PDA

View Full Version : I just had to express myself!

MrSugar
Jan 29, 2004, 07:28 AM
Wow,

So I have been a Mac user since last August. I have always had those "maccy" friends of mine, I always respected them but never thought I could fit into the Mac world. Well my view has changed and I need to express what amazes me about all of you.

I have never, never, been involved in a forum that is as interative as this Mac forum, but besides that. I have never been involved in a place with such mature, respectful, and yet well humored people.

It astonishes me how Mac users are less than 10% of the computer users out there, yet have more than a 10x active and helping community than I have ever seen. Questions, ideas, random posts, everyone jumps aboard to through in their 2 cents, it truly is a beautiful thing. The ability to be a part of this community is alone enough of a reason to be a switcher. Throw in the amazing abilities of OSX, the sleak and inovative design of Apple hardware, the extraordinary software design and functionality... wow.

If every PC user could expirience and feel what I have felt since joining the mac community last August, they would never ever go back.

It's great to have finally opened my eyes to the better side of things. Thanks all!

edesignuk
Jan 29, 2004, 07:33 AM
So, um...you're *quite* happy then? :D ;)

scem0
Jan 29, 2004, 07:38 AM
It really is crazy how apple has such a small market share, yet you are hard pressed to find a PC fan site, when there are a wealth of mac sites.

You will find that some mac user's love of apple borders on bigotry. I don't think you can truly enjoy your mac until you can admit that it isn't perfect, and that a PC is actually a better choice for a lot of people.

But I agree with you 100%, the apple community is great, and makes apple a much better company.

scem0

mymemory
Jan 29, 2004, 09:05 AM
Well, this forum wasn't like this when I joing it about 2 years ago already I think. But it started to have this shape from a year 1/2 ago, that is why the Comunity discusion section was created. We were havinf fun talking about anything and there were not enough Mac news to talk about.

But it is more the people of the forum than the Mac aspect itself, other Mac forums are not like this.

We actually know each other some how already and is a good scape when your friends in real life are not around to listen to you.

Have fun.

kettle
Jan 29, 2004, 10:24 AM
You're lovely you are. :)

isus
Jan 29, 2004, 10:32 AM
i'm glad you are happy here :)

ExoticFish
Jan 29, 2004, 10:48 AM
i feel the exact same way! i love the mac community and this site has been a great place to hang out, thanks to everyone! and glad you like it MrSugar! :D

JesseJames
Jan 29, 2004, 11:22 AM
This IS one of the best message board sites on the web. IMO.
It's very well moderated. I think that's one of the keys. Plus, Arn doesn't take any crap.
It's kind of like going out to dinner with all your friends wives. Be on your best behavior.

tpjunkie
Jan 29, 2004, 11:46 AM
But don't be afraid to have too much to drink ;)

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
lots of good humor, candor, with seriousness only coming in when theres a problem. people are really keen on trying to help and share their knowledge, be it links, and tips and tricks. makes owning and running a mac easy knowing you got a lot of resources to turn to

rueyeet
Jan 29, 2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
But it is more the people of the forum than the Mac aspect itself, other Mac forums are not like this. I'll agree that MacRumors is a gem among forums, Mac or otherwise, but there IS something to the Mac aspect of things.

On the PC side, if you need help with your computer, you are most likely to get it from an IT person, who often have a regrettable habit of regarding those whose expertise with computers is less than theirs as "clueless lusers," to steal a phrase. At best, users who need help are looked at fondly, but still patronizingly. Talk to ANY help desk tech, and you'll see what I mean.

Even if you're not going to an IT person for help, the IT attitude has seeped down to many power users too. Try asking a newbie question on a Linux board...but don't forget to notify your next of kin first, because the hacker-types who bequeathed their computer snobbery to the IT people are, if anything, a lot worse.

In contrast, Mac communities in general are much, much more helpful and friendly. I think it's because on the Mac side, EVERYONE is a user....there's no IT attitude because Mac IT people are not such an institution (yes, I know there are IT folks who post here, but I'll bet all of them can probably immediately think of someone they know who fits the stereotype of the "IT person"). It's that whole "computer for the rest of us" thing...we're ALL "the rest of us" here!

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the community. You are right. This Mac community is absolutly great and very helpful. Most people are very polite and thats very good that it is that way.

Enjoy your Mac and the community.

Cheers

wdlove
Jan 29, 2004, 02:02 PM
Welcome MrSugar to the world of Mac and MacRumors. It's great that you are happy.

I friend everyone on this site to be friendly and polite. You just have to expect that someone might have a bad day once in a while.

MrMacMan
Jan 30, 2004, 12:59 AM
Glad your enjoying the Mac Experience.

Remember... everyone here is your friend...
Don't trust anybody!

;)

haha, all questions will be answered.