Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
It would be pretty cool, a Wide Screen 15" version (like the Powerbook) I am not sure if a 17 or a 19" will ever be made.

Ensign

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
ok, so I had some fun in Photoshop:

Attachments

• imacwide.jpg
    imacwide.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 4,347

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
17 and 19 inch versions. Seems unlikely to me at this time. Why would apple place the lower margin iMac into the realm of the high margin powermacs. They would be rather expensive as well, considering they aren't expandable. I would think they would either eat into the powermac sales, or just flop because people who want to pay that much for a computer want more than the iMac can offer. Plus, its selling just fine as it is right now. larger screens will probably happen eventually, but I'm very skepticle, espcially fo the 19", for the immediate future.

and what kind of source is that. A report from taiwan? At least they could have said an inside source. For all we know its just some guy on the street who made it up.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
almost the4 same as a an article previously posted, once by itself and once in another thread, but here's my opinion I previously posted:

"17 and 19 inch versions. Seems unlikely to me at this time. Why would apple place the lower margin iMac into the realm of the high margin powermacs. They would be rather expensive as well, considering they aren't expandable. I would think they would either eat into the powermac sales, or just flop because people who want to pay that much for a computer want more than the iMac can offer. Plus, its selling just fine as it is right now. larger screens will probably happen eventually, but I'm very skepticle, espcially fo the 19", for the immediate future.

and what kind of source is that. A report from taiwan? At least they could have said an inside source. For all we know its just some guy on the street who made it up."

I think the cost would be so high to the consumer it would suffer the same fate as the cube, it wouldn't have any real market for a non upgradeable, limited in power $2500+ computer that can't even use a bigger monitor if you wanted to.

At least this article tries to make the source sound legit, but this really sounds completely bogus to me. but hey, maybe apple will surprise me.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if you think about it, if this is true, Apple's making the LCD iMac a viable low end professional machine by upping the res and screen size. It might indicate that the new Pro line will either be more expensive or more powerful than expected (could be both...)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I would say maybe a 17" at the MOST, but certainly not a 19". It would simply be too topheavy. They'd have to broaden the base at least by a few inches, and I don't see Apple doing that.

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Right now it would be too expensive for the consumer line. If Apple is right and the LCDs become cheaper at the end of this year, it would be nice...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
As I said in the other thread on this, at the most there could be a 17" screen. Anyone want to try Photoshoping a 19" on an iMac base? That thing would fall over! It would be way too top heavy, and the metal arm in back would have to be enlarged and reinforced, the base would have to be broadened... I just can't see it happening.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
As I said in the other thread on this, at the most there could be a 17" screen. Anyone want to try Photoshoping a 19" on an iMac base? That thing would fall over! It would be way too top heavy, and the metal arm in back would have to be enlarged and reinforced, the base would have to be broadened... I just can't see it happening.

I actually doubt it falling over would be a big problem. Granted I've never lifted a 19" display before, but one would think the base would still be heavy enough (and it is quite heavy) to keep it pretty firmly planted. Bigger problems in my mind would be making sure the adjustable arm had enough tension to support the extra weight, and the fact that it would become more expensive than the powermacs.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
17" at most, more than that would look abnormal. But to me realistic a wide 15" would be the next step for shure.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mymemory
17" at most, more than that would look abnormal. But to me realistic a wide 15" would be the next step for shure.

Well, that maybe where they're going, all across the line wide format. That would mean the 15" would be 17" and the 17" would be 19", I'd go for that and it would be nice to have that extra bit, especially if they can keep the 19" below 1k, they do well.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I think that a 19 inch is just way to far fetched. A 17 inch may be plausible, but I agree that the 15.2 widescreen will be very reasonable. I personally would love to see that. I think that I could talk the Mrs. into it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
im not syaing they will do it or not but hemingray's comment is just wrong.

they most certainly wouldnt need to widen the base or strengthen the arm. if you think so you obviously havent seen an imac yet. it is very sturdy and would probably even hold a 22" if apple were crazy enough to use one.

the only way this is happen is if those powermacs are very amazing (which is possible).

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

they most certainly wouldnt need to widen the base or strengthen the arm. if you think so you obviously havent seen an imac yet. it is very sturdy and would probably even hold a 22" if apple were crazy enough to use one.

the only way this is happen is if those powermacs are very amazing (which is possible).

I have to go with lemon here. If they wanted to, they could put anything on the iMac. It would hold up just about any type of LCD, especially if it was a thinline. Now, that being said, although I don't believe these rumors, they would mean that the PowerMacs would be insane in specs. that would be very, very cool.

That is unless they are going to make a PoweriMac?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You've got to be kidding, a 22" display is HEAVY, almost as heavy as the entire imac (including the 15" screen). To put a 22" on it would be overkill, the imac's arm would slip forward and probably end up 'leaning' on the screen.

A 17" would probably be fine but still, the whole arm would have to be redesigned due to the tension.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by JoeG4
You've got to be kidding, a 22" display is HEAVY, almost as heavy as the entire imac (including the 15" screen). To put a 22" on it would be overkill, the imac's arm would slip forward and probably end up 'leaning' on the screen.

A 17" would probably be fine but still, the whole arm would have to be redesigned due to the tension.

Yea, they would have to weight the base down for the 22, but that will never, ever happen. Now the 17 would not require the arm, or the base to be redesigned at all. Maybe, maybe a tension increase, but I doubt it.

Still, I don't think this rumor is going to hold water in the long haul.

agent302

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by Backtothemac
I think that a 19 inch is just way to far fetched. A 17 inch may be plausible, but I agree that the 15.2 widescreen will be very reasonable. I personally would love to see that. I think that I could talk the Mrs. into it.

Actually, the most likely (if it were to be widescreen), would be a 17 inch widescreen, but not in the way most people here seem to be thinking. The 15.2 inch screen in the Powerbook is really just a normal 14 inch screen that has pixels added to the side. So a 17 inch widescreen could be the same height as a 15 screen, but wider. Remember, the screen measurement is diagonal inches, so making a screen the same height but wider makes the diagonal length bigger.

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
The Register has been posting some tall ones lately. I guess the 19" iMac will be coming out with the 1.5ghz G4 at MWNY. :rolleyes:

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Love the idea of a 19-incher but...

D'ya think that both RAM slots would be accessible by a user instead of just one? And maybe an option to have the optical drive part rotate to the left or right so one doesn't have to drop the keyboard in one's lap when changing disks?

And perhaps offer a slot for a Pyro PlatinumDV board for all us video-folk...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The 17" is plausible, feasible, and almost inevitable. The 19"? Wellllll....we'll see. It'd be nice, but we'll see if they can make it affordable enough to justify it. And to throw another two cents in, the base could easily support it and any arm redesign would be minor.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Love the idea of a 19-incher but...

D'ya think that both RAM slots would be accessible by a user instead of just one? And maybe an option to have the optical drive part rotate to the left or right so one doesn't have to drop the keyboard in one's lap when changing disks?

What spongy surface are you setting your iMac on? With the flippy foot thing lowered/extended on the keyboard, on a flat surface, you cannot get the CD/DVD door on a G4 iMac to hit the keyboard. I thought perhaps I was just lucky with mine, so I verified this on the 3 display units at CompUSA next door.. none of them are any different.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

I beg to differ. I have seen and examined the new iMac quite carefully. That arm was designed with that monitor size in mind, and MAYBE a 17". But a 19"? I don't think so.

My comment isn't any more wrong that yours until you can prove me wrong. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.