Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Does anyone know if the new macbooks video card specs can handle intense final cut express work?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Old Macbooks could handle FCE. The video card in them is more than fine for FCE. Good luck getting video on a new Macbook without Firewire though.

If you have a DV or HDV camera, you are better off with the white Macbook.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Again, unless you can capture footage from DV or HDV cameras on another computer, the new Macbook may run FCS or FCE great, but without content it doesn't matter.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you think about the capabilities/specs of Firewire, an Ethernet to Firewire adapter seems impossible.

With Firewire you can control your video camera, also a computer with Firewire has a dedicated Firewire controller so your CPU isn't doing the legwork during large transfers (as is with USB.) How any of this could be emulated over an ethernet port I have no idea.

All this seems to add up to a big FAIL with the new MacBook and video editing for many users. It's a real shame since the new GPU probably makes the MacBook suitable for even FCP.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I doubt the new MBs have an issue with FCE, and prolly cope well with FCS.

It will most likely run the program, but even with FCS on the system, you won't be able to do much without FW. USB struggles with a simple 25Mb/s DV stream. There is no way you can playback ProRes, AIC, DVCProHD, or XDCam on the new macbook. worthless...

fxstb2002

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Would a MBP be better, or does the graphics card matter that much (i.e. is it all CPU?)

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Would a MBP be better, or does the graphics card matter that much (i.e. is it all CPU?)

I was just wondering b/c I purchased a mbpro last year b/c it was said the old mb's couldnt run FCE well. I didn't know they could w/o dedicated graphics.

Oh well...I like my mbpro now, but I wish I'd known that last year.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Firewire over ethernet is part of the Firewire ratified specs.

Adapter: http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=125_TC-NTUF&cat=50

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

That's an attachment for a bloody cable tester! Read the rest of the page you linked to.

If you look at wiki for fw-over-ethernet, you will see it needs special hardware in the ethernet port, and there is no existing chipset with this facility.

It's been pointed out 100x on these forums. Apple may or may not bring back FW in 2009, but for now, FW on a macbook is dead. :( :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.