hotwire132002
Jan 28, 2004, 03:46 PM

My bet is Apple is somehow getting some money out of the deal--i.e. Pepsi paid them... or something.

hotwire132002
Jan 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by xtekdiver

Never had a soda? Are you insane! I drink like 6 a day!:D

hotwire132002
Jan 28, 2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by pascalpp
http://a1328.g.akamai.net/7/1328/51/175582df053d96/www.apple.com/home/images/2004/01/pepsitile01282004.gif

tile that image and you've got yourself one ugly-ass desktop. go on, you know you wanna try it.

-p

I tried it on a PeeCee--you're right--butt-ugly (It would look better on my iMac :D )

iChan
Jan 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by iMax531
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I bet there's gonna be a huge ebay market for these things...

if someone wins and doesn't want to use iTunes, thinks it sucks, whatever, they could sell the caps on ebay for something like 75 cents a pop.

no pun intended.

would be ver hard to prove that the codes hadn't already been redeemed

jacobslateralus
Jan 28, 2004, 04:14 PM

I have to agree. I guess it could be the lighting, but it doesn't look that way to me. But, after all the hoopla lately, I don't dare even keep my fingers crossed. I mean, certainly apple would do something to celebrate the mac's 20th birthday (besides remaking the 1984 commercial just to post it on their website). But I wish they'd hurry up and do it, so I can finally calm the f down.

hotwire132002
Jan 28, 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jacobslateralus
I have to agree. I guess it could be the lighting, but it doesn't look that way to me. But, after all the hoopla lately, I don't dare even keep my fingers crossed. I mean, certainly apple would do something to celebrate the mac's 20th birthday (besides remaking the 1984 commercial just to post it on their website). But I wish they'd hurry up and do it, so I can finally calm the f down.

To me it appears that the lighting for the shot is behind the iMac, so that the clear frame around it appears to have a sort of fibre-optic type glow. I think that's just an ordinary iMac.

jacobslateralus
Jan 28, 2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by hotwire132002
To me it appears that the lighting for the shot is behind the iMac, so that the clear frame around it appears to have a sort of fibre-optic type glow. I think that's just an ordinary iMac.

I don't know. after watching the ad on appleinsider, it looks even more like metal around the screen. But, on the other hand, the rest of the imac looks the same. It does seem unlike apple to make such a small adjustment in the design. So it must just be some weird effect of the lighting.

rdowns
Jan 28, 2004, 07:10 PM

Maybe there's a PepsiRumors.com site with some forums to answer your question. My guess would be they will sell them in the time allotted for the promotion but the faithful will hold out for the rumored Pepsi upgrade next Tuesday.

hotwire132002
Jan 28, 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
Maybe there's a PepsiRumors.com site with some forums to answer your question.

Nope, no Pepsirumors.com-- I checked :D

Peej
Jan 28, 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by jobberwacky
The Green Party linking up with a vendor of sugary water with artificial flavors and sponsor of car racing?

Not very likely

Yeah, I geuss so...... I'll stick to green tea sweetened with honey. And I'd better not sell my 1986 Volvo 240 wagon just yet. :eek:

Sol
Jan 29, 2004, 02:02 AM
A lot of people seem to be dissapointed that Apple and Pepsi are working together on this promotion. Being a Cherry Coke drinker myself I feel your pain but there is a very simple explanation about all this: Coke has its own online music store that uses the WMA format.

grouse
Jan 29, 2004, 04:36 AM
I know this is a little more the kinda thing that spymac listeners tune in to but, hell, it only took me a couple of seconds!

Enjoy...

:cool:

VicMacs
Jan 29, 2004, 07:58 AM
for being a pepsi commercial... its not that bad... it will do good... you guys are too harsch...

whooleytoo
Jan 29, 2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by hotwire132002
Nope, no Pepsirumors.com-- I checked :D

Hmmm... maybe PepsiTunes.com...

mobility3
Jan 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
This is one of the most intelligent and well planned campaigns by Apple that I've seen.

Unfortunately it turns my stomach worse than pepsi. I hope they go back to low key monochrome ADs after this. I can associate myself with being a Mac user but not a pepsi drinker (haven't used iTunes download yet).

Maybe I will start to distinguish more between iTunes as a product line and other Mac products.

nothing more rolls with the times than business.

hotwire132002
Jan 29, 2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by mobility3
This is one of the most intelligent and well planned campaigns by Apple that I've seen.

Unfortunately it turns my stomach worse than pepsi. I hope they go back to low key monochrome ADs after this. I can associate myself with being a Mac user but not a pepsi drinker (haven't used iTunes download yet).

Maybe I will start to distinguish more between iTunes as a product line and other Mac products.

nothing more rolls with the times than business.

Problem is, it's not an Apple ad. The ad is done by Pepsi, and, quoting the contest rules (not word for word) "Apple is not a sponsor of this promotion" or something to that extent.

maclamb
Jan 29, 2004, 10:20 AM
I was most impressed when I saw the strength of the iTunes "Brand". No "Apple" no "Macintosh" no "iPod" - just iTunes
impressive