Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Greetings, I know this may not be the right forum, but i figure it could be a good place to get opinions.

I run a small high school sports marketing company and we help local school districts obtain sponsorships to events and things like that.

I switched hosts a week ago from a friend who was hosting our site to a large webhost that supported more features on the server (and was hosted on nix, not windows).

Anyways, I come to find out that they have a 90 email per hour limit that is shared amongst all accounts on the domain. Which for the 4 people in my business isn't good. We do a very high volume of emails per day.

Twice a month we send out a newsletter to about 200 of our clients on our mailing list. We sent that today and thats when I found out that the host I switched to only allows 90 messages out per hour. It bomed when I tried to send the message to 200 people.

Anyways I'm looking for a good host that will be able to support my need. Other than that, site traffic isn't huge, and we run a pretty basic site with some PDF's to download, but would like to post videos of some of the events that we obtain sponsorships to in the future.

I've looked at InMotion, HostMonster, and HostingPad. Can anyone tell me if these are any good? I have contacted them and they all support 250+ mails per hour which would be just fine for us, but I want to hear personal experiences if possible and get recommendations on other places to try.

Thanks so much.

montanachad

macrumors regular
Twice a month we send out a newsletter to about 200 of our clients on our mailing list. We sent that today and thats when I found out that the host I switched to only allows 90 messages out per hour. It bomed when I tried to send the message to 200 people.

Blue host lets you send 500 messages per hour. And if you need more they will accommodate that too.

http://www.bluehost.com/ (not a referral link)

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
I would have to say 1and1 they rule! I started the website in my sig I've found its fair pricing and they very have good packages. I provide an affiliate link not to screw you over and just get affiliate money, but because they are great and if you DO (I'm not forcing you) choose them.....why not get a lil money for myself :D

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=19492984 (affiliate link)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
A Small Orange.

You'll find their name in just about every "recommend me a host" thread here. They're very good, great support, well priced. You may not get "unlimited everything" like some seem to do, but you get what you pay for here.

saMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
i use asmallorange

they have flexible plans, good uptime, good support, wonderful cPanel administration, infinite emails-subdomains-databases-etc.... FPextensions, php, perl, ruby, etc...

**edit: dag, yo. edesignuk beat me to it.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i use dreamhost and so far no complain, I think i get unlimited emails too.. not sure tho... and good price..you can check them out too...

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
A Small Orange is okay if only need a small amount (75MB for $5 a month), but their spacier plans are pretty pricy (4500MB for $30 a month?!).

I use Eleven2, and they start off at 60GB for $6.00 a month. I've used them for years and they've been fantastic, with both uptime and customer service.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Just some thoughts:

I use A Small Orange and really like their service. However, I use Google apps for my webmail. I don't know what kind of limitations that they have as far as emails per hour, etc. but you might want to check out the google apps website to see if the service meets your needs.

As for your newsletter, perhaps you should look into a company like Constant Contact (there are others that offer similar services, but I think they are the cheapest). That will take the burden off of your email service provider. If you are planning on growing your email address database, you might consider a company like this that can do mass email blasts for you.

cmk08

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Liquidweb is also a great place to host your site. Since your site is small, you could get a separate e-mail service. At work we have a very basic web hosting plan with one company, and our email services are handled by network solutions (which works great for us given the volume of emails as well).

davethewave

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Trieste, Italy
I'm using dreamhost, as I think it has very good support.
and it is features rich too, from ssh to QTStreaming, Ruby, crontab, mail and mailing list, all with a complete web panel function.
If you need a referral link, with a price discount, you can PM to me or look at my website.
bye
DaVe

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Thank you for the helpful replies.

I am leaning towards bluehost at this point.

I would tell people to stay away from Glob@t and imhosted.com if you need any real email service.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I'm looking into getting a hosting service, too, and this is the only thread I found ... so, I was wondering what folks think about some of the heavy hitters like GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions ... are they bad, or are the ones you folks have recommended just better?

Note that my needs are not too much bandwidth, but ability for PHP, SQL or MySQL, e-mail ... kinda basic stuff these days. Basically running a personal site, very small marketing site, a reasonably large educational site, and then some basic database stuff like a blog, ability to track/record what pages users view, what browser they're using, etc. Oh, and I'd also need to buy a domain name.

Edit: I just did a quick internet search and found a few websites that do reviews, and they rank hosting services based on the reviews. I couldn't find either of the two I mentioned ('cept GoDaddy, ranked #8 on one of them), but neither could I find A Small Orange on the lists. Host Monster, however, seemed to be one of the best, fairly consistently, along with BlueHost. Anyone know 'bout these?

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
GoDaddy and Network Solutions are good registrars, but from a web hosting standpoint they cater to a much different audience (one-page sites, very basic hosting, a few email accounts). I am on A Small Orange as are a few of my clients. $25/year for the small package may be plenty for you. Check out their forums for feedback. They don't advertise 'unlimited' everything, but you do get good quality of what you pay for. PHP, MySQL included.

http://refer.asmallorange.com/3410 (Affiliate link - saves you another $5 off the first year)

TheKnifeFight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Socal
Do NOT use 1and1.com their service is so cripped. I've heard good things about bluehost and smallorange but haven't tried them. I use a more expensive host because I believe in the saying "you get what you pay for"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.