PDA

View Full Version : the pre-med complaint thread

themadchemist
Jan 29, 2004, 08:43 AM
I figured it had to be started at some point...I just pulled an all-nighter studying for my Intro Biochem course. I have a Multivariable Integration quiz in a couple hours. Life sucks for the pre-med.

How about you fellow pre-meds? Where do you go to school? What frustrated you about pre-med? Complain, complain!

As for me, I'm at Northwestern, and I believe I have already done my fair share of complaining.

(oh, this is also a thread welcome to those who would like to extol the rigor of science education and make fun of the comm studies majors who don't do anything at all ever ;))

Dros
Jan 29, 2004, 09:56 AM
Well, here's my perspective as someone that teaches classes often taken as part of a pre-med major... medical school is pure information overload. If you actually want to go that route, you need to learn better studying skills. Every day, for several hours, should be spent studying. An Intro to Biochem class plus other typical lower level classes should be a breeze with that kind of effort, but it will just be enough for med school!

Dippo
Jan 29, 2004, 09:58 AM
If you think Pre-Med is bad, wait till you get to med school!

hamfist
Jan 29, 2004, 11:41 AM
try law school. you just have to study, study, study. 24/7/365. it is never ending. it doesn't end after graduation. we walked on monday night and tuesday morning at 7:30 we began studying for the bar exam. once you take (and hopefully pass) the bar, you get to work 70-80 hours/week until you give up or develope some sort of chemical dependency (that's our version of residency). my sympathies. just keep a positive outlook and hope your malpractice rates come down.

mactastic
Jan 29, 2004, 11:50 AM
Aww yeah! We'd go for 2 or 3 days without sleep getting projects ready for critique when I was doing my architecture degree. And you had to be coherent and able to defend your design against professors who HAD to find fault with yoru design or they'd feel like you were too close to their level. Only occasionally would you get good criticism of your design proposal. And most likely you were too tired to listen!

And, like you, I get to study for a lovely series of tests over the next 3 years to get my license now that I've graduated. It never stops does it? Oh and the long hours that come with the work too. But I really enjoy what I do, so I'd have to say if you enjoy it, don't worry. You'll be happy doing what you do for a living which is more than a lot of people can say....

Counterfit
Jan 29, 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
Aww yeah! We'd go for 2 or 3 days without sleep getting projects ready for critique when I was doing my architecture degree. One of my roommates is an architecture major, and I don't think I've ever seen him go to bed before 2AM.
My rant: I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD. I hate AutoCAD.

mactastic
Jan 29, 2004, 12:31 PM
Lol, 'round here people look for architecture students as roomates because they know they'll never be home except to use the bed.

And AutoCad's not that bad. It just sucks because they haven't ported it to OS X yet.:(

keroppiandbear
Jan 29, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hello there fellow MAC users, I was wondering what is a good beginner's pre-medical software? I need something thats gonna cover Bio "1" and human anatomy and physiology.....PLEASE HELP. Thank u.

Counterfit
Jan 29, 2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
Lol, 'round here people look for architecture students as roomates because they know they'll never be home except to use the bed.

And AutoCad's not that bad. It just sucks because they haven't ported it to OS X yet.:( I never want to see AutoCAD again in my life. Unfortunately, my mother doesn't listen to me, and I have to take a class in it this semester. I'm going to drop it if I can later on though.

mactastic
Jan 29, 2004, 04:34 PM
What bugs you so much about AutoCad?

Angelus
Jan 29, 2004, 04:54 PM
I'm studying medicine in UCC,Ireland.
we don't have pre-med anymore.Our degree course has been shortened to five years and 1 year internship.
I'm in 2nd med right now and i must admit it's tough going.I'd say that i do about 6 hours study a day on average and i'm normally not home til about 8-9pm.
Right now im studying neuroanatomy and embryology cos we have an exam on wednesday that's worth 50% of our overall mark for the year.
I must admit that i never really liked our biochem modules(in fact i hated them) but thats because they were very badly taught.

tpjunkie
Jan 29, 2004, 04:55 PM
I'm scared of taking orgo for two terms next year! I hate hate hate chem! Organic and me ain't gonna be a pretty combination

jefhatfield
Jan 30, 2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
I figured it had to be started at some point...I just pulled an all-nighter studying for my Intro Biochem course. I have a Multivariable Integration quiz in a couple hours. Life sucks for the pre-med.

How about you fellow pre-meds? Where do you go to school? What frustrated you about pre-med? Complain, complain!

As for me, I'm at Northwestern, and I believe I have already done my fair share of complaining.

(oh, this is also a thread welcome to those who would like to extol the rigor of science education and make fun of the comm studies majors who don't do anything at all ever ;))

depending on who you are, science majors could be a lot easier than communications related majors

science in general uses some universal concepts and math is an international language

but with an increasing amount of foreign students studying in america, often the majors that they can succeed with in college are those science based degrees and not the communication based degrees

for those of you who don't come from a foreign non english speaking country or don't have parents from elsewhere, english is probably the hardest language in the world to learn and even harder to master on a level suitable for college study...the english language is widely spoken but its rules and breaking of those rules of grammar are a nightmare for esl learners

sometimes i do see a brave soul from a non english speaking country major in a communications or humanities degree but a major such as that would involve more reading and more writing and be prohibitive

my uncle came to the united states from japan and without knowing how to speak english very well, he got his degree in english and he spent his college years sleeping four hours a night and was fully aware that he majored in the hardest subject any japanese student could have possibly picked...in his day, there were not available resources in japan to learn english and sometimes shakespearean english was all that was available in japan...now imagine coming to america with almost no background in english, but knowing some basic rules of shakespearean english, and then trying to embark on an english degree :eek:

jefhatfield
Jan 30, 2004, 07:00 AM
some people have lives and like their hobbies/activities and major in something that will give them a lot of free time in school and in life after school

i liked to play music and when i was in school, i liked to also have time for religious activities so i majored in business because it was the easiest major i could find...it didn't require as much reading as the english majors or as much math as the math and science majors...and it gave me the most free time during school and unless i became a ceo or high ranking mba, i could get a job and have two days off a week...lawyers and doctors don't have that luxury

i had a friend who studied hard in engineering school for his master's, but he purposely studied engineering in grad school instead of medicine because he wanted to have a career, yet be able to sleep long hours...even though my firend is smart and has a good job now for many years as an engineer, he needs, or likes to sleep no less than ten hours a night, every night

he knew he would make more as a doctor (instead of being a senior engineer for 60k) but he also knew that there was no way he could practice medicine as an md and sleep ten hours a night

:p

also another thing to consider: there is no such thing as a retired doctor

because an md's job deals with patients that trust you and life and death is on the line daily, when you retire you will still have to make house calls and do whatever your patient needs and don't think for a second you can reach a certain age, have money, and then enjoy it

i worked at the local hospital where i grew up and all the doctors i had as a child were still working even though they were technically supposed to be retired...they all had a reduced load in their so called retirement and i used to see them reading off info to transcribers in a doctor's private cubicle on the graveyard shift and making visits to er when a patient they knew and treated all their life went into er

we would sometimes find some of the old retired doctors passed out in their soundproof cubicles sleeping in their whites with their suit on underneath...no way to spend a retirement and basically the doctors who do actually cease to work in their field do so by dying

the medical profession requires no less than a lifelong dedication to the craft and don't think doctors hit the golf courses on sunday...because i don't see them there :p