PDA

View Full Version : Folklore.org - History of Mac

MacRumors
Jan 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
Folklore.org (http://www.folklore.org/) is website that offers historical anecdotes:

Folklore.org is a web site devoted to collective historical storytelling. It captures and presents sets of related stories that describe interesting events from multiple perspectives, allowing groups of people to recount their shared history in the form of interlinked anecdotes

At present, the site is collecting and displaying stories related to the development of the original Apple Macintosh and the people who created it. There are presently 70 stories related to this topic.

mj_1903
Jan 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
Finished reading it all about 6hrs ago. Very interesting read, well worth your time if you want to know more about the history of the Macintosh and some insights into Steve Jobs.

Peej
Jan 28, 2004, 01:19 PM
In the spirit of Studs Terkel and Howard Zinn.

"A Peoples' History of Apple"

Yeah!!!

:)

Grimace
Jan 28, 2004, 01:24 PM
Fabulous - maybe they should get endorsed by Apple

rrr
Jan 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
I found this to be an amazing site, with a surprising amount of candid details and memories about the earilier days of Apple.

joker2
Jan 28, 2004, 01:59 PM
The site seems to be getting MR'd (rather than /.'d) as it's running a little slower than the last time I was there.

Wonder Boy
Jan 28, 2004, 02:01 PM
i dont care. i want new hardware.

CubeHacker
Jan 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
I read all 70 articles yesterday. I found it very interesting to read, and it has a ton of info about the early days of Apple, and how Steve Jobs works and thinks. Its really funny how its constantly mentioned in the are articles that everyone else feared him.

I also found it amusing how Steve complained about the layout of the original Macintosh motherboard, cause the memory chips weren't "pretty enough".

Thirteenva
Jan 28, 2004, 02:36 PM
I've been perusing the articles and find them to be very entertaining reads.

Kudos to the site creator for putting together some create pieces of macintosh history.

digitalbiker
Jan 28, 2004, 02:46 PM
Does it mention the story of how Steve Jobs lied to Woz about the amount of a large contract sale and cheated Woz out of his share of the split? This was at a time when Jobs and Woz were struggling and Woz was doing all of the engineering and design work.

I think this is the story that provides the most insight into Job's character. Woz now thinks so too. It hurt him bad after he found out years later.

Omad0n
Jan 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
Wow, what a good read this will be. I'm looking forward to it.

QuiteSure
Jan 28, 2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
i dont care. i want new hardware.

I hate to say it, but I agree, sort of. The macweb has become dull as dirt lately, and here is a story (earnest though it may be) about Mac history as the top story on page 1.

It appears that nothing's happening.

I'm tempted to delete all my macweb bookmarks.

ckelley
Jan 28, 2004, 04:01 PM
Then what do you want them to do? They could just put nothing... :rolleyes:

ebow
Jan 28, 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by shadow95
The site seems to be getting MR'd (rather than /.'d) as it's running a little slower than the last time I was there.

You should have seen it yesterday when it was slashdotted. Molasses in the winter...

QuiteSure
Jan 28, 2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
Then what do you want them to do? They could just put nothing... :rolleyes:

I don't know. I'm remembering back to the days just after OSX 10.1 was released, when every day brought new native software for this exciting new platform. I couldn't wait to get onto the macweb to see what was new and available.

Now ... Garageband. Probably a watershed product, but not for me. 2003 was an amazing year: Al PBs, new iPod, iTMS, announcement of G5s. This year, so far ...

Garageband.

I want something to wake me up, I don't care if it's hardware or software.

So what should a site like Macrumors do during these dull dull dull times?

I don't know. I think it's probably a problem.

But folklore?:confused:

merges
Jan 28, 2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
I don't know. I'm remembering back to the days just after OSX 10.1 was released, when every day brought new native software for this exciting new platform. I couldn't wait to get onto the macweb to see what was new and available.

Now ... Garageband. Probably a watershed product, but not for me. 2003 was an amazing year: Al PBs, new iPod, iTMS, announcement of G5s. This year, so far ...

Garageband.

I take it you don't work in the computer industry, especially not for Apple, if you think the miracles you're hoping for happen overnight? According to your list for 2003 one, two, three, four great things Apple did. So one every three months.

Of course, you count GarageBand as the only thing that has happened in the first *four weeks* of this year. Never mind the iPod mini, Final Cut Express 2, or the major iLife updates. My god, the year has just barely started, hold your horses...

SiliconAddict
Jan 28, 2004, 05:36 PM
I had formed an opinion of Jobs early on simply from his atrocities against the Newton and Pirates of Silicon Valley but held back a bit on that opinion because movies ALWAYS embellish/distort the facts. But after reading this I've come to the firm conclusion that Jobs is either:
1. A full blown psychopath
2. Or is just a complete and total arrogant ***hole.

Might be a bit of both. If I had to deal with a boss like that I'd be in prison for murder. http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/smiles/new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Doctor Q
Jan 28, 2004, 06:35 PM
The stories about Bill Gates are revealing. Even then, he could write programs AND he knew how to make a killer business deal (see the MacBasic (http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=MacBasic.txt&characters=Bill%20Gates&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium) story in particular). The stories say that Bill looked down on Steve because Steve couldn't program but that Steve felt superior to Bill. As we knew, big egos from the very start.

slowtreme
Jan 28, 2004, 07:08 PM
that's funny, I had no idea the site was new. I just spent about 3 days reading through the articles during breaks at work. Nice site.

Frohickey
Jan 28, 2004, 07:19 PM
Whatever happened to the rest of these people?

Are they off in an island somewhere drinking drinks with umbrella hats on them?

Doctor Q
Jan 28, 2004, 09:20 PM
How is this that this domain name was available? What was folklore.org before this Apple history site was created?

raynegus
Jan 28, 2004, 09:24 PM
GREAT STUFF:

When Steve Jobs found out about Windows, he went ballistic.

"Get Gates down here immediately", he fumed to Mike Boich, Mac's original evangelist who was in charge of our relationships with third party developers. "He needs to explain this, and it better be good. I want him in this room by tomorrow afternoon, or else!"

And, to my surprise, I was invited to a meeting in that conference room the next afternoon, where Bill Gates had somehow manifested, alone, surrounded by ten Apple employees. I think Steve wanted me there because I had evidence of Neil asking about the internals, but that never came up, so I was just a fascinated observer as Steve started yelling at Bill, asking him why he violated their agreement.

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!"

MacFan26
Jan 28, 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Peej
In the spirit of Studs Terkel and Howard Zinn.

"A Peoples' History of Apple"

Yeah!!!

:)

:D Good one!

paulc
Jan 29, 2004, 08:51 AM
Ah, the MacBasic story! I've told this story for many years and most times I got the impression that nobody believed me. I had the software (although I doubt I could put my finger on a floppy of it) and I had the preliminary manual (I still do have that xeroxed manual).

What I was not aware of was that part of it related to the "look and feel" agreement.

wdlove
Jan 29, 2004, 11:43 AM
That is a nice site, thank you for the link. I enjoyed the old photo's.

Doctor Q
Jan 29, 2004, 12:24 PM
In A Message For Adam (http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Tell_Adam_Hes_An_*******.txt), we learn that Adam Osborne said, to Apple employees, "Go back and tell Steve Jobs that the Osborne 1 is going to outsell the Apple II and the Macintosh combined!" and that Steve Jobs said, in a return message, "the Macintosh is so good that he's probably going to buy a few for his children even though it put his company out of business!"

Wondering what happened after that? Read the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Computer_Corporation) and find out! I wonder if Osborne had kids and if they ever got Macintoshes?

Edit: More research shows that Osborne married and divorced twice. He died in March 2003, leaving his first wife, Cynthia Geddes, and their three children, Marc, Paul, and Alexandra Osborne, and his second wife, Barbara Burdick. Hey Marc, Paul, and Alex - do you have Macintoshes?

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 03:53 PM
nice site. stories were good tooo sigh all the backbiting, lets just hope it doesnt all fall apart again

JimA4Media
Jan 31, 2004, 12:23 AM
I just found the Folklore site this week, and this discussion about it this week also.

A couple of former Apple employees and myself put together another AppleLore history site ourselves at -

http://apple.computerhistory.org if you haven't seen it yet.

It was done with Frontier and Manila, which go way back in Macintosh history.

I really like what Andy Hertzfeld did with Python and his FolkLore software. His stories are really good also. It would be nice to see everyone involved with Macintosh development to contribute to these sites to record for posterity, the great history of these machines.

Jim Armstrong

idkew
Jan 31, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Jobs is either:
1. A full blown psychopath
2. Or is just a complete and total arrogant ***hole.

My comp sci teacher in HS worked at apple with the newton. He said Jobs was an ass. He would say to B, "a called you an explicative" and then go over to A and say, "B called you (the same) explicative".

he had/s an interesting way of motivating people.

hob
Jan 5, 2005, 04:44 PM
Ok, ok - I know I'm about 12 months late with this post, but I've been reading Folklore.org for about an hour now...!

It's really interesting, but what does get me is how much Microsoft relied on Apple back in the old days... It makes me think that in some ways Steve Jobs could have done with a calmer right-hand man so that he would piss off Bill Gates (and many other Apple employees) so much. I think that the fact that Gates disliked Jobs so much was probably one of the main reasons that Windows appeared in the first place.

Then again, OS X probably wouldn't exist today if windows wasn't around - competition breeds innovation...!

Hob

Mechcozmo
Jan 5, 2005, 10:08 PM
Does it mention the story of how Steve Jobs lied to Woz about the amount of a large contract sale and cheated Woz out of his share of the split? This was at a time when Jobs and Woz were struggling and Woz was doing all of the engineering and design work.

I think this is the story that provides the most insight into Job's character. Woz now thinks so too. It hurt him bad after he found out years later.

It did, but it is an interesting insight to how Jobs thinks. His reasoning was "If you buy something for $0.50 and some guy wants it for $2, sell it to him for $2 because that is what it is worth to him."

I got that quote out of Apple History, a book that is very very good IMO.
Makes sense, but it isn't nice... of course, does this mean that Steve can cut the prices on the Power Macs? 'Cause if he can...

And the contract was an Atari contract for Pong I believe. 44 chips or something-- very good...

MacNeXT
Jan 6, 2005, 10:13 AM
Steve Wozinak has his own site too. He answers a lot of questons, interesting to read. He seems like a really nice guy.

www.woz.org

Doctor Q
Jan 6, 2005, 11:42 AM
Steve Wozinak has his own site too. He answers a lot of questons, interesting to read. He seems like a really nice guy.He is. I know from secondhand experience (mutual acquaintances). He has a good sense of humor, sends jokes to friends, gets to voice his opinion without needing to convince everyone, and doesn't have to work under constant pressure running Apple as certain other Steves do.

wdlove
Jan 6, 2005, 01:46 PM
It is always interesting to look back at history. A chance to see that one change could have made today a very different world. I suppose that's the reason that the two Steve's got along because opposites attract. Our current Steve and Bill are just too much alike.

Platform
Jan 7, 2005, 05:45 AM
Nice site for Apple history ;) but hasent it been around for a while thouht I had seen it before :confused:

hob
Jan 7, 2005, 01:25 PM
Nice site for Apple history ;) but hasent it been around for a while thouht I had seen it before :confused:

Yeah - sorry for the confusion - I just ressurected a 12 month old thread...!

Hob