PDA

View Full Version : They Actually Made the Price Higher!

Chrisrokc
Oct 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Check this,

The only mid range Macbook at $1299. You would get a $100 off for being a college student.

Now they only give you $50 off. After taxes (unless you had a dramatic tax percentage drop) you are paying more.

I like buying from the Apple Store, but this time I may wait till they show up on Amazon or MacMall so I can pay $1299 instead of $1353.

Thoughts?

Munitalp
Oct 14, 2008, 01:53 PM
So much for the bad economy lowering prices, eh :o

mike...
Oct 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
We get 133 off ($233USD) the cheapest Al Macbook in the UK. Guess that's something to smile about :)

Munitalp
Oct 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
We get 133 off ($233USD) the cheapest Al Macbook in the UK. Guess that's something to smile about :)

Yeah, in the U.S. we only get $100 :(

LouisBlack
Oct 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, here in the UK the entry level white Macbook is 20 more expensive than it was a few hours ago... that's a bit of a let down. I was hoping for a 600 Macbook... weird.

The Al Macbook is dramatically more expensive. It starts at 950 as opposed to the 850 mid level Macbook.

wallstreetcrash
Oct 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, here in the UK the entry level white Macbook is 20 more expensive than it was a few hours ago... that's a bit of a let down. I was hoping for a 600 Macbook... weird.

It now has Super-Drive.

But I am equally as dissapointed at the prices :( Though not dissapointed at the MB range.

LouisBlack
Oct 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
It now has Super-Drive.

Apple were taking the piss by including a Combo drive anyway so even with a Superdrive, it's still a little ridiculous.

I suppose everyone got lulled into a false sense of security with Apple's recent tendency of reducing prices.

amac4me
Oct 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't think students who were holding off their purchase are going to be thrilled. Many were expecting price reductions. Now the new models don't offer as much of a discount. Interesting move by Apple.

PinkHappy
Oct 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
I don't think students who were holding off their purchase are going to be thrilled. Many were expecting price reductions. Now the new models don't offer as much of a discount. Interesting move by Apple.

This is me. Even if the new prices weren't going to be cheaper, I was expecting the education discount to be the same.

mike...
Oct 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
This is me. Even if the new prices weren't going to be cheaper, I was expecting the education discount to be the same.

The education discount is the same (133 off the base aluminium Macbook), plus a 95 iPod rebate, plus a 60 printer rebate, plus a free Applecare upgrade (that's a 3 year warranty).

PinkHappy
Oct 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
The education discount is the same (133 off the base aluminium Macbook), plus a 95 iPod rebate, plus a 60 printer rebate, plus a free Applecare upgrade (that's a 3 year warranty).

Not in the US. :( It's only $100 discount and then $100 rebate for a printer only, if I'm not mistaken.

iNawaf
Oct 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
Can i get student's discount from bestbuy for macbook?
:rolleyes:

Vulcan
Oct 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
It's sad that Apple had raised the prices on these things :(

marbles
Oct 14, 2008, 02:47 PM

I'm presuming you mean you mean the higher education discount available only from on campus .....which sucks if your study is via the OU or some such institution .

but yeah , not really impressed with Apple , they're going to take a big hit on share prices now , never mind "the short term" that was mentioned regarding profit margin , this is bad and wheres the frikken Mini update ...I ask ye

iNawaf
Oct 14, 2008, 03:48 PM

Could anyone answer this question :rolleyes:?

sneeks
Oct 14, 2008, 03:57 PM
Why exactly has the UK basic MacBook risen in price by 20 rather than dropping in line with the $100 reduction that was announced? The reduction included the superdrive so that should not be relevant.

mamcx
Oct 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
You are so lucky.

Here, in colombia, the average sales price for any laptop in any brand is something like 1.5-2.0 millon Colombian Pesos. But this news macbooks, entry level, are starting in 4.0 millons COP!!!!...

And that is forgetting that all entry models here are 15"!!!

For the record, 1'COP is twice the average salary here...

Jpoon
Oct 14, 2008, 04:13 PM
Well, I suppose that's why Apple doesn't heavily advertise in Columbia >_<

dinaluvsApple
Oct 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
IMO i think i like the price increase, honestly apple used to be a premium retailer and i think they lost that catering with cheap ipod lines.

if you want a cheap laptop get a dell or hp.

this is a premium product and i dont want the image of the product to be absolved through market dillution.

why do u think BMW or Land Rover(until that indian company bought it) make cheap models, because they dont want certain people to have them and ruin the image.

sananda
Oct 14, 2008, 04:23 PM
Why exactly has the UK basic MacBook risen in price by 20 rather than dropping in line with the $100 reduction that was announced? The reduction included the superdrive so that should not be relevant.

they have taken the opportunity to adjust the UK price as they did with the new nano. does it reflect a change in exchange rates?

EricNau
Oct 14, 2008, 04:24 PM
No, you cannot.

robpow
Oct 14, 2008, 04:28 PM
they have taken the opportunity to adjust the UK price as they did with the new nano. does it reflect a change in exchange rates?Indeed. If Apple had not taken a hit and absorbed some of the exchange rate fluctuation the white MB should have gone up another 100. Maybe we should be thanking Apple instead of slating them...

Matt

marbles
Oct 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
IMO i think i like the price increase, honestly apple used to be a premium retailer and i think they lost that catering with cheap ipod lines.

if you want a cheap laptop get a dell or hp.

this is a premium product and i dont want the image of the product to be absolved through market dillution.

why do u think BMW or Land Rover(until that indian company bought it) make cheap models, because they dont want certain people to have them and ruin the image.
L O L :rolleyes: :p

apple paycheck next Friday by any chance ??

tamini
Oct 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well, it was expected with aluminum cases, backlit whatnot, and the failing economy (inflation!). The parts they used to make the new Macbook + new graphics card are probably more expensive. Beauty comes with a price (even though I don't like the look of the new MBs, blah). :/