PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else unimpressed?

Petoz
Oct 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
Not with the new macbooks/pros themselves, but with the fact the entire lines weren't changed?

If you are looking for a cheap macbook, you still have to get the white one. the old odel. And the price has increased! What is that about?! Also, if you want the 17" Macbook Pro, you have to have the old model too. Not the new ones.

The top end 13" Macbook and the lower end 15" Macbook Pro are essentially the same. Just screen size difference. Yet they are apparently different, in that one is being marketed as a macbook, and the other as a pro.

To me it seems they have created a new line in the middle. With their new design of notebooks, and kept the cheapest "white" macbook the same, and the larger macbook pro the same.

I feel as though I am just ranting now, but it does not feel correct. The lineup of notebooks is no longer clearly distinguished, and the old designs remain.

What do other people think about this?

noisebleed
Oct 14, 2008, 03:24 PM
top end 15 that the 13 doesn't have

- higher resolution ( this matters )
- faster processor
- firewire port
- 512mb 9600m geforce and 256mb 9400m geforce
- 320gb hd
- 4gb of ram

you = fail

Phillyzero
Oct 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
If you are looking for a cheap macbook, you still have to get the white one. the old model. And the price has increased! What is that about?!
Yeah, it would've been nice had the prediction of a competitive priced notebook come true (or a mac netbook, that'd be my dream ;))

Beric
Oct 14, 2008, 03:33 PM

- faster processor
- firewire port
- 320gb hd
- 4gb of ram

you = fail

Higher resolution because of a larger screen.
Faster processor for a MAJOR price. :rolleyes:
Firewire port. Isn't this standard everywhere?
A graphics card doesn't cost much.
A bigger HD. great. If you don't buy from Apple, this cost nothing.
4GB Ram. Very cheap outside of Apple.

Compare the old MB with the new MBP, and you see how little you get for another $1000.

Petoz
Oct 14, 2008, 03:34 PM

- faster processor
- firewire port
- 320gb hd
- 4gb of ram

you = fail

I am well aware the higher end 15" MBP has these features. But the lower end does not. That was kind of my point. There is little to distinguish the lower end MBP and the higher end MB, except the screen size.

I think my biggest disappointment is the fact the old designs have remained, and in the UK, the price has increased for Apple's cheapest laptop.

belvdr
Oct 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I don't get much out of this either. I really hoped they would have updated the Mini, but then again, I want something small for the living room.

mlemonds
Oct 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
i am impressed.

i think that the redesigns are good and i am glad to see the dual video processor (something that sony has done for a long time) The new touchpad will take some getting used to, but I am looking forward to trying. I think that the glass screen will have some major glare issues, and there will be someone to make a screen protector / film to go over it just like on the iPhone. After having to go to an apple store twice to replace the infamous cracking palm-rest, i am glad to see aluminum in the MacBook line.

I will definitely miss firewire in the MacBooks and am waiting to see how they deal with an angry mob of consumers that really want that port back.

Overall i think it has been a good day.

noisebleed
Oct 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Higher resolution because of a larger screen.
Faster processor for a MAJOR price. :rolleyes:
Firewire port. Isn't this standard everywhere?
A graphics card doesn't cost much.
A bigger HD. great. If you don't buy from Apple, this cost nothing.
4GB Ram. Very cheap outside of Apple.

Compare the old MB with the new MBP, and you see how little you get for another $1000.

wow. lol.

wow.

Petoz
Oct 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
i am impressed.

i think that the redesigns are good and i am glad to see the dual video processor (something that sony has done for a long time) The new touchpad will take some getting used to, but I am looking forward to trying. I think that the glass screen will have some major glare issues, and there will be someone to make a screen protector / film to go over it just like on the iPhone. After having to go to an apple store twice to replace the infamous cracking palm-rest, i am glad to see aluminum in the MacBook line.

I will definitely miss firewire in the MacBooks and am waiting to see how they deal with an angry mob of consumers that really want that port back.

Overall i think it has been a good day.

I agree with you. The new designs are good. As are the new features. And I would still love one to sit next to my iMac. But it is that fact the old ones are still available. The macbooks and MBPs have the same design. And similar features. And the cheapest laptop has increased in price in the UK. That is why i am a bit unimpressed.

brettinlj
Oct 14, 2008, 03:55 PM
I am impressed with the design, features and the innovation. I am unimpressed with the specs and the price. Sounds like an Apple product.