PDA

View Full Version : converting MIDI files to mp3

phreakout13
Jan 29, 2004, 01:05 PM
Hi
I downloaded some MIDI music files for my iPod, but apparently the iPod can't read them. Can I convert them to mp3 files or something that the iPod can read? Thanks!

hvfsl
Jan 29, 2004, 02:07 PM
I think iTunes will do it, I know iTunes can read midi files, but I am not sure if it can convert them. iMovie can convert them, but it is not the best program to use for sound convertion.

WinterMute
Jan 29, 2004, 03:44 PM
Different things... MIDI is a control language for synths, samplers etc. it doesn't contain any audio information.

Quicktime will play MIDI files via the QT music synth, and apps like Logic, reason and I guess Garage Band will as well, they use the info to play the programmed music with their own audio generators.

MP3 is an audio codec, the files contain audio info.

iTunes can't convert MIDI to anything, that's like turning lead to gold.

You'll need a MIDI player and record it's audio output.

hvfsl
Jan 29, 2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
Different things... MIDI is a control language for synths, samplers etc. it doesn't contain any audio information.

Quicktime will play MIDI files via the QT music synth, and apps like Logic, reason and I guess Garage Band will as well, they use the info to play the programmed music with their own audio generators.

MP3 is an audio codec, the files contain audio info.

iTunes can't convert MIDI to anything, that's like turning lead to gold.

You'll need a MIDI player and record it's audio output.

Well I have just done that, I have over 300midi files that I use in my iMovies.

If you want to convert a midi to AAC in iTunes. Then select the midi file in iTunes, then select 'Convert Seletion to AAC' in the 'Advanced' menu.

I know what midi is, but what iTunes does is to basically record the sound of the computer playing the midi file, then convert it to AAC.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 29, 2004, 06:07 PM
I guess GarageBand will probably do this conversion the best. After all, it has pretty good MIDI sounds (ones that were probably added due to GarageBand). Export to iTunes as an AIFF and then convert to MP3/AAC in iTunes.