PDA

View Full Version : Waited as long as I could...

peaks
Jan 28, 2004, 01:51 PM
After finding this site, and hearing of the impending G5 speed bump I decided to give them a hard look.

No release, no news, no nothing, had to go with the enemy.

I did enjoy my brief yet unforthcoming journey back into Macland. You guys are a much more animate bunch than I remember, as one of the original Mac fanatics I remember the (college)days of playing network Marathon on my 8100/100AV. There was another game... Escape Velocity! I truly enjoyed being a mac user; I had no use for PC's and couldn't understand those that did. Of course, the rift was much larger then than now, and Linux was still a command line nightmare...

But I truly have enjoyed it and will continue to keep track of this site and others, as well as Apple's. If/when they come out with something that fits my needs a little better, I'll happily buy it and migrate back.

Mike

parrothead
Jan 28, 2004, 02:09 PM
Good luck with your new PC. You'll probably need it!

peaks
Jan 28, 2004, 02:15 PM
I've gotten this far...

I like PC's, I like Sun and SG as well... I just like computers in general.

Sometimes you just have to manhandle them to get them to do what you want.

iGav
Jan 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by peaks
I've gotten this far...

I like PC's, I like Sun and SG as well... i just like computers in general.

Sometimes you just have to manhandle them to get them to do what you want.

what did you end up buying?? :)

peaks
Jan 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
Precision 650 dual 3.06

I really needed a true workstation, the 15k drives and ws class video cards are what ended up selling me.

edit: I'm not saying that the G5 is not a workstation class machine.

iGav
Jan 28, 2004, 02:26 PM
Precision 650 dual 3.06

I really needed a true workstation, the 15k drives and ws class video cards are what ended up selling me.

edit: I'm not saying that the G5 is not a workstation class machine.

I'm not a fan, but that's still a swift machine all the same... ;) so what's it going to be used for??

As for the G5's... heaven only knows what Apple are waiting for.... :rolleyes: I was really, really hoping that when Job's announced they'd be at 3GHz within 12 months of the WDC, I was maybe thinking more frequent updates between back then, and 3GHz mid-year.

Looks more likely that there will be just the 1 update sandwiched between the Dual 2GHz and the Dual 3GHz... :(

peaks
Jan 28, 2004, 02:35 PM
The 3's would have sold apple a machine.

I plan on using it for... seti!

Actually it will be used for web/graphics development. It will retire as a nice server in about 2-3 years.

I look at it like this, it's my livelihood. The G5 dual 2.0's are fast, but I will never be convinced that they are faster than duel xeon 3.06's. That being said, when apple closes the speed gap and becomes the unequivocal leader in performance, then they become a much more significant contender. In respect to all other things, the computer is a small investment.

I'm also a webhost, on the largest sites I keep track of, Mac users only account for 3-5% of the traffic. IF it looks good in IE, I've covered 80% of my audience. Ideally, it looks good in everything!

agreenster
Jan 28, 2004, 03:29 PM
The G5 dual 2.0's are fast, but I will never be convinced that they are faster than duel xeon 3.06's.

You're probably right, but when Pixar did early benchmarks in Renderman with a 2ghz G5 vs a 2.8ghz Xeon, the G5 beat it. (3:36 minutes per frame vs 4:06 minutes per frame) I think a lot of what is holding the G5 back is the video card and lack of proper compilers. New cards are coming and IBM recently released new (proper) compliers, so we'll see.

I really hope the reason there were no 2.6 ghz G5s announced recently is because they (apple) are getting 3ghz chips (from ibm) faster than what they were expecting and are updating them in march or april, instead of september.

heres to hopin!