PDA

View Full Version : Ibook g4 hard drive upgrade, format and time machine question

TheSeaduckG4
Oct 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
i am upgrading my ibook g4 1.2 GHz powerPC from the original hardrive -30gb - with a new western digital Scorpio 250 gb drive. all my research says this will be compatible.

once the drive is installed ( i am confident I can do this correctly ) it is my understanding that I put my leopard disk in, and go to disk utility to format the drive. Then I load my files onto the ibook from a backup I created last night using time machine. My understanding is that my files and programs will be placed back onto my computer where they were before. is this correct? am i going to have to re activate my adobe CS3? quicktime pro? etc.?

I didn't see any similar questions in the forum, if i missed it and this is a repeat...sorry.

mathcolo
Oct 12, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hello TheSeaDuckG4,

Yes, you should be able to do all what you've told.

99% of drives come unformatted and even if it came formatted (still very unlikely) you'd want to format it anyway.

With CS3, you're going to want to DEACTIVATE first or otherwise it likely won't let you install again and you'll have to call Adobe and they won't be very helpful. (I know from experience) :)