Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I know everyone worries this, but I think I am going to order my powerbook on monday, and wouldn't want any price drop to happen if i order it!

So heres what I think im going to get, tell me what you think!

Order from the apple education store:

15 inch powerbook combo drive

512 ram (2x256)

80 gig hard drive

subtotal $1,957

thinking of adding a mini i-pod for music as well?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
don't add the ram from apple. order with one DIMM 256 and just buy a stick of 512 MB afterwards from a 3rd party. (crucial, i recommend personally.) for the same $100 extra, you'll end up with 768 instead of 512 MB.

otherwise, looks good, though i don't know much about potential price drops. it may happen, it may not. who knows... it's probably due for one, but i know you probably wouldn't want to wait.

also, ipod mini won't be shipping until mid-feb, fyi.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Is it hard to install the ram yourself? I have done so on a pc with no trouble, but never on a laptop. Also, should I order direct from apple, or go thorough my university? I think they would just order it from apple anyway. Thanks!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Al 15" (as opposed to Ti) would be pc2700.

installing the ram is no more difficult than for the desktop.

check the price for your university. they may offer a little bit better deal. for example, i know for a fact Univ. of Michigan (where i work) has a deal for the 15" for its students.

you can check the apple website for detailed instructions in pdf format of how to change your ram.

http://www.dealram.com
http://www.crucial.com
for ram, i go for crucial, more expensive but they have great quality and warranty

as for the price drops, im sure almost every mac officiando is wating to know. so your in the same boat as us. they are due for an upgrade, but unless its to a g5 spending on a g4 seems just silly

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the help guys. MSU doesn't offer any better deals, so should i just order direct from apple? How long do you think it would take? I will take your advice and buy the 512 ram from crucial. thanks for the advice!

Don

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if MSU = michigan state and you could deal with 60 GB HD (i.e. "stock" 1 GHz 15"), then the quickest way is to go to Novi, MI apple store. that's 30 min. drive from lansing and you'll get your edu. discount right there.

if you are at mississippi state, then i can't help you. order online... should take maybe two weeks, at most? it's BTO with 80 GB HD so, i'm not sure.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
yes, its michigan state, but dont worry, I like u of m too :) yeah i guess i could deal with the 60 gig hard drive, I would probably get an external hard drive anyway. Thanks!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by lazyboy922
yes, its michigan state, but dont worry, I like u of m too :) yeah i guess i could deal with the 60 gig hard drive, I would probably get an external hard drive anyway. Thanks!

OT: yeah, i'm an U of M alum, but have no problems with people actually affiliated with MSU hating U of M. what i can't stand is a random Michiganite, who just happen to pick MSU (instead of U of M) as their favorite, hating/mocking U of M. they have no stake in it!

enjoy your computer!

Vashti

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
New York, NY
Wait!

You should definitely wait. There have been a lot of rumors that there will be a price drop on Monday or Tuesday. Good luck.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Too late , I went and bought my baby last night! Thanks jxyama, I was in class at 6 last night with our crappy old macs, when I got so pissed off from the computer freezing up, i got up and went straight to the twelve oaks mall! It was the greatest experience ever, the place was so nice and salesmen so helpful and not pushy at all. THey said I had 10 (or 14?) days that they will honor any price drop. I love my new powerbook! thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.