Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishguts56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Ok...I know everyone is going to say "it takes 5 seconds to eject" but I have been using a mac now for over 15 years and i am getting sick of ejecting every time. What do you people think...can i just pull out my USBs and then just click OK on the error message...I am using 2 external hard drives that are connected to USBs...why can you just pull it out on WINDOWS but not on a mac...it is one thing that realllllly pisses me off about macs. If I wanna just take my laptop on my bed I can't just pull out the stuff...i need to eject everything then i can go...

what do you think?

can i just yank the **** out?

-john

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Ok...I know everyone is going to say "it takes 5 seconds to eject" but I have been using a mac now for over 15 years and i am getting sick of ejecting every time. What do you people think...can i just pull out my USBs and then just click OK on the error message...I am using 2 external hard drives that are connected to USBs...why can you just pull it out on WINDOWS but not on a mac...it is one thing that realllllly pisses me off about macs. If I wanna just take my laptop on my bed I can't just pull out the stuff...i need to eject everything then i can go...

what do you think?

can i just yank the **** out?

-john

It's only a precaution in case you're in the middle of copying something but then forget and just pull it out. It does the same with any iPod that has disk use enabled...whenever I plug my 30GB classic in, I just yank it out as soon as I'm done. Nothing bad's happened.

Be thankful that Macs do it -- you wouldn't want to be transferring something really important only to pull it out and have it corrupted. Microsoft doesn't seem to care in that regard.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You aren't supposed to just remove it without ejecting it in Windows, either (you're supposed to click on the system tray icon and then choose the option for safely removing it, first). Your risk of data loss / corruption of the drive is pretty much the same in either Windows or OS X. If you really think you can get away with it, you can do what you do in Windows on OS X also, but the risk of data loss is your own to manage.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Just yank the thing, tanj in torment, it's fine as long as you're not doing anything to or from it.

The only reason the "safeguard" is there is to tell you not to pull it out when you're transferring files or reformatting it.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You're suppose to eject in windows as well. I just wanelted to reiterate this because I have gotten my usb drive corrupted more than once by just unplugging it.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You're suppose to eject in windows as well. I just wanelted to reiterate this because I have gotten my usb drive corrupted more than once by just unplugging it.

Yep the same for Windows or OSX. Yank at your own risk.

ankitsid

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
im on windows still
and i always eject my external hdd it does it safely

i use to alway sjust yank the cable out and go on with my day
until one day i realized that a lot of my important documents videos pictures and such were missing
ever since ive been ejecting nothing has gone missing

so for safety id say eject it

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yep, unmount the volume before yanking.

Might work fine for you to not worry about it, but there are quite a few post from Mac users with damage file systems from yanking the drive before ejecting it.

Whining how they have a lot of important data on the drive and how to save it.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
what about my iphone? i've sometimes gotten a call when its charging from my macbook and i don't have time to eject it, am i damaging my iphone?

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
what about my iphone? i've sometimes gotten a call when its charging from my macbook and i don't have time to eject it, am i damaging my iphone?

Probably not, but remember an iPhone like an iPod can be repaired from inside iTunes if anything does ever happen.

The main reason you are supposed to unmount a drive is, as other posters have mentioned, to prevent you disturbing a file transfer or data read. However, you may also cause a problem similar to trying to empty the Trash when a file in the Trash is still in use - if you close a program but do not quit it, it may still be communicating with a file or folder on the drive in question. This may cause the application to become unresponsive (I have had this problem before with Mail and Pages) or cause major corruption to the open file or folder.

Its always better to be safe than sorry. Click; Command+E

As a post note, remember that if an external drive is partitioned you must eject each partition before you remove the drive. In Finder an easy way to do this is to hit Option when you eject.

Hope this helps everyone.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
pendrives on my mac get pulled , USB HDD's get ejected in the proper manor

mmm sort of reminds me of express shut down of my work pc's here at work !

when i want to shut em both down and the end of a day i just yank the power cords out the back - hell of alot quicker then start,shutdown,are you sure you want to shutdown, wait 2 min ,wait some more then off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.