PDA

View Full Version : KRK VTX8 Studio Monitors too big for me?

stebianchi
Oct 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hello,
and thanks, for the attenction.
Maybe your experience could help me.

I'm planning to buy a pair of KRK VTX8 Studio Monitors (http://www.krksys.com/product_vxt.php) to use them connected to a mac Pro through a Matrox Mxo2 (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/) for a video editing station? My studio is 4x3 meters. Am I risking to make my step longer then my leg? This is my question: are them too loud, considering the room's size (and considering that I can not tur on the volume too loud down there?).
Maybe VTX6, or 4, should be better? But VTX8 culd be an investiment for the future...

Thank you very much,
best things!

Stefano

thegoldenmackid
Oct 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
I would say get them. Too loud is something that is solved by turning them down. The 6's IMO don't make much sense.

Luap
Oct 24, 2008, 01:36 PM
I would say get them. Too loud is something that is solved by turning them down. The 6's IMO don't make much sense.

Turning the volume down does indeed solve much of the problem. But generally, the reason why large speakers in small rooms don't get along together is that the typically extended bass response of larger speakers is more likely to bring about odd audible room modes in the bass end. IE resonating. Which causes a boomy sound at particular frequencies which in turn will have you trying to compensate with your mixing. Which leads to a less than perfect mix because you compensated for the room & speakers instead of any issue that existed with the mix to begin with.
Smaller speakers are far less likely to cause this.

But as I say, keep the levels respectable and there shouldn't be a serious problem. Particularly if the room is acoustically good. IE, fairly dead sounding, and preferably has some acoustic treatment. Careful speaker positioning can work wonders too. IE, don't stick them in corners for a start.

The 4's look way too small to me! And the 8's are perhaps a bit large. The 6's look ideal given the room size. But if you are careful and have your heart set on the 8's then you'll be ok I think :)