PDA

View Full Version : OS X-native OpenOffice finally ships

MacBytes
Oct 13, 2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: OS X-native OpenOffice finally ships (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081013102709)
Description:: The fairer platform gets some aqua loving, though users of PPC Macs have been left out in the cold...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

albeik
Oct 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
Right now openoffice.org is giving me "403 Forbidden" access. Anyone know why?
:confused:

yoppie
Oct 13, 2008, 09:45 AM

I'm experiencing the same problem. They're probably working on some back-end stuff.

parapup
Oct 13, 2008, 09:57 AM

Site is overloaded with lots of people trying to download. But if you just wanted to download, hit one of the openoffice.org mirror sites (google or use this link (http://openoffice.mirrors.tds.net/pub/openoffice/stable/3.0.0/)).

DaveTheGrey
Oct 13, 2008, 10:23 AM
I think I'll wait till the run is over :)

HyperZboy
Oct 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
The fairer platform gets some aqua loving, though users of PPC Macs have been left out in the cold...

AMAZING! My ridiculously expensive Powermac G5, now totally tricked out, is no longer capable of simple word processing and office tasks?

As an Apple user since 1983, I've seriously long since tired of Steve Jobs snake oil salesman tricks to force Mac users to throw away a completely fast & powerful Mac on a whim or what people in the computer industry probably joke about as "strategically planned obsolescence"

Obviously the PC switchers are happy with this OpenOffice news, but the people that have long since kept Apple in business against all odds over the decades are not so happy after spending $3000+ just a few years ago for a GIANT ALUMINUM BRICK! :mad:

djellison
Oct 13, 2008, 11:00 AM
AMAZING! My ridiculously expensive Powermac G5, now totally tricked out, is no longer capable of simple word processing and office tasks?

Please explain how the release of Open Office 3 stops any and all alternate word processing applications from functioning.

Am3822
Oct 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing here, but since the source code would be available -- isn't it possible that someone(s) would step up and port it to PPC?

wordmunger
Oct 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
A commenter on TFA said that it does work on PPC. Can anyone confirm?

dr_lha
Oct 13, 2008, 11:12 AM

As an Apple user since 1983, I've seriously long since tired of Steve Jobs snake oil salesman tricks to force Mac users to throw away a completely fast & powerful Mac on a whim or what people in the computer industry probably joke about as "strategically planned obsolescence"

Obviously the PC switchers are happy with this OpenOffice news, but the people that have long since kept Apple in business against all odds over the decades are not so happy after spending $3000+ just a few years ago for a GIANT ALUMINUM BRICK! :mad:
How exactly is it Steve Job's fault if OpenOffice don't release their software as a Universal Binary? Apple have put everything in place to allow third parties to easily develop software that works on both Intel and PPC, and for the most part developers have been making use of this.

I guess my point is, if you want to complain, complain to OpenOffice.org, its their fault, not Apple's. The Intel transition was necessary and successful.

Queso
Oct 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
Interesting how you're happy to stay with a computer with a few years on it, but demand the absolute latest free word processor. :confused:

Anyway, until such time as you join the majority of the other long-term Apple users and migrate to Intel there's always NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php), a Oo3-level version of which will be out in a few months if previous release cycles are anything to go by.

I should also point out that Sun are the sponsors of the OpenOffice project, not Apple. Oh and calm down. You've not actually lost anything today.

Will : Hi !
Oct 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
A commenter on TFA said that it does work on PPC. Can anyone confirm?

The RCs ran on PPC Macs, IIRC. But there's no PPC build marked as stable yet:

http://openoffice.mirrors.tds.net/pub/openoffice/stable/3.0.0/

Maybe the PC build hasn't passed QA and will be oficially released later?

NeoOffice 2.2.5 still runs on PowerPC Macs (including Panther), and already has Office 2007 import (+ export) filters and the optimization solver. Also, NeoOffice 3.0 will run on 10.4 and 10.5, PPC and Intel.

opeter
Oct 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
PPC is dead. Get over it. Also, should i cry, because my Mac mini wont support Snow Leopard? :o

Jeonat
Oct 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
Got it and am fairly impressed - seems quite fast and clean. Unfortunately it doesn't save in MS Office 2007 XML (.docx etc) but it opens them fine. Deleted iWork and sticking with this now.

sushi
Oct 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think that this is good news for the Mac community.

Got it and am fairly impressed - seems quite fast and clean. Unfortunately it doesn't save in MS Office 2007 XML (.docx etc) but it opens them fine.
Thanks for the feedback.

mainstreetmark
Oct 13, 2008, 12:17 PM

It has? My god - how did you even write that post?

I've already helped you out by feeding back to Apple and demanding that they stop improving their products It's inexcusable!

[/quote]

I happen to collect giant aluminum bricks. PM me for an address where you can send yours.

yoppie
Oct 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Got it and am fairly impressed - seems quite fast and clean. Unfortunately it doesn't save in MS Office 2007 XML (.docx etc) but it opens them fine. Deleted iWork and sticking with this now.

I have yet to run into anyone that uses the new .docx format. Do you run across those types of files regularly?

dr_lha
Oct 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have yet to run into anyone that uses the new .docx format. Do you run across those types of files regularly?
Loads of people I work with send .docx files to me (and .xlsx). That said where I work has some licensing agreement where everyone can get Office "for free" by downloading it off a website, so more people have migrated to Office 2007/8 than probably in an average office.

Jeonat
Oct 13, 2008, 01:02 PM

Not too often, but from time to time. Now that people are buying Office 2007 for Windows which uses the format by default, at least I know I can open such files if they're sent to me and I imagine the use will grow over time.

j

Analog Kid
Oct 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
I guess my point is, if you want to complain, complain to OpenOffice.org, its their fault, not Apple's.
Agreed. What the heck are they doing that they can't do a universal build?

Maybe it's insufficient test resources-- if that's the case, then a tricked out G5 running beta code might be just what the doctor ordered.

Saladinos
Oct 13, 2008, 01:45 PM

I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Processor architecture transitions don't happen very often. Apple's done the right thing by dropping PPC macs - look at what legacy code does to Windows!

costabunny
Oct 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
well, after a day of tiresome ups and downs I finally got it (I guess thats mainly due to it being slashdotted early and load humping their apache's).

Looks nice and clean, and excel sheets load faster and look better than in Office 2008 (maybe Ill sell that now, butI do still like Entourage).

Lets see how the apps hold up over the next few days....

benthewraith
Oct 13, 2008, 02:12 PM

Yo. If only because my school uses Office 2007.

Jonnyfive
Oct 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
I was beginning to think the day would never come. I hate X11!

danny_w
Oct 13, 2008, 02:19 PM
I started downloading about 2 hours ago and it now says 7.5 hours. Oh well, maybe by tomorrow...

benthewraith
Oct 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
I started downloading about 2 hours ago and it now says 7.5 hours. Oh well, maybe by tomorrow...

Just started, and its at 20 minutes right now.

danny_w
Oct 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
Just started, and its at 20 minutes right now.
I think I'll cancel and start over.

EDIT: That did it, now it says 3m

chris200x9
Oct 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
must upgrade i can't stand beta2's doc formatting issues

Quillz
Oct 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
I have yet to run into anyone that uses the new .docx format. Do you run across those types of files regularly?I do. As anyone who uses Office 2007 or 2008 will be working with these types of document files unless they change the default file type (which most people don't.)

Quillz
Oct 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Processor architecture transitions don't happen very often. Apple's done the right thing by dropping PPC macs - look at what legacy code does to Windows!
What does it do? It allows Windows to work with virtually any hardware and software on the market, for one thing. It also must mean that Vista runs very, very fast on my iMac, faster than Leopard, even.

khunsanook
Oct 13, 2008, 10:18 PM
Loads of people I work with send .docx files to me (and .xlsx). That said where I work has some licensing agreement where everyone can get Office "for free" by downloading it off a website, so more people have migrated to Office 2007/8 than probably in an average office.

It's true that docx is becoming more common. My personal experience though, is that many of the people who give me .docx files only do so because they don't realize they can change the default save as in Office 2007/08. Most projects I work on specify .doc format not .docx - my projects need to work with the lowest common denominator.

yoppie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks for responding to my question guys. I have the new Office (both Mac and Windows <--- Parents computer) and I changed the defaults to be sure that my classmates can view them. I can't say definitively which Office year my classmates and professors are using but they pretty much always send files to me in .doc format. I had one professor send a .wpd file once.

I'm going to chalk it up to everyone wanting to make sure that their files get through to the next person since we have to send out multiple files on the daily. :confused:

joelovesapple
Oct 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
I tend to use Neo Office as has previously been mentioned in this post. It's less of a bother as you no longer have to have the X11 thing running, which is nice. Aesthetically they are more or less the same too and function-wise.

xUKHCx
Oct 14, 2008, 09:58 AM
I tend to use Neo Office as has previously been mentioned in this post. It's less of a bother as you no longer have to have the X11 thing running, which is nice. Aesthetically they are more or less the same too and function-wise.

With this version, 3, this is no longer the case.

OpenOffice 3 is brilliant.

joelovesapple
Oct 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
Oh! Thanks for updating me on this, I had no idea they had done version 3 until now:)

How does it compare to Ms Office and Neo?

xUKHCx
Oct 14, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh! Thanks for updating me on this, I had no idea they had done version 3 until now:)

How does it compare to Ms Office and Neo?

This really depends on your needs and personal preferences.

I think it is better/more responsive than Neo.

It is faster than Office on my machine and supports open formats which is good. I still use Office but slowly OO is taking over more and more of my work time.

It is only about 160MB to download so worth a try if you want to give it a spin. I think you will find it replacing NeoOffice on your machine if you do.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 14, 2008, 12:30 PM
I downloaded OpenOffice v3 yesterday, and tried it for the first time. I must admit, it's a massive improvement over v2.x - much more pleasant user interface. I think I'll be keeping it, and using it for office tasks where iWork fails to meet my needs.

joelovesapple
Oct 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks again for the info - however, I forgot to state which version of Ms Office I was talking about.

What I meant was how it compared to the PC version of Office 2003, because I am doing an ECDL course and I need it to be similar, so that I don't *always* have to use the lesser version:D.

I guess I should just use Ms Office on the PC though right?

Sorry! And thanks yet again :o

xUKHCx
Oct 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks again for the info - however, I forgot to state which version of Ms Office I was talking about.

What I meant was how it compared to the PC version of Office 2003, because I am doing an ECDL course and I need it to be similar, so that I don't *always* have to use the lesser version:D.

I guess I should just use Ms Office on the PC though right?

Sorry! And thanks yet again :o

I haven't used 2003 for quite some time as I have mainly used mac versions of Office, 2004 and 2008, in recent years. It depends what level you are using Office (sorry don't know what ECDL is and a google search brings up a couple of reasonable options).. For example at the moment I am mainly using it for word processing so it is a perfect replacement.

When I was at using I was using Excel, powerpoint, word heavily so my opinion migh be different but a quick prod at OpenOffice 3 in this regards it seems very solid. It is worth checking out.

What do you actually do in Office?

If you are fine using Office at the moment then changing in mid course might not be best. I am at a point where I don't really need Office so am switching and seeing if I can accomplish it all in OO.

Some people prefer sticking to something they know and trust but after Office 2008 I will certainly not purchase Office 2012 or whatever it is by the time they bring it out. Especially given this release which is very solid and can handle all my tasks (so far).

Harmush
Oct 14, 2008, 04:14 PM
would you guys say that open office is better than Microsoft office mac suite. which i got free anyway so i guess it doesn't matter too much.

MacsRgr8
Oct 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
would you guys say that open office is better than Microsoft office mac suite. which i got free anyway so i guess it doesn't matter too much.

You might not believe this, but my OO 3 opens "Writer" faster than Word 2008 has started on my Mac Pro....

cal6n
Oct 17, 2008, 06:31 PM
OO.o calc won't accept a space/tab delimited text file that's been copied and pasted from textwrangler. It insists on putting each row into one cell. It has no problems if the text has been copied from writer, though.

It's back to NeoOffice for me. That works.

AndyCro
Oct 23, 2008, 03:31 AM
Why not run Neooffice if you cant run open office?

opeter
Oct 23, 2008, 05:32 AM
OpenOffice.org 3 Aqua is so sloooow, that there is no chance, i will switch from NeoOffice.

Kane.Elson
Oct 23, 2008, 05:45 AM
Has anyone else noticed that although the English version is only available as 2.4 on ppc the french/german etc.. versions are 3.0 for ppc. I'm not sure if they made a typo or they are playing funny buggers.

Oneness
Oct 23, 2008, 07:11 AM
PPC is dead. Get over it. Also, should i cry, because my Mac mini wont support Snow Leopard? :o

What do you mean your c2d 1.83ghz mini won't support Snow Leopard? Is this confirmed? Someone needs to get on this now!!! This is serious!!!:mad:

I could care less about all the PPC whinners (I have a PPC Powerbook, thank you very much) or the iPhoners who cry a river everytime there is a price drop or ATT adds a new charge just for thinking about the iPhone (yes I have an iPhone also), but BY GOLLY my Mini had better support Snow or THERE WILL BE H**L TO PAY!!

FIRST YOU, YES YOU STEVIE BOY, PRACTICALLY KILL OFF MY BELOVED MINI, NOW IT SEEMS YOU ARE PLANNING ITS OBSELESENCE!!! OOHH... THIS MAKES ME MAD....