PDA

View Full Version : If my MacBook had an 'accident'...

joelm1988
Oct 14, 2008, 06:19 AM
I bought a MacBook about a month ago and i am pleased with it and would be fine keeping it. However, with new models looking like being just around the corner, what do you think would be the best way of getting my hands on one? It is obviously still under guarantee, plus it is also covered on my home insurance. What is Apple's policy of replacement? Is it like-for-like or monetary value?

dukebound85
Oct 14, 2008, 06:20 AM
we dont tolerate fraud

if you want one, buy one

edesignuk
Oct 14, 2008, 06:23 AM
Firstly, it comes with a warranty against defects, not against being dropped on the floor.
Secondly, they will replace faulty parts quite a number of times before they simply swap the whole unit out (generally).

What your insurance company do is down to them.

joelm1988
Oct 14, 2008, 06:26 AM
Take it hypothetically then. If i had a broken MacBook, there would be some course of action. In my friends case, his actually is broken so literally is in this position

holysmoke
Oct 14, 2008, 06:28 AM
try it.. have an "accident" with your macbook, and see what they do:rolleyes:

avigalante
Oct 14, 2008, 06:34 AM
Please don't defraud the system.

I would hope your integrity as an individual is far more paramount than some pathetic $1500 laptop.

jedivulcan
Oct 14, 2008, 07:03 AM
I bought a MacBook about a month ago and i am pleased with it and would be fine keeping it. However, with new models looking like being just around the corner, what do you think would be the best way of getting my hands on one? It is obviously still under guarantee, plus it is also covered on my home insurance. What is Apple's policy of replacement? Is it like-for-like or monetary value?

You're a pretty sad individual. That is all.

claimed4all
Oct 14, 2008, 07:17 AM
Fraud is bad, I hope you get caught.

Muler36
Oct 14, 2008, 07:43 AM
this is totally off-topic, but joel, by any chance are you a photographer? used to post on skateperception etc

swear i recognise your name lol

Munitalp
Oct 14, 2008, 07:51 AM

I would suggest you place your macbook in your shower and then proceed to turn your shower on. This has been known to get a replacement provided very quickly in the past ;)

jsw
Oct 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
This thread will continue to go downhill, so I'm closing it.

OP: the best way to get your hands on a new MacBook is to buy one or to visit an Apple Store. Aside from the ethical considerations of insurance fraud, which bother me only in that it could lead to rate hikes for me, you'd leave yourself with a broken almost-new computer and no way of being sure you'd ever get a replacement, all for what are likely minor real-world changes. Your call.