PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime of Pepsi-iTunes Superbowl Ad

MacRumors
Jan 28, 2004, 04:34 PM
Appleinsider has posted (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=358) a quicktime version of the Pepsi iTunes Superbowl ad.

The ad was described earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040128100718.shtml) by Apple:

This groundbreaking ad, featuring 16 real-life teenagers who were sued by the recording industry for illegally downloading music from the Internet, shows music fans a new way to freely and legally download music--the Pepsi iTunes 100 Million Song Giveaway. The commercial is set to Green Day's version of "I Fought the Law.”

srobert
Jan 28, 2004, 04:36 PM
What? Is that common practice to reveal a superbowl ad before the superbowl? Strange.

Tiauguinho
Jan 28, 2004, 04:38 PM
And its already down! :D

Wes
Jan 28, 2004, 04:39 PM
Error 453, Not enough bandwidth. Was BOUND to happen.

dbenesch
Jan 28, 2004, 04:40 PM
but a bit disappointing for a $1.4 million, Super Bowl spot. But that's me...

McToast
Jan 28, 2004, 04:42 PM
It's already gone! Geez...

Edit: actually, how come when I click on the link my mac opens up RealPlayer instead of QuickTime like it should???:confused: :confused: :confused:

me hate windows
Jan 28, 2004, 04:45 PM
just copy and paste the link on the bottom into quicktime, thats how i got it to work

johnnyjibbs
Jan 28, 2004, 04:47 PM
Can't view it here either...

Strangely, when I click the link it opens up RealOne Player, which then can't play it. Works in QT player though, or would if they had enough bandwidth...

Dan8302
Jan 28, 2004, 04:48 PM
O man, did that add suck, what a waste of advertising money, I don't want the apple name anywhere near that commercial.

McToast
Jan 28, 2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Can't view it here either...

Strangely, when I click the link it opens up RealOne Player, which then can't play it. Works in QT player though, or would if they had enough bandwidth...

Glad I'm not the only one who had RealPlayer open up instead of QuickTime.

rainman::|:|
Jan 28, 2004, 04:54 PM
yeah, i thought my computer was screwed up, but they must have done something wrong. and i'm getting the same bandwidth error in QT too. why did they have to make it streaming? seems like a normal movie would require less bandwidth, as people wouldn't be reloading it, they just have to download once...

paul

fredwick
Jan 28, 2004, 04:56 PM
didn't work with real or QT. oh well i'll just have to wait.

SFNE Freak
Jan 28, 2004, 04:57 PM
Yea...opens up RealOne for me too.

Messiatosh
Jan 28, 2004, 05:01 PM
Enjoy my spoof!

Here's my spoof (Steve Jobs will use this as the alternate at the last minute if he sees fit) (homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/iMovieTheater10.html)

a9mike
Jan 28, 2004, 05:04 PM
You just have to keep trying, through QT - there are only so many streams allowed at one time...

And yes - it sux - bad - not Apple worthy at all - Apple obviously had nothing to do with the design/production of the commercial. It is what I expected, a Pepsi ad.

It is not an iTunes ad.

SFNE Freak
Jan 28, 2004, 05:07 PM
Just pressed Play over and over for about a minute and finally saw it. Its crap. But, the song is good.

gekko513
Jan 28, 2004, 05:08 PM
So when is this superbowl anyway?

Clearly, Apple is waiting for this event before they release any new products. Probably they want to get a good spin on the interest for Apple and then just blow everyone away with some stunning new iMacs or something. :D

JohnGillilan
Jan 28, 2004, 05:13 PM
How do you suppose the ad was leaked?? You'd think they would keep something like that under lock and key, especially when Apple is involved. Anyways -- kind of a disappointing ad, but I like the concept. Maybe they have another one in addition to this.

javabear90
Jan 28, 2004, 05:19 PM
Ya... if you click it for about 45 secs it works. But when it does... its not much. This ad really does sux..
-ted

aethier
Jan 28, 2004, 05:22 PM
For those of you how have real player opening instead: File>Preferences>Media Type>deselect "default for Real Time Streaming Protocal"

aethier

yoman
Jan 28, 2004, 05:26 PM
it was not what i expected, it was somewhat, oh how do you say it, cheesy?!

:rolleyes:

dbenesch
Jan 28, 2004, 05:26 PM
So can anyone actually find Green Day's "I Fought the Law" on the iTunes Music Store? I can't. That would be very odd...

danielgrenell
Jan 28, 2004, 05:31 PM
clicking the link opens real player for me (weird), so i pasted it into qt, then it told me there wasn't enough bandwidth

povvy
Jan 28, 2004, 05:35 PM
Ugh. People watching this on Sunday is going to have NO IDEA what it is unless they have heard about it. The song is a great idea, but the girl's speaking part is pretty lame.

Patrick.

gerardrj
Jan 28, 2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Messiatosh
Enjoy my spoof!

Here's my spoof (Steve Jobs will use this as the alternate at the last minute if he sees fit) (homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/iMovieTheater10.html)

That's lame. And you need to get your facts straight.. no-one was arrested in the RIAA crackdown, they were sent subpeonas or sued. The police were not involved.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 28, 2004, 05:38 PM
i got it after clicking it over and over. i see it as just another commercial. nothing special about it, though i think it was overhyped.

oh, and don't make fun of the girl's speaking, not that polite.

Freg3000
Jan 28, 2004, 05:39 PM
Errrrr.....

I think the Apple intro video their ran at the Music Events keynote in October feature Dawn Hudson was better than that. Oh well.

Phatpat
Jan 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
I can't find the song on ITMS and I can't find it on poisoned either (not that I would download it if I did...). Does it exist?

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by gekko513
So when is this superbowl anyway?

Clearly, Apple is waiting for this event before they release any new products. Probably they want to get a good spin on the interest for Apple and then just blow everyone away with some stunning new iMacs or something. :D

This Sun.

I think it's odd to see this add before the actual SB...maybe they don't think it's important.

Oh I do have Real Player but QT did open for the video..but it didn't play...because of a bandwidth issue.

breakaway1029
Jan 28, 2004, 05:42 PM
That is the WORST add for ANYTHING that I have EVER SEEN. That was completely pointless. That was a complete waste of money, and I would much rather see an apple-only add, or no add at all. That is a complete piece of $h1T.

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 05:44 PM
Weird...I finally got it..but all I can see is the AI logo..but rest screen remains black for rest of the 47 secs.

vitrector
Jan 28, 2004, 05:48 PM
Clearly, this add will not make advertising history, except possibly in a bad way, but it kindda think it gets the point accross.

But I agree with those who have said: CHEESY

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 05:50 PM
Was Apple even in the ad??
It's barely mentioned..

"I saw the Ad and the Ad sucked, I saw the Ad and the...AD SUCKED!"

Messiatosh
Jan 28, 2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
It's barely mentioned..

Eh ehm, thanks for quoting me, haha! My spoof is so ridiculous...not as ridiculously bad as the Pepsi cross promo though.

klondikekat
Jan 28, 2004, 05:57 PM
Never in my life have I been more disappointed with a commercial. What a pile of crap!

jimjiminyjim
Jan 28, 2004, 05:59 PM
Is that *really* the ad?

mhouse
Jan 28, 2004, 06:02 PM
I was confused by the hype leading up to this ad and now I'm even more confused with the disappoinment some posters are expressing.

It a *Pepsi* ad announcing a *Pepsi* contest. Pepsi designed the ad, paid for the free songs, and paid for the superbowl ad time. Apple is involved in one way...providing the songs and the online distribution system.

Its a huge boost for Apple to have "iTunes" plastered on every Pepsi bottle for two months no matter how you look at it, but at no point did Steve Jobs or anyone else ever bill this as some major Apple hardware/product intro.

Its a soda ad, folks. Designed to sell lots of Pepsi. Its not an Apple ad designed to sell lots of Macs. Nor was it ever presented as such. Its just big, dumb mainstream advertising. If you want Apple to enter a broader market with iTunes/iPod then you'd better get used to it.

Just out of curiosity...what in the world were some of you expecting? From the time it was announced that Pepsi was involved you should have known it was no groundbreaking event...I'd love to read some posts about what kind of revolutionary ad for bottled pop you were thinking of...

gekko513
Jan 28, 2004, 06:03 PM
I don't think a blue "Q" with a clock hand and a blue wavy thingy under it is going to sell any Pepsi or iTunes songs.

Grant me some bandwidth, will ya *sigh*

Modano
Jan 28, 2004, 06:04 PM
IIRC, Green Day covered "I Fought the Law" just for this commercial. It's not on the iTMS or any album, because they've never "released" it.

jimjiminyjim
Jan 28, 2004, 06:05 PM
after my simple question, I went back to the ad and watched it a couple more times. mHouse, you're right. It IS a soda add. What better way to get people who aren't using iTunes to use it. If they were tech savvy, kept up on internet news, then they'd already have checked it out. This is smart. I've changed my skepticism. The ad makes sense.

thatguy_youknow
Jan 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
I think that the ad could of been better if that chick didn't start talking in the middle of it. Kinda like the Runaway Train video from the early to mid 90's. Just showing the kids and then have screens of text like the iPod commercials.

jimjiminyjim
Jan 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by gekko513
I don't think a blue "Q" with a clock hand and a blue wavy thingy under it is going to sell any Pepsi or iTunes songs.

Grant me some bandwidth, will ya *sigh*

I've watched the add 3 or 4 times... It just takes a few tries before you can sneak into the que. Keep clicking!

kanaka
Jan 28, 2004, 06:07 PM
When you install RealOne, it takes over playing of real time streams (sweet). As somebody else mentioned, you have to open RealOne, open the Preferences under the RealOne Player menu. Select the 'Media Types' section, and uncheck the box for Real-Time Streaming Protocol that says "Always play with RealOne Player." Then QuickTime player should play the streams when you click on the links.

Originally posted by McToast

Edit: actually, how come when I click on the link my mac opens up RealPlayer instead of QuickTime like it should???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Macmaniac
Jan 28, 2004, 06:08 PM
Wow, that as was incredibly retarded! Jeez what a waste of money, they could have made something much cooler. What a lame ad.

thecow
Jan 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
Whenever I try to play it QT either gives me a "Not enough bandwidth" message or it connects, than says "Waiting for media" and than it disconnects. Is anyone else having this problem?

corey
Jan 28, 2004, 06:14 PM
i have this strange feeling that this isnt the real commercial

bigsteve
Jan 28, 2004, 06:22 PM
For those of you getting bandwidth errors from Appleinsider, it can be downloaded from yourmaclife.com

http://www.yourmaclife.com/subpages/qt/Pepsiads/pepsilaw.mov

Arn: I dunno, but it might be a good idea to add this link to the front page as well :)

polyesterlester
Jan 28, 2004, 06:22 PM
NOTE TO EVERYBODY WHO'S HAVING TROUBLE WATCHING THE AD:

1. Go to AppleInsider article.
2. Right-click or control-click the link to the ad, and copy the link to your clipboard.
3. Change the 2 to a 1.
4. Enjoy!

This worked for me. It's the lower quality video, but I tried for an hour to watch the high quality version and couldn't.

varmit
Jan 28, 2004, 06:26 PM
Its and AD to sell Pepsi, not iTunes. So to us, it really does suck. I hope they got something better than that up their sleeves for the Super Bowl.

On another note: Song sounds really good.

arn

alternate link

arn

zellin
I didn't see the ad, prefer to be surprised.
I'm sure that Green Day's cover will be available "exclusively" on iTMS on the tuesday after the ad.

JediL
Jan 28, 2004, 06:39 PM
Doesn't seem like the commercial was made by the Ad company Apple uses (Chiat/Day).

Like the above poster said, this is meant to sell pepsi in a promotion to mainly promote pepsi. So probably Steve didn't have his perfectionist hands all over the commercial.

From the POV of a pepsi commercial, it's better than those crappy "it's the cola" commercials.

Probably not fair to criticize Apple or Chiat/Day.

balconycollapse
Jan 28, 2004, 06:42 PM
Hmm...why am i attracted to that girl. Must be the mac in front of her, that you can't help but notice. (John Lovitz voice) Yeah, the mac...that's it. Nice (m)ack. I actually like this ad. Gets the "points" across.

woolf
Jan 28, 2004, 06:43 PM
wow that was horrible, apple is going to be laughed at for the week. (maybe month?)

i was hoping for like a big apple symbol and maybe a screen shot in the commercial. oh well. at least the bottles are decent.

paulypants
Jan 28, 2004, 06:44 PM
LOL terrible!! Ad is just as bad as the music--girl can't even speak clearly, sounds like she's got marbles in her mouth...

jeffgarden
Jan 28, 2004, 06:48 PM
can someone who has downloaded and has a .mac account host it please ? I'll do so if no one's done it by the time my download finishes but I can't get the streaming one to play, when it finally stops saying the bandwidth thing it only shows the first 10 seconds and then plays through with no audio or video and the downloadable one is going at 28.8 modem speed on my dsl connection.

polyesterlester
Jan 28, 2004, 06:48 PM
It seems that even YourMacLife can't handle the traffic. I should have a mirror on my site shortly.

Edit: Mirror posted. http://www.furtherstudios.com/pepsi/

I've posted a zip archive of this site if you want to mirror it on your server. Email me, and I'll link to your site and your mirror. It would really help with bandwidth. Thanks.

blumie607
Jan 28, 2004, 06:50 PM
I have a feeling that Apple is going to come out with some of its own advertising related to this giveaway. Maybe even with the "More than pop" slogan."

(They should have used that in the ad instead).

woolf
Jan 28, 2004, 06:51 PM
mac really hasn't had any cool commercials for a while, yes they may be different. why doesn't apple try to get the biggest stars together and have them in a commercial to promote the itms and ipod. what ever happened to buymusic.com? , i guess their little joke about apple didn't last too long. haha

a bird has wings, while a fish has fins, that alone says nothing

blumie607
Jan 28, 2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by woolf
mac really hasn't had any cool commercials for a while, yes they may be different. why doesn't apple try to get the biggest stars together and have them in a commercial to promote the itms and ipod. what ever happened to buymusic.com? , i guess their little joke about apple didn't last too long. haha

http://www.apple.com/ilife/video/

Okay, so it's not a commercial, but its available on Apple's site. I'm sure they have something up their sleeves, anyways.

Ja Di ksw
Jan 28, 2004, 06:58 PM
while I didn't like the ad, I don't think its the 'worst ad ever' or whatnot. Everyone in here is coming down on it like its so horrible it will single handedly get all but the most hardcore mac fans to abandon apple. iPods will be toosed down angrily into the street, iMacs sitting in trash cans waiting to be put in the local dump! It was an ad. No, its not that good, but there are a lot worse ones out there.

Photorun
Jan 28, 2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by arn

alternate link

arn

This link is now down or dead or something. Nothing comes up. Darn it!

doogle
Jan 28, 2004, 07:07 PM
...it doesn't appeal to me but I think it will appeal to the market it is aimed at-11 & 12 yr old soft drinkers who don't give a ****** about Macs or software - just indulging in the diversion that modern pop (music and drink) is about.

It must be said , I think if Apple had made it, it would be better.

jeffgarden
Jan 28, 2004, 07:07 PM
nevermind it timed out :P

mvc
Jan 28, 2004, 07:13 PM
That ad is just fine, it has virtually nothing to to with Apple which is good, because it's all about music and pepsi.

We are not SELLING Apple here.

It combines a bit of rebelliousness for the kids while still making them look cute and somehow victimised for the parents.

It makes no attempt to explain what iTunes or iTMS is and doesn't drag apple into it because frankly, the vast bulk of the wider audience don't give a snot about Apple, and might even be confused or put off. (Apple, aren't they going out of business?)

But it should get a lot of pepsi sold and plenty of new non mac-users downloading iTunes for their PC and music from iTMS.

And that WILL lead to iPod sales, general flowon interest in Apple from the website and Apple benefiting all round.

A backdoor approach, like the whole giveaway campaign really.

arn
Jan 28, 2004, 07:13 PM
Alternative Link #2:

http://pepsilaw.cjb.net/

Thanks Codered.

arn

Grimace
Jan 28, 2004, 07:14 PM
god, that ad was aweful. Didn't apple get a say in it?? That girl should have been prosecuted for her acting inability...

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mhouse
It a *Pepsi* ad announcing a *Pepsi* contest. Pepsi designed the ad, paid for the free songs, and paid for the superbowl ad time. Apple is involved in one way...providing the songs and the online distribution system.

I agree totally. It would be nice for Apple to have made Pepsi do it better, but, then again, Apple's ads haven't been quite up to par lately, either — case in point: G5 ad. I think that this ad will appeal to a wide range of youth... Including those who do not like the "cool" mainstream that Apple now markets the iPod to...

My 2 copper pieces

appleguru1
Jan 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~appleguru/pepsilaw.mov

doogle
Jan 28, 2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by mvc

We are not SELLING Apple here.

It combines a bit of rebelliousness for the kids while still making them look cute and somehow victimised for the parents.

It makes no attempt to explain what iTunes or iTMS is and doesn't drag apple into it because frankly, the vast bulk of the wider audience don't give a snot about Apple, and might even be confused or put off. (Apple, aren't they going out of business?)

Hear! Hear! Analyse it from a marketing point of view people - leave your geek world for a minute and look at it again...it's not that bad...its not great either - but it works for the target audience and I would find it hard to believe that anyone on this forum is in the target audience.

noel4r
Jan 28, 2004, 07:22 PM
saw the ad, it's what i expected, an ad, nothing more, people were probably expecting another groundbreaking ad just like 20 years ago. although, they could've mentioned Apple and/or iTunes to make the promo a little clearer...

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by blumie607
http://www.apple.com/ilife/video/

Okay, so it's not a commercial, but its available on Apple's site. I'm sure they have something up their sleeves, anyways.

I absolutely hated the guy who was doing the whole interview/intro process for iLife '04 (the guy with something like 1000 tatoos and a nasty voice). What a disgusting main character. I decided not to show that video to my mom; instead, I had to intro the product myself before she agreed to buy it.

BTW: If you're having problems playing the video, just keep clicking play. It took me about two minutes, then it didn't play very well, then it took another two minutes, and it played fine. Also, the alternate links posted above help quite a bit! Thanks arn et all! :)

cubist
Jan 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
I think it's an OK commercial. It never says "Apple" anywhere. But it DOES show a Mac computer - unlike Apple's OWN ads!

What's next - HP's iPod commercial showing a screenshot of Mac OS X?:D

(edit) and BTW, the song is a lot better sounding than the stuff on the iPod commercials.

Steamboatwillie
Jan 28, 2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Messiatosh
Enjoy my spoof!

ROTFL!!!!!

Oh man <gasps for air> that was so awesome! <pats on the back, high five> but I think you shouldn't sugar coat your feelings about the RIAA, I mean really bro, learn to open up and tell us how you really feel! ;o)

Really funny, nice job!

mvc
Jan 28, 2004, 07:42 PM
Because Apple goes with Pepsi like BMW goes with Budweiser, i.e not at all.

The kids might drink the Pepsi now, but its the parents who will end up paying for the iPod later, so there is no need for Apple to dilute their brand here.

Steamboatwillie
Jan 28, 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
god, that ad was aweful. Didn't apple get a say in it?? That girl should have been prosecuted for her acting inability...

I'll second that. I can only hope they released this ad to throw us "off the scent" of the real ad which will be mind blowing. Somehow I doubt it. I can't believe the same people who designed this awesome PowerBook I am typing on could put their name on something so lame. And is it just me or did the fonts used in the ad look real cruddy too?

fpetters
Jan 28, 2004, 07:45 PM
The song is from the band "The Clash", song name is "I fought the law" ... funny how the song kind of cuts out this part on iTunes, makes me think this is the real comercial (but I think the sound feed will be better so it will be easier to understand the girl).

Hawthorne
Jan 28, 2004, 07:47 PM
The point is whether or not the ad is up to Pepsi's standards (sadly, it is), but rather, does Apple want to drag it's own branding down by being associated with a spot that's this bad?

Between the iMac spots, the G4 Tank ad, the Switch campaign and the iPod campaign, Apple has made some of the most memorable ads in recent history. And now, in the minds of consumers, they'll be associated with this giveaway and it's horrible ad as much as Pepsi is.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when the Pepsi people showed their concepts for the spot to Apple. The horrified looks on the faces on the Apple people would have been priceless ("All our years of branding. Gone."). :D

anodized
Jan 28, 2004, 07:48 PM
I think they were using the real kids who got sued .. so it's not really their fault if they're HORRIBLE actors. They wanted that 'reality show' feeling ...?

Pepsi has a few more ads up their sleeve... meybe this was a lousy one to get us all talking :rolleyes:

mustang_dvs
You know, considering what they paying to air the ad during the game, you'd think that they would have sprung for a teleprompter... But then again, the girl could barely read from the cue cards, but it'd at least seem a little less odd if she looked at the camera while reading to it.

Personally, I think the 45 sec. ad is far too disjointed and inaudible to get the relatively simple concept of buying soda and winning downloadble music.

As it is, the most memorable Superbowl commercials, with few exceptions (Apple, monster.com) use humor to grab your attention. This tries to be funny and fails miserably. And to top it off, I'm none too impressed with Green Day's cover... I guess I'll just have to look forward to the Panthers' overwhelming victory...

polyesterlester
http://www.furtherstudios.com/pepsi/

Anyone who has a web server can download the zip archive of this site too, and post it to their server. That would really help with bandwidth. I'll post any other mirrors I find.

Thanks.

miradu
Jan 28, 2004, 07:58 PM
What a terrible ad. It's like pure sucking up to the RIAA. It's like validating the fact that a huge cartel can extort individuals with our current justice system: guilty or not. How depressing is it seeing these kids? My only reaction is what a terrible ad...

beatle888
Jan 28, 2004, 07:59 PM
the ad is fine. it communicates exactly what it needs to. sure its not very gripping as far as concept, but isnt the message interesting enough? win free iTunes music if you drink pepsi. and for the rebellious youth "and theres not a thing anyone can do about it". im sure this ad will get the message across just fine. though i do agree that it isnt incredible....was it suppose to be?

and just think of how often this commercial will get air time....and every time apples "iTunes" will be mentioned.

MrMacMan
Jan 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
Horrribble.

HORRIBLE.

Apple you suck.

SUCK.

Arg... first its copyright infringment, like if I drew a picture of cartoon character if I didn't credit them, not stealing.

Horrible commerical, song OK.

This is like a commerical for people... who *know* that the RIAA has been suing people.

Its not even like GO TO iTunes.com ... or anything.

How about 'Drink a Pepsi, become a winner, go to iTunes.com for more details'

NOTHING.

BAH!

I would rather the RIAA storm my house then watch this commerical ever again.

A waste of a million dollars, like that commerical for something. 'we spent $3 million on this commerical, don't waste your money!'

:rolleyes:

BOO, article rated DOWN.

appleguru1
Jan 28, 2004, 08:05 PM
hehe... At least this isn't the final cut of the ad that we're seeing ;) This cut shows a greenscreen on the iMac's second cut.. And appe's screenshots confirm that this will be replaced w/ an iTunes screen:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/ads/04pepsi.html

Maybe they have a few more tricks up their sleeves yet ;)

idkew
Jan 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
It's barely mentioned..

this is NOT an apple promotion. this is a Pepsi promotion.

greenstork
Jan 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
This ad is just a load of propaganda. It is really the first time I've felt dirty about the relationship between Apple, Pepsi and the RIAA.

If you strip this ad down to its primary message, it's just lame:

"Don't get prosecuted for downloading music off the internet, drink Pepsi instead, win music."

Apple and Pepsi are treating teenagers like children, threatening them with discipline. But you won't get disciplined if you drink Pepsi. Man, advertising disgusts me sometimes.

It's basic fear-mongering propaganda, pandering on the part of Apple and Pepsi, although I kinda expect it from the RIAA. Very disappointing Apple, disappointing indeed.

cng3
Jan 28, 2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by fpetters
The song is from the band "The Clash", song name is "I fought the law"

Um, no. The Clash version is a cover. This song was originally done by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets in 1959. The most famous version is the one by Bobby Fuller in 1966.

Link to the song in iTMS:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?selectedItemId=4282700&amp;playListId=4282718

Frobozz
Jan 28, 2004, 08:11 PM
You sure can tell that Apple had little to do with this commercial. It's AWFUL. My god, what were they thinking?

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by appleguru1
hehe... At least this isn't the final cut of the ad that we're seeing ;) This cut shows a greenscreen on the iMac's second cut.. And appe's screenshots confirm that this will be replaced w/ an iTunes screen:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/ads/04pepsi.html

Maybe they have a few more tricks up their sleeves yet ;)

Greenscreen? Far from it (except for one part around 00:00:42). But what could you see in that small of a space anyway... definitely not a closeup of iTMS!

Here's a picture from 00:00:28; I have no idea what's on the screen in front of her, but she *is* looking at the camera for about a millisecond (bad acting aside):

requies
Jan 28, 2004, 08:18 PM
she's painful to watch.

MorganX
Jan 28, 2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by dbenesch
but a bit disappointing for a $1.4 million, Super Bowl spot. But that's me...

I thought it was a little weak also. I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the final edit.

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
This ad is just a load of propaganda. It is really the first time I've felt dirty about the relationship between Apple, Pepsi and the RIAA.

If you strip this ad down to its primary message, it's just lame:

"Don't get prosecuted for downloading music off the internet, drink Pepsi instead."

Apple and Pepsi are treating teenagers like children, threatening them with discipline. But you won't get disciplined if you drink Pepsi. Man, advertising disgusts me sometimes.

It's basic fear-mongering propaganda, pandering on the part of Apple and Pepsi, although I kinda expect it from the RIAA. Very disappointing Apple, disappointing indeed.

Remember, it is illegal to download songs for free off the Internet. I would have to say that it's immoral to (my conscience cringes at the thought of dl'ing free music). Legality aside, this commercial is not about discipline... it's about getting free music from the iTMS! I'm happy about that; I was only pessimistic yesterday when I didn't get a new G5 DP 2.6 from Apple :rolleyes:

Wonder Boy
Jan 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
i think they could have gotten a better speaker than her. you can see her look down at the cards. in her defense, the music should have been turned down a little while she talked. maybe thats why she was so hard to understand.

QCassidy352
Jan 28, 2004, 08:23 PM
I don't see what everyone is complaining about. I thought it was fine. Not mind-blowing, but fine. Certainly not the disaster that everyone is making it out to be.

As was said earlier, it's an ad for Pepsi, not Apple. It was never supposed to be the next "1984" ad. It's for Pepsi, and Apple got some free press. Stop all the complaining as if this were the end of the world, or even the end of Apple.

GovornorPhatt
Jan 28, 2004, 08:27 PM
There is an EASY anwser to the problems downloading the move. Right click on the links to the ads on the Mac Rumors homepage and select download link to disk. Then you can have a copy of the movie. Or open the movie in Safari by left clicking on the link and save the page after the movie is done loading. No Quicktime Pro required for this tip. Hope this helps someone. Using these methods I viewed the ad with no problems whatsoever.

I don't really like the ad. It would have been better if the shots of the teens were shorter and the girl (provided we decide to keep her in the ad) said her message about the ITMS giveaway more straight forwardly. Still, it's better than nothing.

Wash!!
Jan 28, 2004, 08:29 PM
it's just a commercial, all of you are just arm chair quarterbacks... sad very sad:D

appleguru1
Jan 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
Greenscreen?

You're right; I was referring to the greenscreen later on; But here's a direct comparison between apple's shot and what we got...:

"Final":
http://home.comcast.net/~piewalker/real_pepsilaw.jpg

Our Cut:
http://home.comcast.net/~piewalker/our_pepsilaw.jpg

ZildjianKX
Jan 28, 2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
I'll second that. I can only hope they released this ad to throw us "off the scent" of the real ad which will be mind blowing. Somehow I doubt it. I can't believe the same people who designed this awesome PowerBook I am typing on could put their name on something so lame. And is it just me or did the fonts used in the ad look real cruddy too?

Man, I'm hoping the same... this is one of the worst ads I've seen in a long time. I already hate the taste of Pepsi, and this ad isn't helping...

GovornorPhatt
Jan 28, 2004, 08:40 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the ad was in widescreen format. Is that standard for tv ads or is the medium moving towards a 'letter boxed' style?

Here is a better photo showing the greenscreen:

http://s92290395.onlinehome.us/josh_online/images/greenscreen.jpg

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by idkew
this is NOT an apple promotion. this is a Pepsi promotion.

But it is promotion of one of it's products and services.

bdkennedy1
Jan 28, 2004, 08:50 PM
Man Pepsi should be embarrassed. It looks like a 10 year old wrote and filmed it. Very cheap looking.

DGFan
Jan 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
What a dumb ad. They weren't "prosecuted" for starters. The girls' speech didn't flow naturally. And the Green Day cover was just *awful*

the_mole1314
Jan 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
I thought the commerical would be more like them breaking the law, only to have them just getting free songs off of iTunes, not this crap. Grr... oh well...

myndlinksw
Jan 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Remember, it is illegal to download songs for free off the Internet. I would have to say that it's immoral to (my conscience cringes at the thought of dl'ing free music). Legality aside, this commercial is not about discipline... it's about getting free music from the iTMS! I'm happy about that; I was only pessimistic yesterday when I didn't get a new G5 DP 2.6 from Apple :rolleyes:

No, it's illegal to distribute copyrighted works without permission of the author or copyright-holder. Not *all* music is governed by the RIAA. Lots of really great bands and musicians started as indie groups, and many of them realize that letting you download a song has a better chance of getting you to buy a CD than not. (http://www.cdbaby.com) Wether you're into blues or not, check out this kid on guitar- he was 11 at the time of recording. (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ericsteckel)

No one is being sued for downloading music- it would be far more difficult for the RIAA to take you to court for downloading a song. There's really no substantial evidence- fair use arguments would muddy the waters...

This is an indirect ad for iTunes. It's really about drinking Pepsi. It's a good idea, and it will introduce iTunes to a lot of people who knew nothing about it, or weren't interested in using it. Not a great commercial, but does it have to be? Everyone knows about Pepsi. Now they know Pepsi is giving away free things. Some people may try a new Pepsi product, people who like Pepsi already will likely buy more.

dashiel
Jan 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
1) as many others have pointed out, this is not an apple commercial, or an itunes commercial or an ipod commercial.

2) this was never supposed to be the second coming of the 1984 ad, despite what you may have wanted.

3) the itunes/pepsi campaign doesn't even need a commercial, it's almost like they're doing it because they feel they need to. look at the target audience though. how many of those people are going to be watching the superbowl on sunday? this campaign will be viral, "dude i got a pepsi for lunch and won a free song!" "whoa cool".

4) apple's branding/advertising. yeah they're great, but you know what not successful. it's been 8 years since steve has been back and the ads have kicked ass again, yet market share continues to decline and unit sales are relatively flat. which means that despite the talk apple is effectively treading water. the ads they make are great for existing customers, we love em, they make us feel good about our purchases, but they aren't effectively bringing in new people.

the new people they are not attracting are the joe-six packs of the country. the people who think that high quality design is somehow insulting or something to be feared (trust me i've done research). the ads to these people come across as elitist and they feel alienated.

now apple cannot under any circumstance start to produce "dell dude" type commercials, that would adversely affect their branding, but they somehow need to get the message across to middle america.

this pepsi advert is brilliant (not in it's construction, concept or execution. in that respect it is simply competent) but in the stealth marketing apple gets to do. they get a cheesy middle america commercial without damaging their brand. (don't believe me, take a look at itunes.com and compare it to the rest of the apple site... the difference there is much more subtle as it has to fit in with the rest of the apple.com site, but the differences are noticeable).

i'm really quite pleased with apple right now, they are doing pretty much everything right that they did wrong with the mac. they HP deal is massive, the pepsi deal is huge, in my mind they need two more ipod licensees to wrap up the digitial music world.

1) mtv. they've already announced they want to do a store, if apple and mtv are smart they'll do something like the HP deal, but with the ipod mini. the battle for the youth market would be over right there. created a limited edition britney (or fill in TRL artist here) ipod mini with exclusive content. game over.

2) samsung, yeah it's crazy as samsung makes the napster player, but let's face it napster is going to fail, probably later this year, middle of 2005 tops. samsung is a very bright company and they are huge in the asian and european market and gunning directly for sony's market lead. so samsung sensing the impending doom of napster looks for a winning horse and settles on ipod. steve gives samsung a sweet deal, they get to make an ipod clone, but they also get exclusive rights to do flash memory and cd based players that can play fairplay/aac to effectively wrap up market segments that i doubt apple will get in to themselves, all the while collecting license fees....

uhmmm... yeah the commericals okay

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by myndlinksw
No, it's illegal to distribute copyrighted works without permission of the author or copyright-holder.

Sorry, should've clarified what I was saying... I meant to say that it's illegal to download songs from KaZaA or other P2P networks that are copyrighted (a lot of my friends do this...). It also surprises me how fast people will just send out a copy of a CD to all their friends (like as a Christmas present) full of copyrighted music - heck, I've seen a teacher at my school burning CDs from a school event and selling them to kids for a buck!

That outrages me!

ps: no hard feelings myndlinksw or greenstork :)

ganryu
Jan 28, 2004, 09:24 PM
No, it's illegal to distribute copyrighted works without permission of the author or copyright-holder. Not *all* music is governed by the RIAA.
But for those that got sued (except for the few mistakes, which is the fault of the ISP), they were sharing the copyrighted songs they DO NOT OWN, without the owner's permission.

No one is being sued for downloading music-
That is correct, since they are being sued for sharing music.

it would be far more difficult for the RIAA to take you to court for downloading a song. There's really no substantial evidence-
Ha, what a load of nonsense. The fact that their IP addresses were tracked to share the files, along with the timestamp, is more than enough.

The reason most of the people settled with the RIAA is because of their guilty conscience, and because they really have been sharing those copyrighted music without the owner's permission.

If they went to court, the prosecutor easily could've subpoenaed the hard drive of the computer as evidence. Even if you delete the file and overwrite the sectors with random 0's and 1's hundreds of times, forensic experts could still extract what was previously there.

fair use arguments would muddy the waters...
More nonsense. Read the copyright law if you are going to throw "fair use" around. Fair use does NOT cover sharing copyrighted media you do not own on a public network.

geerlingguy
Jan 28, 2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by dashiel
2) samsung, yeah it's crazy as samsung makes the napster player, but let's face it napster is going to fail, probably later this year, middle of 2005 tops. samsung is a very bright company and they are huge in the asian and european market and gunning directly for sony's market lead. so samsung sensing the impending doom of napster looks for a winning horse and settles on ipod. steve gives samsung a sweet deal, they get to make an ipod clone, but they also get exclusive rights to do flash memory and cd based players that can play fairplay/aac to effectively wrap up market segments that i doubt apple will get in to themselves, all the while collecting license fees....

Ditto. Samsung would be a great asset! or how about Rio? They used to have a buddy buddy relationship with Apple (some of the few supported players of iTunes 1.0-2.0...). Creative hasn't really teamed up with anyone, either, but they make HD players like Apple's, so that might not be good...

Tulse
Jan 28, 2004, 09:32 PM
Man, that's a really poor ad, even disregarding the whole Apple angle. It starts off weirdly dark and downbeat, with the underlit unsmiling kids and the negative captions, and never really gets fully out of that negative vibe. None of the kids seem especially appealing, and the spokesgirl is downright bland. And the titles look like someone did them in Word (or perhaps with crayon).

Geez, you'd think a tie-in between one of the world's biggest soda makers and the world's largest digital music store would be vibrant and alive, but I've seen more energy in an Imodium ad.

I really think that focussing so much on the illegal aspect of downloaded music, especially in such a heavyhanded way, was a mistake -- it gives the ad a really weird feel. A lighter touch would have worked a lot better.

zedwards
Jan 28, 2004, 09:35 PM
Give it a rest L33t MAC users! The ad is genius, given that the majority of the ppl watching are, oh how do i say this without upsettiong people, FOOTBALL FANS! This is middle america folks not some trendy mac users they are after.

cb911
Jan 28, 2004, 09:36 PM
good to see a commercial say 'F---- RIAA'. :D

it's just a shame that it's not an Apple ad.. i got that feeling from the start... although it is sort of Apple-ish.

so now people think this isn't the final cut?... should be interesting to see what is coming... :D

pgwalsh
Jan 28, 2004, 09:39 PM
They should make an ad with that Ellen Feiss girl that everyone thought was high and got everyone so excited. That would make a popular ad.

Kanada
Jan 28, 2004, 10:02 PM
This morning on 7th ave and Spring St. just before the Holland tunnel (NYC) I saw a billboard ad for the Pepsi iTunes campaign. There was a huge picture of Seal on it.

FriarTuck
Jan 28, 2004, 10:13 PM
How is it that so many people with speech impediments make it onto TV?

I don't encounter that many in real life, but on TV... they're everywhere.

It's perverse.

the_mole1314
Jan 28, 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dashiel
4) apple's branding/advertising. yeah they're great, but you know what not successful. it's been 8 years since steve has been back and the ads have kicked ass again, yet market share continues to decline and unit sales are relatively flat. which means that despite the talk apple is effectively treading water.

As said before, market share and unit sales mean nothing in comparison to per unit capita, and Apple is the leader. Dell would have to sell more units to recoop as much as Apple does with one sale. As for flat sales, ever heard of the thing called the iPod? You know, that little white thing that you couldn't find this past Christmas? The one that is nearly $50 profit per unit? If you think unit sales are down, you need a reality check.

I'd hardly call Apple treading water. Gateway, now, they are treading water.

Messiatosh
Jan 28, 2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by the_mole1314
As said before, market share and unit sales mean nothing in comparison to per unit capita, and Apple is the leader. Dell would have to sell more units to recoop as much as Apple does with one sale. As for flat sales, ever heard of the thing called the iPod? You know, that little white thing that you couldn't find this past Christmas? The one that is nearly $50 profit per unit? If you think unit sales are down, you need a reality check.

Tremendous post, I agree wholeheartedly.

Skull Leader
Jan 28, 2004, 10:34 PM
Here in Canada we don't get the American commercials that are so raved about...I can now see that we aren't missing anything 'spectacular'. I'm sure that spokesgirl was selected for her breast implants rather than her acting ability...what a brainless primate commercial.

Well, while I'm here....GO PATS!

adamberti
Jan 28, 2004, 10:41 PM
To quote my Marketing prof..."If this ad appealed to you no way whatsoever, then excellent! This ad did it's job."

Us rumour-mongors on MacForums are not the Target Market this ad is after. 33% of us are not going to watch at all, 11% maybe a bit, and a whopping 22% just for the 'Apple' ad. That says it all right there. It's not meant for us.

You can hate this ad, just as I do, but as others have said, this is for people who don't know about iTunes already, and it's Pepsi's ad, not Apples.

So I don't think Apple will end up being laughed at for this, maybe on a few online forums, but I think the millions of people that will go online and download iTunes and try it out will make up for it.

Messiatosh
Jan 28, 2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Skull Leader
Here in Canada we don't get the American commercials that are so raved about...I can now see that we aren't missing anything 'spectacular'. I'm sure that spokesgirl was selected for her breast implants rather than her acting ability...what a brainless primate commercial.

Yea, haha she is kinda cute.

adamberti
Jan 28, 2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Skull Leader

Yeah I always felt ripped off. Now my friends and I get together at whosever house has the biggest TV and get the PayPerView American Version. A couple bucks each more than makes up for some great commercials. And who cares about a couple bucks when you got beer and snacks!!

eddyg
Jan 28, 2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by zedwards
Give it a rest L33t MAC users!

I'm sorry, you appear to have made a typo with the word "L33t", obviously the number 3 isn't supposed to be there. Normally I wouldn't bother replying, but in this case that is the most important word in your statement, which I'd like to understand.

I thought maybe it was a use of that new weird pseudo language where letters are replaced by numbers, sort of an extension of that good old American favourite of shortening words by removing "redundant" letters, e.g. colour -> color. However "L33t" didn't make any sense even then. And given that I spent minutes trying to understand what this word meant, it obviously wasn't an abbreviation.

Could you let us know what the word is that you meant to say when you said "L33t".

Cheers,

Edward.

the_mole1314
Jan 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by eddyg
I'm sorry, you appear to have made a typo with the word "L33t", obviously the number 3 isn't supposed to be there. Normally I wouldn't bother replying, but in this case that is the most important word in your statement, which I'd like to understand.

I thought maybe it was a use of that new weird pseudo language where letters are replaced by numbers, sort of an extension of that good old American favourite of shortening words by removing "redundant" letters, e.g. colour -> color. However "L33t" didn't make any sense even then. And given that I spent minutes trying to understand what this word meant, it obviously wasn't an abbreviation.

Could you let us know what the word is that you meant to say when you said "L33t".

Cheers,

Edward.

L33t -> Leet (3 represent 'e's, kinda look like 'e's, you see?) -> Elite

Basically, it's something called leet speak, where back in the day hackers replaced letter with different symbol, number, and other characters. Like e would be 3, A would be 4 (looks like an A, kinda), and so forth, and so on. Don't worry, it's only used by n00bs, er... newbies..... ;)

bored
Jan 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
Anyone notice she's running Jaguar, not Panther? Compare what's in her Dock:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/ads/04pepsi.html (click the 3rd image to download an enlargement)

Compare to this (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Apple_Mac_OS_X_10_2_Jaguar/4505-3513_16-20284873-3.html?tag=review)

The giveaway is she's got IE and Sherlock, but no Safari. Survey says: DOCTORED PHOTO!

eddyg
Jan 28, 2004, 11:08 PM
Basically, it's something called leet speak, where back in the day hackers replaced letter with different symbol, number, and other characters. Like e would be 3, A would be 4 (looks like an A, kinda), and so forth, and so on. Don't worry, it's only used by n00bs, er... newbies..... ;) [/B]

Thanks that clears it up a bit, although I prefer to interpret n00bs the way that I first read it which was as the word "knobs" :)

I can understand the abbreviation of words (ala elite -> leet, and noobs -> newbies, even adults do this) but I don't understand why this kids want to substitute numbers for letters, each to their own I guess, they'll probably change to real letters and words when they grow up a bit more ;)

Cheers,

Edward.

Awimoway
Jan 28, 2004, 11:11 PM
I did not hate it.

Chill out, people. :rolleyes:

neilw
Jan 28, 2004, 11:16 PM
Those attacking those attacking the commercial are missing the point. It's not that it's a bad *Apple* commercial,
it's that it's a bad *Pepsi* commercial.

I've not been a fan of Pepsi's recent advertising in general, but they usually come up with something interesting for the SuperBowl. This ain't it.

Of course, not all SuperBowl commercials are always great. But this one really lacks punch. It will be invisible among the other, more showy ads during the game.

Pretty disappointing, but not a big deal. If Apple's name *were* on the ad, then I'd be more worried.

nagromme
Jan 28, 2004, 11:21 PM
BTW, this ad alone does not make or break the whole promotion. It's just one ad, and at worst, Pepsi--not Apple--paid too much for too little benefit!

I see nothing wrong with the ad.

Except for being an ad.

I hate ads.

varmit
Jan 28, 2004, 11:29 PM
http://ducktapeandglue.no-ip.org/law.html

After watching it a couple of times, its comes off pretty good. Another link for those that want to stream.

Messiatosh
Jan 28, 2004, 11:30 PM
Well Apple should at least dial down the www.apple.com Pepsi banner it has plastered across the page, it looks tacky. :p

Omad0n
Jan 28, 2004, 11:32 PM
I don't know why anyone would look at it early and ruin the suprise. I for one am waiting.

dashiel
Jan 28, 2004, 11:50 PM

i really don't understand why internet users can't show common courtesy when posting to message boards, there was no need for sarcasm.

first let me say this isn't meant to be an attack on apple, i think they're doing a great job and i don't care if they make a $1 net profit per year, as long as i can keep buying apple machines.

to address your points though

i was speaking about CPU unit sales, i should have made that more clear. if you look at CPU unit sales, they are clearly flat year over year. yes, there are fluctuations both ways, but essentially apple shipped the same number of units this quarter as they did a couple of years ago.

as to profit per unit, obviously apple makes a significantly larger profit on their CPU sales than dell (keep in mind though that dell's 3rd quarter earnings were 10.6 billion dollars though, so per unit profit or no, dell's making a hell of a lot more than apple), that does not change the fact that apple has failed to measurably increase their market share for one reason or another. you can't for a single second tell me that everyone at apple would kill for more market share. at a very simple level it comes down to, double your unit shipments and double your profit. in fact double your shipments and increase profits by 250%, buying bigger lots of materials gets you a bigger discount, or pass along the savings to your customers and potentially attract new customers, double your market share again and repeat the whole cycle.

little of this has to do with my point though, what i was arguing was that apple has failed to connect with middle america. subsequently they have failed to attract significant numbers of new users to the platform. with the ipod they have the chance to remedy that mistake and by all outward appearances are managing to do so quite well. perhaps most brilliantly they are doing so without affecting their core brand by using other companies to market their wares (e.g. pepsi and hp). if apple can maintain that momentum and sign up a few new partners the i believe they will be the microsoft of digital music no later than the end of 2005.

sinclairZX81
Jan 29, 2004, 12:10 AM
oh god. the PC users were right. Mac users really are sad. :(

Doctor Q
Jan 29, 2004, 12:23 AM
Haven't I seen that girl somewhere before?

greenstork
Jan 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Sorry, should've clarified what I was saying... I meant to say that it's illegal to download songs from KaZaA or other P2P networks that are copyrighted (a lot of my friends do this...). It also surprises me how fast people will just send out a copy of a CD to all their friends (like as a Christmas present) full of copyrighted music - heck, I've seen a teacher at my school burning CDs from a school event and selling them to kids for a buck!

That outrages me!

ps: no hard feelings myndlinksw or greenstork :)

No hard feeling, no worries. I'm not saying it should be okay to download copyrighted music, I just don't like the fear-mongering advertising.

You should know that although it is illegal to copy and distribute a CD to others, it *is* legal for a friend to borrow a CD, and rip it.

ecche
Jan 29, 2004, 01:01 AM
i thought the ad was rather ok.

remember, this is for a mass audience - not just geeks.

i just hope they paid those teens some decent money for this - they surely can use it.

i am only a bit worried about the nutrition habits in the usa. 1000000000000000 calories?

simX
Jan 29, 2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by bored
Anyone notice she's running Jaguar, not Panther? Compare what's in her Dock:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/ads/04pepsi.html (click the 3rd image to download an enlargement)

Compare to this (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Apple_Mac_OS_X_10_2_Jaguar/4505-3513_16-20284873-3.html?tag=review)

The giveaway is she's got IE and Sherlock, but no Safari. Survey says: DOCTORED PHOTO!

Ummm... yeah. Take a look at this picture (http://homepage.mac.com/simx/.Pictures/youre-wrong.png) and ignore everything but the Dock. Now tell me what operating system I'm running.

Survey says: Bzzzzzzzt! It's Panther! :rolleyes:

ariza910
Jan 29, 2004, 01:37 AM
This pepsi/iTunes ad is so incredibly lame.......what a disappointment

I dont care what anyone says about it reaching this market or that market, its just a stupid commercial, I dont see anyone caring about it.

The message doesnt even make sense !

the kids in the commercial are dorks not rebels, and now they are drinking tons of pepsi to get free music? like they are hell bent on only getting their music for free!who would want to associate themselves with this image?

mproud
Jan 29, 2004, 01:43 AM
If it's so bad, then don't watch it.

Don't.

Keep your television off.

...Not turning it off, huh?

That's right...

You know you're going to watch it anyway...

splashman
Jan 29, 2004, 01:57 AM
I don't think this ad is lame -- I think all the whining on this thread is a result of two things:

(1) Generally, one expects Super Bowl ads to be pretty spectacular. After all, Pepsi is paying through the nose for the air-time, so you'd think they'd spend a few more bucks and add a little flash to it. The ad isn't lame -- just nothing special.

(2) This is another example of people building up their expectations and then blaming everybody but themselves when their expectations aren't met. Between this and the 20th Anniversary non-event, I've never heard so much whining.

Bottom line: who cares if the ad won't win an award? It's not like this is Pepsi's entire marketing effort. My goodness -- a lot of you whiners act as if your day (or week or month) has been ruined. And to you I say "Get a life!"

jwhitnah
Jan 29, 2004, 02:09 AM
The ad is fine even if it is MOTR. Great ads do not make or break a company. Show me 1 good Toyota ad-- they must be close to the #1 car manufacturer in the world. Their ads have mass appeal. Many kids and 20-30 year olds do not know Apple is still around or have never heard of an iPod. Hard to beleive but true: I was just talking to a cousin at Cal who had never HEARD of iTMS or the iPod! I hope this approach works for Apple.

Belly-laughs
Jan 29, 2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by simX
Ummm... yeah. Take a look at this picture (http://homepage.mac.com/simx/.Pictures/youre-wrong.png) and ignore everything but the Dock. Now tell me what operating system I'm running.

Survey says: Bzzzzzzzt! It's Panther! :rolleyes:

Now, would you care to publish that toilet movie of yours?

Or is it the Pepsi ad?

Isbiten
Jan 29, 2004, 03:02 AM
I fought the corporate America, and the corporate America bought the law.

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 03:16 AM
its just an add chill it wasnt great it wasnt the end of the world, besides apple isnt even named in it, plus pepsi alredy bought the songs so now harm

simX
Jan 29, 2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Belly-laughs
Now, would you care to publish that toilet movie of yours?

Or is it the Pepsi ad?

Sorry, no can do. It's a preview of Star Wars Episode III. :rolleyes:

winmacguy
Jan 29, 2004, 03:45 AM
Well I down loaded the ad today at school and watched it 3-4 times just for good measure. Personally I think the ad is spot on! It is aimed at the 12-16 year old generation who like to drink sugar water and who like to download music off the web. They were after all the ones who got busted.

It is a Pepsi ad which is designed to promote Pepsi and down loading songs legally off the internet to an up and coming generation of computer users. Roll on the Super Bowl (even though I wont be watching it.)

dekator
Jan 29, 2004, 04:58 AM
I think what that tells us is that it still pays to break the law.

(Not being American, so seeing the line for the first time I found it really amusing: "It's the cola". 'Cola' = 'prick' in Spanish :)

grouse
Jan 29, 2004, 04:59 AM
at the end of the commerical,

this happens...

(apologies to arn, I'm not multiple posting, just wanted to get it seen on both threads, forgive)

:cool:

Llywelyn
Jan 29, 2004, 05:01 AM
Geeze people, what the fsck is wrong with you? Let's clarify a few things.

0) The target audience for this commercial is not you. Seriously. This looks like it is meant for a younger audience.

1) As has been mentioned: THIS IS NOT AN APPLE AD, NOR IS IT AN ADD FOR AN APPLE SERVICE.

This is an add for Pepsi and Pepsi only. iTunes is only even mentioned because it's the mechanism Pepsi is using. Pepsi doesn't care that you can download more songs there, they don't particularly care that Apple runs it, they care that people purchase pepsi.

2) The young woman is not an actress, she is someone who was sued and likely settled with the RIAA. She sounded like what she is.

3) If you think this is the worst add you've seen in awhile you must either not watch television much anymore or just erase the huge advertising blocks from your memory.

In short:

This ad is not ground breaking, it is not 1984 or Think Different, it is not an Apple ad, it is not aimed at you as a target audience.

It is a decent ad, it gets the message across in a kind-of cute and clever way, it is much better than anything I've seen Pepsi do in a long time, and it will probably appeal to its target audience.

The vitriol many of you people are showing is completely unjustified.

One final thought:

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=9

grouse
Jan 29, 2004, 05:20 AM
with you Llywelyn.

Think differently and positively.

Apple haven't had to spend any money on booking the commercial (probably cost squillions), making the commercial or even promoting the slot (they've put up a graphic or two on their website).

The web address is enough.

People out of curiousity will log on. People will buy the coloured sugar water and discover, rediscover, whatever, Apple.

Same with the HP deal.

If this drives iPod sales, and iTunes awareness and sales, then more and more people will have apple software on their PCs, will maybe consider buying an Apple computer and even if they don't, the revenue from the iPods will help to earn Apple more good money for pouring into developing our machines and software.

And given that Apple's own advertising has been a little mixed to say the least in the last few years, this advert may well capture the zeitgeist, without remotely tarnishing the hard won "cool" factor of iPod and iTunes.

PS being from across the pond, a Super Bowl is what exactly? A beautiful ceramic piece for exotic fruit? A fast, swinging ball in cricket? A china dish for consomé? In fact I thought people bowled in baseball, not american football.

hmmmm.

Mr Clicky
Jan 29, 2004, 06:06 AM
So what's the Superbowl?

savar
Jan 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
This commercial isn't terrible!! The people in this forum are just snobs! As if any one of the geeks who hangs out here could hop in front of a camera all of a sudden and be Bogart.

"Marbles in her mouth"!?! That poor girl has a slight accent, and is probably a bit shy since she's gone from being nobody to being vaulted into the brightest spotlight in the world: the super bowl.

Some of you people don't even know who's playing in the super bowl, so just accept the fact that this ad is most definitely not targeted at you.

When Arn posts a story about new G5's next week, then everybody can throw their opinion into the hat. Until then, shut up! :D

macmax
Jan 29, 2004, 07:38 AM
they should've gotten a real rock band.

spinko
Jan 29, 2004, 09:06 AM
pathetic !

It makes me feel quite sick to see how big corporations use these kids for their own profit ... Just pathetic how the producers made them hold these little bottles of Pepsi. What an image of youth..

Drink water !

:confused:

PS.: the current apple.com entry page is enough to make me p**e.. thousands of brown plastic sugar water bottles with blue an white labels...

Llywelyn
Jan 29, 2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by spinko
pathetic !

It makes me feel quite sick to see how big corporations use these kids for their own profit ... Just pathetic how the producers made them hold these little bottles of Pepsi. What an image of our youth..

Drink water !

:confused:

I do hope you are joking.

Its not like the kids aren't being paid or there is someone in the background with a cat-o-nine-tails in case they don't fall in line.

iomar
Jan 29, 2004, 09:15 AM
Wow, I can't beleive that so many in this site didn't like the commercial. I do agaree that big corporations should not use kids for their advertising but at the same time it is an effective ad for Apple.

spinko
Jan 29, 2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Llywelyn
I do hope you are joking.

Its not like the kids aren't being paid or there is someone in the background with a cat-o-nine-tails in case they don't fall in line.

Does paying them justify that ? What next ? Ask some people of the same age group if they identify themselves with the image given by the ad... if they do, I take back what I said..

BTW what is a cat-o-nine-tails ?
:)

Daschund
Jan 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by woolf
wow that was horrible, apple is going to be laughed at for the week. (maybe month?)

i was hoping for like a big apple symbol and maybe a screen shot in the commercial. oh well. at least the bottles are decent.

Why in the world will Apple be laughed at for a month if this is a PEPSI COMMERCIAL?????? PEPSI paid it, PEPSI paid for the airing time, PEPSI is the product!

Now, if one day APPLE does a commercial that's lame, than people might laugh at Apple for a week, or a month...

Daschund

Aeolius
Jan 29, 2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Daschund
Why in the world will Apple be laughed at for a month if this is a PEPSI COMMERCIAL?????? PEPSI paid it, PEPSI paid for the airing time, PEPSI is the product!

Agreed. I only hope that when USA Today publishes the 10 best and 10 worst Super Bowl ads, it's listed as "Pepsi - "I Fought the Law" and not "Pepsi/Apple - "I Fought the Law".

Solver
Jan 29, 2004, 09:50 AM
Just a thought,

The Ad I have in Quicktime is only 47 seconds long. That leaves up to 13 more seconds that we have not seen yet.

Solver :rolleyes:

zedwards
Jan 29, 2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by GovornorPhatt
Has anyone else noticed that the ad was in widescreen format. Is that standard for tv ads or is the medium moving towards a 'letter boxed' style?

What planet have you been living on? Most real commercials are widescreen. :rolleyes:

TrenchMouth
Jan 29, 2004, 09:59 AM
i agree with those that dont understand where all this animosity is coming from. its a soda ad, and one that gets the iTunes name out there. its for people who arren't total dorks yet, that like Pepsi (and god forbid anyone like a soda product omg itz teh unh34lthy lolz).

I think it does what it set out to do, show that pepsi has a new 'look under the bottle cap' game, and it just happens to be related to an Apple service. You dont think that if MS had the best music service that they wouldnt work with them now do you? So its not about Apple at all, you dont have to worry about your wintel friends making fun of you because your fav thing in the whole world was poorly represented in a superbowl ad.

besides there will be so many high budget ads that the most people will do is forget about this one, that or they will jump on the internet and check out itunes, or better yet (if your the guy that paid for the ad) they will buy a pepsi product.

So stop all the bitching, its about the game anyway, not the ads. Go Pats!!!

bensisko
Jan 29, 2004, 10:56 AM
For those who are saying that this is not an ad for Apple, you're wrong, it IS an ad for Apple. This is not the sell-Pepsi ad, this is the buy-pepsi-and-get-free-iTunes commercial, which makes this an ad for Apple by default.

If you want to see a GOOD example of a cross-promotional ad, go look at the BMW-iPod ad. THAT was a good ad! This one barely tells you what they are advertising (except Pepsi, and as I said, this is the iTunes promotion commercial).

Since the purpose of this commercial (in theory) is to promote the iTunes promotion, it DOES reflect on Apple, like it or not.

JDOG_
Jan 29, 2004, 11:17 AM
Um,
Whoever enjoys this ad deserves to fill themselves full of brown sugar water and enjoy movies like "Godzilla"

Seriously though, as somebody who this ad is aimed at (12-24) it makes me sick to see all the people in the ad sell-out like that. I also can't believe it's being touted as "groundbreaking" what would be groundbreaking is if they spent that $1,000,000 on public services or something valuable to those who need it as opposed to exploiting kids and paying them to hold a glistening 20 oz. bottle of pepsi with a sly smirk---give me a break.

At least we can count on the beer ads to be funny...this one is just kind of pathetic in it's attempt to be cutting-edge while missing the mark sorely.

ariza910
Jan 29, 2004, 11:19 AM

It is a decent ad, it gets the message across in a kind-of cute and clever way, it is much better than anything I've seen Pepsi do in a long time, and it will probably appeal to its target audience.

What message is that? the message makes no sense. its basicly saying that these kids are some sort of rebles and the law has come down on them but they will do all they can to get free music so the answer is to buy tons of pepsi to get the free music, thats stupid.

And who is the target audience, some one said 12-15 year olds, I didnt realize that there were that many 12-15 year olds watching the Superbowl.

My bet would have been to go after the elusive 18-25 year olds. This is your biggest audeince for the superbowl and the hardest to reach with advertising.

GovornorPhatt
Jan 29, 2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bensisko If you want to see a GOOD example of a cross-promotional ad, go look at the BMW-iPod ad. THAT was a good ad! This one barely tells you what they are advertising (except Pepsi, and as I said, this is the iTunes promotion commercial).

I belive you are refering to the Apple/VW Beetle promotion, where if you bought a new VW Beetle, you got a iPod free.

The official Apple promotion page (http://www.apple.com/ipod/vw/)

Watch the ad (http://www.apple.com/ipod/vw/video/)

wdlove
Jan 29, 2004, 11:25 AM
I was able to view the commercial via QuickTime without any difficulty. Like the music, "If The Law Would." It's surprising that the video wasn't crisper.

Wash!!
Jan 29, 2004, 11:26 AM
Need to get a life and really soon :rolleyes: get over it

Llywelyn
Jan 29, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ariza910
What message is that? the message makes no sense. its basicly saying that these kids are some sort of rebles and the law has come down on them but they will do all they can to get free music so the answer is to buy tons of pepsi to get the free music, thats stupid.

The message: Pepsi is giving away free music legally.

End of statement.

There is no deeper philosophical meaning, this isn't a Think Different or 1984 style commercial, nothing. It is meant to sell Pepsi products.

For those who are saying that this is not an ad for Apple, you're wrong, it IS an ad for Apple. This is not the sell-Pepsi ad, this is the buy-pepsi-and-get-free-iTunes commercial, which makes this an ad for Apple by default.

...and dodge commercials are meant to sell gasoline. :rolleyes:

geerlingguy
Jan 29, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by greenstork
You should know that although it is illegal to copy and distribute a CD to others, it *is* legal for a friend to borrow a CD, and rip it.

Yes, but if that friend has it, you are not allowed to possess the songs anymore... If you didn't copy the songs to your computer, that this is okay; the friend, in effect, "owns" the CD. But, if you still are listening to the songs on your computer (or iPod, or whatever else), while your friend has them and rips them on his/her computer, then that's illegal. Also, if your friend has ripped the songs, then hands you back the CD, that's illegal.

It's called copying. Or, the RIAA would say "stealing". (but I like copying). :rolleyes:

ariza910
Jan 29, 2004, 11:53 AM
The message: Pepsi is giving away free music legally.

End of statement.

There is no deeper philosophical meaning, this isn't a Think Different or 1984 style commercial, nothing. It is meant to sell Pepsi products.

Who said there was a deep philosophical meaning? I'm talking about the main message of the commercial!

no one expects it to be a 1984 ad. I wouldnt even expect a pepsi ad to be anything like the 1984 ad.

What bothers me is that what is being said in the commercial doesnt make sense. Why are these kids so determined to get their music for free? And how is using a P2P like kazza "fighting the law" ....stupid.

one last thing, the kids in the commercial are a bunch of dorks. people dont want to associate themselves with these kids, especially since they where stupid enough to get caught, I would much rather see celebrities and music artist promoting iTunes/iPod and drinking Pepsi.

stop fooling yourselves, this ad is a failure.

Doctor Q
Jan 29, 2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by spinko
BTW what is a cat-o-nine-tails ?A nine-branch whip. The "o" is short for "of".

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/kat9.gif

skytown205
Jan 29, 2004, 12:01 PM
I don't understand the bile being spewed on this forum over this. It's just a commercial, and it's fine. The kids aren't professional actors, they are just regular people. And being rough around the edges lends them a legitimate air, I think, of just being regular people. That's what it's about. As if everyone who's launched a criticism here would be better.

Not all commercials aspire to art; the fact that Apple commercials are made to a higher standard underscores the fact that they are after a certain market. I suspect there's a demographic that regularly goes out and buys Pepsi in 16 oz. bottles to a greater extent than any others, and they have targeted that demographic.

But, seriously. Go criticize the acting ability of J.Lo or Ben Affleck, but not of some teenage kids in various stages of adolescence, some with braces, others with their braces just off, no doubt. They've been through enough already, getting sued by the RIAA.

geerlingguy
Jan 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Wash!!
Need to get a life and really soon :rolleyes: get over it

Yes, we know, we're just too stupid to not waste our time here. Or, we have a one-and-one-half-hour-long study hall with nothing better (besides homework - which is boring) to do.

:p

El Tritoma
Jan 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
I think this ad will be at the bottom of the ratings after the Super Bowl, but on the other hand it is way, way better than the MS ads I see on TV. Those things are embarrassingly bad.:)

bensisko
Jan 29, 2004, 12:45 PM

And do dodge commercials put forth a gasoline logo, or even mentions any spicific product? NO! This commercials is actually (trying) to promote iTunes (and you can't get more spicific than a pepsi-filled apple logo..

So you're comparison doesn't really work. Nice Try.

Doctor Q
Jan 29, 2004, 12:49 PM
Pepsi could have saved some money by making a much more outrageous ad. The city of Las Vegas, MoveOn.org (a political organization), and PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) all had ads rejected by CBS this year, and they are milking their rejections for all the publicity they can get.

Let's see, what would a more outrageous Pepsi ad be? I guess they could show the music downloaders being dragged from their homes screaming, having their homes ransacked by jack-booted thugs from the RIAA, and then the kids being abused by burly prison guards and other prisoners. And then vowing to keep downloading music with their Pepsi iTunes wins. Then Pepsi could save the millions it costs to show the ad, and instead post it on the Internet and issue press releases about being rejected!

PETA rejected ad (http://www.peta.org/feat/superbowl/)
MoveOn rejected ad (http://www.moveon.org/cbs/ad/)

I couldn't find the Las Vegas ad online.

savar
Jan 29, 2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by bensisko
If you want to see a GOOD example of a cross-promotional ad, go look at the BMW-iPod ad. THAT was a good ad! This one barely tells you what they are advertising (except Pepsi, and as I said, this is the iTunes promotion commercial).

Yeah, it was so good that you forgot it was actually a VW/iPod cross-promotion. Great ad campaign, huh?

ckelley
Jan 29, 2004, 07:17 PM
I know alot of kids my age (16-18) were told by their parents to NOT download music off the internet because of all those lawsuits and such that were "popularized" through nightly news reports.

Me included. Of course, I fought it with my parents and yeah, I kept on downloading. Although, mine have been more of the iTunes nature... I load up the Shopping Cart and buy every few weeks.

Now, my parents love iTunes Music Store and so do my sisters, it's legal, guaranteed to be of a reasonably good quality, and they don't have to use P2P software with all that spyware and such (you can't believe how much they get even though I constantly clean it). The one thing that's keeping them from it is that it costs them money, something that my parents can't just dish out whenever they want to download a song.

This also goes with a lot of my friends. They think buying music is idiotic... they've laughed at me since April because I bought music off the iTMS. A lot of my friends are Pepsi drinkers and I think this will swing them to download iTunes and download tracks, which is exactly the point, buy a Pepsi and get a free LEGAL song.

Now, my sisters buy Pepsi products, my parents buy Pepsi products, and I definitely buy Pepsi products... we all love Pepsi. I guess that works in our advantage.

This ad will do good for those who aren't technology geeks and who do like music and don't want to use illegal (in the minds of many, maybe not everyone here, but the uninformed of course) methods.

appleguru1
Jan 29, 2004, 07:33 PM
For those from across the pond:

Superbowl == Culminating game of the American Football Season. Football being the sport where you throw that oval shaped leather ball to people who run down a field and try to get into the "Endzone" (A ~= 9m section at each end of the field; like a big goal) for a touchdown. The defense trys to prevent this from happening. Think of the Superbowl as the "World Cup" of American Football (The game where feet are not actually used that much except for running, and kicking Extra Pionts ("Point After" you score a Touchdown; kicked through the "Uprights"; Basically two poles in the air marking a zone to kick into; like a "floating goal"), field goals (Kicking the ball through the uprights for 3 points), and kick-offs (What you do after a touchdown to give the ball to the other team), and punts (Sort of like a punt in soccer, but gives the ball to the other team).

The Superbowl is a huge source of entertainment for Americans; and you don't "bowl" like you would in cricket or bowling.. .It's just the name for a meeting of two teams....

Go Pats!

ariza910
Jan 29, 2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
I know alot of kids my age (16-18) were told by their parents to NOT download music off the internet because of all those lawsuits and such that were "popularized" through nightly news reports.

Me included. Of course, I fought it with my parents and yeah, I kept on downloading. Although, mine have been more of the iTunes nature... I load up the Shopping Cart and buy every few weeks.

Now, my parents love iTunes Music Store and so do my sisters, it's legal, guaranteed to be of a reasonably good quality, and they don't have to use P2P software with all that spyware and such (you can't believe how much they get even though I constantly clean it). The one thing that's keeping them from it is that it costs them money, something that my parents can't just dish out whenever they want to download a song.

This also goes with a lot of my friends. They think buying music is idiotic... they've laughed at me since April because I bought music off the iTMS. A lot of my friends are Pepsi drinkers and I think this will swing them to download iTunes and download tracks, which is exactly the point, buy a Pepsi and get a free LEGAL song.

Now, my sisters buy Pepsi products, my parents buy Pepsi products, and I definitely buy Pepsi products... we all love Pepsi. I guess that works in our advantage.

This ad will do good for those who aren't technology geeks and who do like music and don't want to use illegal (in the minds of many, maybe not everyone here, but the uninformed of course) methods.

wow, this sounds to good to be true, are you sure your not 35 and have a PR position at Pepsi or Apple...lol/

Ok, the 100million songs for free is awsome. no one is debating that.

What everyone is upset with is the awful commercial Pepsi came up with to launch the give away.

the 100million iTune give away is such a big promotion for pepsi/apple that its a disapointment when the commercial annonucing it to millions of people ends up sucking so hard.

ckelley
Jan 29, 2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ariza910
wow, this sounds to good to be true, are you sure your not 35 and have a PR position at Pepsi or Apple...lol/

Ok, the 100million songs for free is awsome. no one is debating that.

What everyone is upset with is the awful commercial Pepsi came up with to launch the give away.

the 100million iTune give away is such a big promotion for pepsi/apple that its a disapointment when the commercial annonucing it to millions of people ends up sucking so hard.
Haha, yep... 16 years old... 17 in just a few days..

I don't think the commercial is too bad. A lot of my friends will be watching it and they'll see it and since they all drink Pepsi, it's an advantage. I honestly think they'll get more involved when they see the bottles instead of the commercials.

ariza910
Jan 29, 2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
Haha, yep... 16 years old... 17 in just a few days..

I don't think the commercial is too bad. A lot of my friends will be watching it and they'll see it and since they all drink Pepsi, it's an advantage. I honestly think they'll get more involved when they see the bottles instead of the commercials.

sure the commercial is average, I just cant belive its a superbowl add.

I agree the bottles will sell the promotion on their own.

polyesterlester
Jan 29, 2004, 11:34 PM
If you'd like to see all five of the Pepsi ads that Pepsi's airing during the Super Bowl (XXXVIII), check out http://www.furtherstudios.com/pepsi/

Featuring: I Fought The Law, Crossroads (w/ young Jimi Hendrix), Diner, Bagpipes, and Fire Escape.

five04
Jan 30, 2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JDOG_
Seriously though, as somebody who this ad is aimed at (12-24) it makes me sick to see all the people in the ad sell-out like that.

sell out? come on now, you know if pepsi wanted to pay you to be in a commercial promoted itunes you'd be all over it.

i think this ad is fine. it does what it's supposed to. how many advertising execs are here? you guys talk but i doubt you could actually make a commercial half this good. the girl is a bad choice, i agree with that. they should've chosen someone with less of a new york accent, but hey, she's real and real people have accents.

now if you want to talk about something looking bad, apple.com looks horrible with all those pepsi bottles across it.

oh and one more thing, all those people who were sued were most likely using kazaa. and last time i checked, there was no kazaa for mac. just something to think about.

idkew
Jan 30, 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by five04
oh and one more thing, all those people who were sued were most likely using kazaa. and last time i checked, there was no kazaa for mac. just something to think about.

look again.

Mac Dummy
Jan 30, 2004, 04:43 PM
Its too bad, you can't download and save the clip. I like to do things like that for my own enjoyment, of course. :D

appleguru1
Jan 31, 2004, 04:09 PM
Its too bad, you can't download and save the clip. I like to do things like that for my own enjoyment, of course.

Sure you can.. Just use a link other than the main one, which is a stream (For example, my mirror you can d/l fine... http://home.comcast.net/appleguru/pepsilaw.mov)

wdlove
Jan 31, 2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by appleguru1
Sure you can.. Just use a link other than the main one, which is a stream (For example, my mirror you can d/l fine... http://home.comcast.net/appleguru/pepsilaw.mov)

Page URL Not Found!!

The requested page does not exist on this server. The URL you typed or followed is either outdated or inaccurate.

dontmakemehurtu
Jan 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
:(

anodized
Jan 31, 2004, 11:27 PM
I know that AOL is having the Best SuperBowl commercials of all time -- 1984 among them. You vote after the game ...

http://www.aol.com/superbowl/ads_greatest1.adp

You can see the original ad, no iPod this time :p

ethernet76
Feb 1, 2004, 12:41 AM
Anyone notice the apple version is slightly different than the one on that website?

dontmakemehurtu
Feb 1, 2004, 04:11 AM
:(