Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbcollins93

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Now i know all of these rumors about macbooks are just speculation, but why would the new macbooks have a new NVIDIA GeForce 9300 and 9400 series when the largest current macbook pro only has a 8600. Now i don't know much about the hardware of computers (I just know software and how to make computers run to their fullest extent.), but common sense says that 9300 is bigger than 8600. so maybe i am not understanding right. maybe these rumored 9300 graphics cards are like "not pro" or something. But if they are bigger than the new graphics cards on the macbook pros will be even bigger, won't they. Because if they aren't then the macbook pros are not so pro any more.

So tell me what y'all think.

Also would crysis be able to run on a GeForce 9300 and 9400 series or even a program like Final Cut.

Thanks a lot.
cheers

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Well to begin, the event will be for both the Macbook and Macbook Pro and the Pro will likely be update to a 9650. Now, the just because the 9300 is a bigger number than 8600 does not mean it is better. It just means it is newer. The 9300 series that Macbook would use are integrated graphics, while the 8600 is a dedicated chip, and so therefore it would be faster even though it is older.

mbcollins93

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Well to begin, the event will be for both the Macbook and Macbook Pro and the Pro will likely be update to a 9650. Now, the just because the 9300 is a bigger number than 8600 does not mean it is better. It just means it is newer. The 9300 series that Macbook would use are integrated graphics, while the 8600 is a dedicated chip, and so therefore it would be faster even though it is older.
ok i see.
so it is not like a 1500 chevorlet pickup vs. a 3500 chevorlet pickup

even though it is a integrated do you know if it could run crysis possibly?

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
ok i see.
so it is not like a 1500 chevorlet pickup vs. a 3500 chevorlet pickup

even though it is a integrated do you know if it could run crysis possibly?

Well I'm sure it could, I just don't know if it could do it well. Maybe if you turn all detail settings to low and use a smallish resolution it would be playable, but I personally don't have enough experience with either Crysis or these cards to know. As a base of reference, I've read that these integrated cards are similar in performance to an 8400, so you might want to judge it off of people's experiences who have played Crysis on those cards.

mbcollins93

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
so are you saying that if i maxed out the ram on the new intigrated macbooks i could play crysis better than a macbook pro could

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
so are you saying that if i maxed out the ram on the new intigrated macbooks i could play crysis better than a macbook pro could

No. The current graphics card (Intel GMA X3100) uses 144MB of shared memory regardless of whether the MacBook has 1GB RAM or has 4GB RAM as mine does. Although apparently the X3100 under XP runs at 300-odd MB... makes playing Sim City 4 a rather pleasurable experience (even though SC4 in XP refuses to work in 16:10 and I have to run it 1024x768 with black bars down the side... meh.

Yeah... I installed XP just to play SC4 and use the SC4 Lot Editor. Its not sad, its cost-effective :D

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Nvidia's "system on a chip" chipset that Apple is likely to use is still not as fast as the GeForce 8400M GS or dedicated low-end 9000 series cards.

It Apple is still trying to charge $1299 and now $1599 like the rumor on the front page suggests, Apple better be offering 9600M GTs in the MacBook.

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
Now i know all of these rumors about macbooks are just speculation, but why would the new macbooks have a new NVIDIA GeForce 9300 and 9400 series when the largest current macbook pro only has a 8600. Now i don't know much about the hardware of computers (I just know software and how to make computers run to their fullest extent.), but common sense says that 9300 is bigger than 8600. so maybe i am not understanding right. maybe these rumored 9300 graphics cards are like "not pro" or something. But if they are bigger than the new graphics cards on the macbook pros will be even bigger, won't they. Because if they aren't then the macbook pros are not so pro any more.

So tell me what y'all think.

Also would crysis be able to run on a GeForce 9300 and 9400 series or even a program like Final Cut.

Thanks a lot.
cheers

why didn't anyone just answer this simple question?

for Nvidia: (this is a BASIC SIMPLE answer. if some techie wants to elaborate feel free to)

FIRST NUMBER: the series of cards. they've been periodically releasing new series cards. the 8 series was last years, the 9 series is this year.

THE SECOND NUMBER: is the "performance". ie 9100 = not that good. 8800= crazy good.

THE THIRD NUMBER: rarely appears, but is around sometimes. just means better.

ie)

9600<9650.

cleared up?

kenned

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Denmark
I think the new integrated graphics from nvidia can be compared to the 8400m gs, and my friends HP (lol) with 8400m gs runs crysis all low at around 30 fps :cool:

Edit: But not having dedicated RAM to the graphics processor decreases performance alot, my aged IBM laptop with 32mb's of RAM on a radeon 7500 mobility card runs TMNF way better than the x3100 from intel just because it has dedicated RAM for graphics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.