Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant7783

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Is there a real big difference between the top line macbook vs the low end macbook pro on the new models

As of right now I am using my PC for photoshop and basic everyday computer use. I may in the future want to do some video editing.

I am finally making the switch to a mac and am looking for any insight on which way I should go.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Is there a real big difference between the top line macbook vs the low end macbook pro on the new models

As of right now I am using my PC for photoshop and basic everyday computer use. I may in the future want to do some video editing.

I am finally making the switch to a mac and am looking for any insight on which way I should go.

Better video card (actually, 2 of them), firewire, bigger display. The RAM and HDD are not a big deal because you can always update those as you need them. You have to ask yourself if FW and a bigger display with better graphics is worth another $400. (Not to mention the faster CPU.)

ant7783

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I was also thinking about the 1299 model, basically I lose out on 90 gb of hard drive space, processor speed and backlight keys, when comparing the 2 macbook models.

Will I have any problems running photoshop on the 1299 model

My only real other concern is the difference between the 13.3 screen size as opposed to the 15.4 screen size on the pro models, who those that have used both sizes does the size difference really make a big difference

killianb

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
UK
I was also thinking about the 1299 model, basically I lose out on 90 gb of hard drive space, processor speed and backlight keys, when comparing the 2 macbook models.

Will I have any problems running photoshop on the 1299 model

My only real other concern is the difference between the 13.3 screen size as opposed to the 15.4 screen size on the pro models, who those that have used both sizes does the size difference really make a big difference

I've previously had a MacBook and am now using a MacBook Pro. The screen size is much better, for everything. You can't beat having a big screen. However, I do miss the 13.3" when I'm taking it around. I know it's only 2 inches but the MacBook was much better for portability.

I don't think you've have a problem using Photoshop on either model. I used Photoshop on the white MacBook and had no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.