Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Hey Guys

I just came back from the Apple Store with the new version of Bose SoundDock. It sounds great. Being a non-audiophile, do any of you know where is the optimal place to put my new speakers? This is my first piece of audio equipment that is "single" piece, I'm used to listening to music through two separate (L+R) speakers. Since there's only one piece of this Bose thing, where should I put it in my small bedroom to make it sound best.

Cheers for any input!

:)

bildio

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
New Jersey
I "aim" the center of my SoundDock I at my listening position.

Do you have a 2g touch? If so, does the SoundDock II charge the 2g touch?

bildio

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
New Jersey
I "aim" the center of my SoundDock I at my listening position.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Hey Guys

I just came back from the Apple Store with the new version of Bose SoundDock. It sounds great. Being a non-audiophile, do any of you know where is the optimal place to put my new speakers? This is my first piece of audio equipment that is "single" piece, I'm used to listening to music through two separate (L+R) speakers. Since there's only one piece of this Bose thing, where should I put it in my small bedroom to make it sound best.

Cheers for any input! :)
Put it somewhere where you can hear it. ;) Also, don't align parallel or perpendicular with any walls in the room to reduce reflected sounds.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok

Yep it works flawlessly (also charges the iPhone 3G). I previously bought a Klipsch iGroove SXT but exchanged it to this Bose unit because it was not charging my 2g touch.

Put it somewhere where you can hear it. ;) Also, don't align parallel or perpendicular with any walls in the room to reduce reflected sounds.

Thanks for the tips :D

stuartt41

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2007
what the unit sits on is more important

the most important thing is probably what the unit sits on. like all small sound sources, for it to sound best it needs to think it is massive, so it needs to sit on something heavy, preferably attached to that thing by bluetack. A good quality chopping board would be good, ash if possible. if you really want to go overboard, then put the chopping board on bubble wrap which will totally insulate it from ambients, so no feedback. the wood should warm up the sound, which is always a problem with playing digital music. enjoy.

Elloise

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I'd put it as central as possible, and forget about it. Bose gear tends to fill a room well, the advice on keeping it away from side on walls and recesses is sound, if you'll excuse the pun.

I'd never really thought about the surface before, but from experience in mounting speakers on walls I've found that in some cases this can amplify the bass and muddy the sound, so I now try to avoid placing speakers on shelves also. This was all long before my days of chopping board ownership however, I'll have to check that out!

As an self confessed non-audiophile you really shouldn't worry too much more about your speakers; Your quality of source material will probably be the most offensive component to a perfectionist, so just stick on some tunes and enjoy your new toy; I'm sure it's going to sound great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.