Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I have finally decided to pull the trigger and switch. My thought is I should get the dual 1.8 g5. My needs are basic but I want something that won't be needing replaced soon. My question is should I wait for an update even though I don't need much more of a computer. My only needs are picture editing, internet, quicken and I would like to start producing my own home videos. Any advise would be great before I buy.

MacandCheese

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2003
Oregon
We are in the same Yacht!!

I am prepped to buy as well!!! Whats the word on updates besides there being none for the past 6 months?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Faster CPUs are coming, the XServe shows that to be the case.

Of course it can still be 4 weeks away, depending on whether Apple wants "immediate" availability or a 4-6 week wait.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, aside from getting a faster machine (it will be nice for the video) it will be cooler and need less power as well as a possible savings in money. If you're willing to get a 1.8 now, you could probably get the dual 2.0 (assuming this will be the bottom end machine) and have a lot more money to spend on memory and other important things.

FYI - don't get memory from Apple, get the minimum and buy extra from somewhere else.

D

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Even though I love my dual 2.0 G5, I'd have to recommend waiting for the next revision. I already had to replace my video card and am waiting for a fix for the "chirping" fan noise. Alot of people are in the same boat, so wait until they some out with the next revision. I'll bet they'll have these problems ironed out by then. Gosh, I love being a beta-tester for Apple. :D

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
viri

u r sure ;p?

i hope we see them at least on late march
then it will take another 2-3 month for shipping - so it will be june
lol

apple makes products so that when u get them delivered there are already new products on the market, stupid ****! :-].

can i cancle my order if it takes more than 2 weeks?

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I think the 1.8 dual is adequate and am thinking of just holding the receipt for any price reductions of current inventory. I am also buying applecare so that if I have any issues I have something to help. This will be my first mac. All advise is greatly appreciated.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
If you can wait it out till the next update, wait. The dual 1.8 is a great machine, but a couple of weeks might bring the price on it down considerably.

But that's just me.;)

Twonk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
yorkshire, engerland
I say thee wait

I too am about to buy a new machine & I am waiting till the next round of upgrades.

I have an old G3, blue & white, revision one model which I bought as soon as it came out. Bad move. Within a short period of time Apple had made so many changes to the product line that my machine was very quickly left behind.

The motto - NEVER buy a revision one Mac. They ALWAYS teak their product lines shortly after launch so it is totally worth your while hanging on in there. It could mean an extra 12 months of life for your kit if you do. :)

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
What A Depressing thought!

MacOSRumors has come out saying that Powermacs will not be out until March or April. However, MacOSRumors is usually incorrect according to many sources, (macwhispers for one, who used to be a rumor site but now is releasing articles, etc.) so I'm not worried too much, but it would be a real shame if they were actually right on this one.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: What A Depressing thought!

Originally posted by invaLPsion
MacOSRumors has come out saying that Powermacs will not be out until March or April. However, MacOSRumors is usually incorrect according to many sources, (macwhispers for one, who used to be a rumor site but now is releasing articles, etc.) so I'm not worried too much, but it would be a real shame if they were actually right on this one.
They are probably speculating that Apple won't make the same mistake they made when they released the G5s in the first place -- the G5 pre-order fiasco -- and will make the new machine announcement when the machines actually ship to stores.

With the XServe G5 is serving as their baseline for PPC970FX availability.

Not too big a stretch, and why I was saying it might still be 4 weeks away.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Stupid Apple. They have had over 6 months to get the Powermacs updated, and now is the time to do it. I don't want to wait around another two months for a new powermac, but I also don't want to buy before new ones are released! :mad:

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
don't blame just apple for this mishap on producing G5's. IBM is also partial to blame because we have no clue how many PPC970s they have been producing. I am too waiting on a new G5 as it will be my first mac. I would like one soon but will wait for the revision.

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
I have to say that even though I am very impatient, I also am waiting for the updates because I see no sense in buying something that will probably be hundreds of dollars less in maybe a months time, not to mention much faster.

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I am not all that worried about whether or not my pc will be priced lower. I am confortable with the market and the evolution of the computer. We will always own a computer thats loses its value. The reason for not buying an imac is to get more life out of my computer. Thats why I thought of the G5 instead. My needs in the pc world would at or around a basic AMD Athlon 2500+ w/ 512, 80gb. My thoughts are that the dp 1.8 pm g5 could suit my needs for many years.
Uses:
gaming: gotta have civ3-thats it
internet
basic photography
quicken
home video: this is new to me and just want to learn
Thanks for everyones advise, if I knew updates were a few days away then no problem, I'd wait. I need to eliminate my p1 200mhz very soon!

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
My advice...is to wait until the new powermac's come out and then buy a refurbished Dual 2.0 version A model as they try to clear them out of the warehouse. You will get an awesome deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.