PDA

View Full Version : How do we stop this spamming that has been going on?

dukebound85
Oct 11, 2008, 08:35 PM
seriously, the same people spam this site with the same message

is the only alternative to wait till they tire? or what solutions can there be?

Me1000
Oct 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
Just report spam when you see it and move on?

That's what I have been doing anyway...

dukebound85
Oct 11, 2008, 08:40 PM
yea same here but it does not seem to work as then another user will sign up and do it all over again

JML42691
Oct 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just report spam when you see it and move on?

That's what I have been doing anyway...
Only it is not that simple, somebody posted a thread a few days back about a website, and it was determined that the site was spam, and the owner/admin of that site have created many accounts here defending their site and demanding that their site name not be censored here. They will create a thread with an every day normal title and when you open it they all have the same message. Is there any way to block their IP's?

Sun Baked
Oct 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
We can always add him to www.ripoffreport.com

Then he will be fighting two sites about his scam company. :p

Edit: He is sort of mad that his company shows up when someone runs a google scam search on him, and he got caught in his own spam trap.

Is there any way to block their IP's?

He is going through a anonymizer, so blocking him will shut down some of the school kids. Something the idiot bragged about.

Jaffa Cake
Oct 12, 2008, 01:32 AM
yea same here but it does not seem to work as then another user will sign up and do it all over againWith any spam that gets posted and indeed any posts that break forum rules in one way or another the best thing to do is to report it to the mods. If an individual is posting the same message again and again, popping links in your report message will help them see the problem.

Only it is not that simple, somebody posted a thread a few days back about a website, and it was determined that the site was spam, and the owner/admin of that site have created many accounts here... Is there any way to block their IP's?
If a member is banned, then resigning up with new accounts is once again against the rules here. I think in extreme cases our mighty leaders can actually ban IP addresses (rather than just locking accounts) to prevent persistent offenders from coming back to haunt us.

robbieduncan
Oct 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
I think in extreme cases our mighty leaders can actually ban IP addresses (rather than just locking accounts) to prevent persistent offenders from coming back to haunt us.

Unless the individual uses an proxy to hide/fake/alter their IP. Which the individual with the fake looking website and spamy tendencies indicated he was doing in one of his threads that I saw...

Jaffa Cake
Oct 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
Unless the individual uses an proxy to hide/fake/alter their IP. Which the individual with the fake looking website and spamy tendencies indicated he was doing in one of his threads that I saw...Curses! They're more cunning then I first thought.

Are there any ways to get around this and actually make permanent bans permanent, then?

robbieduncan
Oct 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
Curses! They're more cunning then I first thought.

Are there any ways to get around this and actually make permanent bans permanent, then?

Hitmen are quite expensive :p

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2008, 06:57 AM
It's a tricky one, banning IP's for the most part isn't very useful since they tend to change. You can't readily ban entire ranges because you run a good risk of blocking perfectly innocent potential visitors.

Given the enormous amount of posts made daily here the volume of spam is really just a tiny fraction.

Yes, it's annoying, but all you need do is simply report it and as soon as a mod comes on line they can clean it up without fuss.

bigandy
Oct 13, 2008, 06:59 AM
If a member is banned, then resigning up with new accounts is once again against the rules here. I think in extreme cases our mighty leaders can actually ban IP addresses (rather than just locking accounts) to prevent persistent offenders from coming back to haunt us.
Useless if the user has either the common dynamic IP, or the less common multiple IPs, with their internet service. http://pxuk.net/up/files/1/macrumors/Disappointed.tiff

Hitmen are quite expensive :p

Maybe there should me a MacRumors Assassins' Guild. That'd get around the problem of cost.

wordmunger
Oct 13, 2008, 07:14 AM
Most importantly: DON'T REPLY to spammers' threads -- this will only call attention to them. Report to mods, let the mods handle.

JML42691
Oct 13, 2008, 07:16 AM
...Maybe there should me a MacRumors Assassins' Guild. That'd get around the problem of cost.
Shhh, you're not supposed to talk about it, haha.

iJohnHenry
Oct 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
Ah, The Star Chamber (1983).

Got it. ;) http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/Hidebodies.gif

Consultant
Oct 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
Admins, there should be some script that search for certain text and automatically send those posts to admins for review.

Use the Report Post button.
|
|
|
V