Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonylinde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Apologies if this has been answered before but I searched on 'VOB' and found lots of threads but none exactly what I want. I am recording stuff from cable (VirginMedia V+ in UK: sometimes 1-2 films, sometimes 4-5 TV programmes) which I then transfer to DVD (recorded in EP format, so ~4 hours on DVD) - it turns up in TS/VOB format (whatever that means).

All I want to do is import to the Mac (OS X 10.5.5), edit out the adverts and then put the uninterrupted programme(s) back onto DVD in the same VOB/TS format so that it plays on our DVD players.

Can people recommend the best software to do this (free - $100), preferably all in the same app. I've seen Toast recommended - will this do it all? If not, any others?

Thanks,
Tony.

RatVega

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Southern California
First off, I suspect that what you're proposing violates all kinds of copyrights and generally makes a mockery of the whole concept of intellectual property, but...

I going to guess from the OS version number that your Mac is semi-modern and came with iLife. If so, all you should need to do is get a copy of MPEG Streamclip and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component ($20 at the Apple site if you don't already have it) and de-mux the VOBs to .dv to be editable in iMovie. Once edited, the clips can be exported to iDVD and burned or sent to Toast for conversion to a VIDEO_TS file. If you burned via iDVD to a DVD-RW you could copy off the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files and then recycle the disk, you could skip Toast altogether.

Exman

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
Can people recommend the best software to do this (free - $100), preferably all in the same app. I've seen Toast recommended - will this do it all? If not, any others?

Thanks,
Tony.

Sadly, there is nothing that's half decent on a Mac that can be compared to VideoRedo on Windows. This is the best and fastest method, there is no conversion needed (no time wasted, no quality loss) and it authors directly to DVD. It is worth using Windows alone for his product.
http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

Alternatively, you can chug along for hours with iMovie and iDVD. But I wouldn't fancy that.

tonylinde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Thanks to you both. I'll give both options a try.

Sadly, there is nothing that's half decent on a Mac

I'm astonished. I'd assumed that the Mac would have much better tools for this sort of thing. Luckily I have VMWare Fusion (and a separate WinXP machine in case that doesn't work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.