Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LDB

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Houston area
That same thing is in every major city craigslist. It's a GIGANTIC 100 by 60 foot red flag waving FURIOUSLY in the breeze. Have you not watched enough tv and read enough to run at the sight of these things? Just in case anyone still doubts, I sent an email to the identical add in Houston saying:

Let me guess, you are in Kuwait or London and this will ship to me when I pay the third party right?

Amazingly rather than ignoring me I got the usual scam form letter back about losing the job, moving to London, can't use it because of 110 electric etc. from them.

So, anyone ever considering responding to an ad for a basically current item for 20% of the regular price and 1/3 of what a legitimate seller would ask forget it and just send me the money instead. You at least won't be sending money to a crook.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
LDB. you mean the same ad? or the same kind of thing. Because I am one who knows about Craigslist idiots. I did email him a nice "I am interested in your item, plz get back to me at 184-4401-69371" a counterscam, as I call it.

LDB

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Houston area
The identical ad, not one sort of like it. That's why in my post I said identical. I also reported the results of their reply. When you find one that's the deal of the century you'll often find it on multiple sites for the major cities in every state.

Rokln

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
This laptop is good for gaming too. With 2 GB of Ram memory you can play any Game on it!

This line from the ad is a dead give away that it is a scam or the person has no clue about computers.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
According to a warning on the Craigslist Columbus (Ohio) website...When you ask the seller about it, he says it is sold, but refers you to a site where he got it. The site is supposedly virus-ridden and if enter your email address, you get spammed.

You can't get something for nothing. There are always strings attached.

Don't waste your money.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree with the vast majority of posters; if it is too good to be true, it probably is. Don't touch it with the proverbial bargepole. Obviously, it's a scam. And don't buy something as expensive as a MBA from anyone other than a reputable sellar, irrespective of how attractive the supposed price is.
Cheers

benflick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Someone emailed me back from a "Laura Kisser". It says:
Hi there,

Sorry for my late reply but I'm currently in England, Wolverhampton. Because of the financial crisis, I lost my job in United States ( i was an IT Operations Manager ) and I had to move at my syster in United Kingdom ( here I found a good job ) .
The laptop is still available, in perfect condition, and I will sell it only in US because here the warranty and the AppleCare are US registered.
I can't use the laptop here in UK because it works on 110 V. I didn't know about this problem when I moved here and another reason why I am selling the laptop is because I have just received a new laptop as a birthday gift here in UK, so I do not think I will be using my old laptop any more. I don't have use for 2 laptops.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop. I bought the laptop 3 months ago and it still has 9 months of Apple transferable warranty remaining ( you can extand the warranty for one year on your name ).
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
Since I can't meet you and make the exchange, I would like to use a service that will help us with that:

http://www.tnt.com/tnt.express.wolverhampton.depot/third_party_service.html

TNT is a worldwide delivery company (like Fedex, DHL or UPS). You can see from their procedure that you will be able to check the laptop before I receive the payment. If you are in a hurry, I will use 2 day delivery (on my expense).

Let me know what you think.

Best Wishes,
Laura Kisser

I was pretty sure it was a scam, just wanted to make sure...
thanks

rach123987

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
My reply to this scam--

Hi there,

The laptop is still available, in perfect condition, but I'm currently in England, London. Because of the financial crisis, I lost my job in United States ( i was an IT Operations Manager ) and I had to move at my sister in United Kingdom ( here I found a good job ) .
I will sell it only in US because here the warranty and the AppleCare are US registered.
I can't use the laptop here in UK because it works on 110 V. I didn't know about this problem when I moved here and another reason why I am selling the laptop because I really need money urgently to pay my rent.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop. I bought the laptop 8 months ago and it still has 4 months of Apple transferable warranty remaining ( you can extend the warranty for one year on your name ).
Since I can't meet you and make the exchange, I would like to use a service that will help us with that:

http://www.tnt.com/tnt.express.london.depot/third_party_service.html

TNT is a worldwide delivery company (like Fedex, DHL or UPS). You can see from their procedure that you will be able to check the laptop before I receive the payment. If you are in a hurry, I will use 2 day delivery (on my expense).

Best Wishes,
Tiffany Harris

Just a hint. if you want to scam, get your story straight, use proper english if you are from the US, and remember you can 1 always get a converter for ANY electrical device and 2 you wouldn't be desperately needing rent money if you were living with your sister. shed take care of you.
P.S. get the address for the company right next time.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Yes.

I'm posting this reply before reading the thread. I'll come back and edit it if I'm wrong.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Hi there,

The laptop is still available, in perfect condition, but I'm currently in England, London. Because of the financial crisis, I lost my job in United States ( i was an IT Operations Manager ) and I had to move at my sister in United Kingdom ( here I found a good job ) .
I will sell it only in US because here the warranty and the AppleCare are US registered.
I can't use the laptop here in UK because it works on 110 V. I didn't know about this problem when I moved here and another reason why I am selling the laptop because I really need money urgently to pay my rent.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop. I bought the laptop 8 months ago and it still has 4 months of Apple transferable warranty remaining ( you can extend the warranty for one year on your name ).

Best Wishes,
Tiffany Harris

Just a hint. if you want to scam, get your story straight, use proper english if you are from the US, and remember you can 1 always get a converter for ANY electrical device and 2 you wouldn't be desperately needing rent money if you were living with your sister. shed take care of you.
P.S. get the address for the company right next time.

Well the listing on craigslist does not exist anymore. The TNT address is legit. They are an international shipping company, and they will pick up and deliver any package to almost anywhere. I have used them as early as last month. Very fast and efficient I might add.

davedogg

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
After I got the exact same email above I wrote to him:

You can use the macbook in England, I used mine all over Europe and Asia. Sell it there for more money..
Threr is not any way I'm going to do this with you for any price. good luck on your Scam.
BTW the President of Nigeria just died. (for real) Time to get busy trying to get that inheritance out of the country!
Sorry about that.
AND

tiffanyharris80@hotmail.com is a BIG SCAMMER on craigslist

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
Hi,

The laptop is still available, but I'm currently in London, England. Because of the financial crisis, I lost my job in United States and I had to move at my sister in United Kingdom ( here I found a good job ) .
The laptop is in perfect condition, and I will sell it only in US because here the warranty and the AppleCare are US registered. I am selling the laptop because I don't use it anymore. I work a lot with Windows XP Pro and this one can't run this Operating System.
Click here : Apple_MacBook_Air to see some pics with the laptop so you can see the condition of the laptop. I bought the laptop 4 months ago and it still has 8 months of Apple transferable warranty remaining ( you can extend the warranty for one year on your name ).

Best Wishes,
Tiffany Harris

All I can say is LOL. I knew this was a scam from the beginning but I thought I would email anyway. Should I continue to say I'm interested to get an address revealed? Hopefully I can report this person some how.

KyleTroy

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Michigan till 2012
Wait...Huh?

Wow guys, I almost feel for this, something just didn't sit with me correctly, I noticed some spelling and grammar issues, and I'm new the the Craigslist scene, so I decided to google the name because I'm weird like haha, but I'm very thankful, I got this SAME email, but when I got the email I clicked the link and the page was blank so it gave me a red flag, but here is the email I got, with a link to free web hosting..with the domain http://efrainreyes.fizwig.com/Apple_MACBOOK_AIR.html

I searched efrainreyes on googled (because I'm curious)
and it suggest its a name efrain reyes, and there is some facebook, but if you type scam after it you'll see some stuff about this person being a craigslist scammer Like This Page, so I'm VERY happy I checked after my red flags. If anyone has more information on who this guy/girl man thing is please let me and the rest of us know.

Hi,

The laptop is still available, but I'm currently in London, England. Because of the financial crisis, I lost my job in (No The? Could be an error semi-flag) United States and I had to move at my sister(RED FLAG #1) in United Kingdom ( here I found a good job ) .
The laptop is in perfect condition, and I will sell it only in (another The? Humm something not right) US because here the warranty and the AppleCare are US registered. I am selling the laptop because I don't use it anymore. I work a lot with Windows XP Pro(no one would say pro?) and this on can't run this Operating System.(bootcamp?! RED FLAG!)
Click here : Apple_MacBook_Air (a link? who goes through the trouble to make a link?) to see some pics with the laptop so you can see the condition of the laptop. I bought the laptop 4 months ago and it still has 8 months of Apple transferable warranty remaining ( you can extend the warranty for one year on your name ).
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away. (that just sounds weird?)

Best Wishes,
Tiffany Harris(that sounds like a name that I've heard before??)

Guys, stay away from it but here is a link to the new listing REPORT it please! Click here for the listing

Thanks for the post
-Kyle

diminiko

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
London
This one has been aroud for years! Almost identical to a Craislist add I found 3 years ago when I needed a replacement for a Sony Vaio. Wouldn't touch it with a barge poll.

Same story, same delivery method. They will take the money and you will get nothing.

FYI there is also a different scam in the UK that a colleague fell for. He was looking for accommodation and respoded to an ad. Looked very legitimate. Was asked to send a deposit to me and send a copy of the receipt to the landlord to confirm that he could afford the place. We didn't know that Westrn Union releases the cash to anyone with only the confirmation nnumber. No ID required! When you read the fine print on Western Union website it's clear they don't give a s**t and will let anyone take your money and they are not responsible for anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.