PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl+Alt+Delete inventer jab at Gates

Kid Red
Jan 29, 2004, 02:29 PM
Quote of the day :)

"I didn't know it was going to be a cultural icon," Bradley said. "I did a lot of other things than Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but I'm famous for that one."

His fame depends on the failures of others.

At a 20-year celebration for the IBM PC, Bradley was on a panel with Microsoft founder Bill Gates (news - web sites) and other tech icons. The discussion turned to the keys.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said.

Gates didn't laugh. The key combination also is used when software, such as Microsoft's Windows operating system, fails.

sethypoo
Jan 29, 2004, 02:51 PM
That's great. That's just great. :D

sethypoo
Jan 29, 2004, 02:54 PM
Here's the link, for those of us that want the whole story.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=1&u=/ap/ctrlaltdelete_man

mac15
Jan 29, 2004, 06:32 PM
Thats hardly a Jab at Bill

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 29, 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by mac15
Thats hardly a Jab at Bill But it still seemed to get him kind of pissed.:D

Awimoway
Jan 29, 2004, 07:07 PM
That's a great jab at Bill. It's hilarious. Too bad Gates has no sense of humor himself, or he'd laugh too. Surely he knows how undeniably true it is.

jrv3034
Jan 29, 2004, 07:32 PM
Isn't it amazing that most everyone knows what Ctrl-Alt-Del does? This means that most people deal with their PC freezing often. You'd think folks would get a hint and say: "Hmm, I wonder if computers HAVE to be this unreliable? I hear Macs don't crash much... I wonder...";)

phreakout13
Jan 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
Isn't it amazing that most everyone knows what Ctrl-Alt-Del does? This means that most people deal with their PC freezing often.

I have a Mac and I just learned what Ctrl-Alt-Del does a minute ago from this thread. I've missed out on so much. At least I have command-option-esc.

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 12:39 AM
I just pushed Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what happens, and it made my mouse pointer disappear. Moving the mouse brought it straight back again.

slowtreme
Jan 31, 2004, 10:28 AM
Macs have just as many, if not more, arcane key combinations that go back to the first macs. Jobs wanted to have a keyboard shortcut for every menu option, as well as ways to reset and break code.

MrMacMan
Feb 1, 2004, 01:31 AM
haha, congrads man.

you helped windows users for billions of years to come to help them unlock their frozen system...

Now where is the creator of the Blue Screen of Death when you need him?

:p

Thom_Edwards
Feb 1, 2004, 11:53 AM
i work for an educational software company, so we support both mac and windows users. i get plenty of totally computer-illiterate people calling in with ALL kinds of problems. you hear stuff like, "i double-clicked it and nothing happened, but when it started i couldn't get into it." no kidding. i had one lady tell me the other day she was on a dell. i asked which os she was using, and she said os 9. another lady was using windows 97. (no slam against teachers, it's just funny to me...)

anyway, what's so crazy is *everybody* from the windows camp knows ctrl+alt+del. you hear "the computer froze so i pressed ctrl+alt+del," like it's just automatic. but if a mac user gets a freeze, they never know cmd+opt+esc. probably because their machines freeze so rarely, they have never had to use it!

bousozoku
Feb 1, 2004, 02:51 PM
It's pretty simple. Ctrl+Alt+Del worked on practically everything from dead applications to restarting the system. Of course, if the keyboard isn't working, you're in trouble.

I remember trying to do the reset on my Wallstreet PowerBook. It felt like I was playing Twister. :D

Powerbook G5
Feb 1, 2004, 03:48 PM
The best is when you are in DOS and it says "Keyboard not detected. Press any key to continue." Oh, how I miss my PC days...oh, so much.

I can't remember the last time I ever had to press command+option+escape, but yet, I remember ctrl+alt+del so much that I could do it with my eyes closed on any keyboard and know exactly where each of those keys were.

mkrishnan
Feb 1, 2004, 06:12 PM
I think it was nothing less than a stroke of genius to lift ctrl-alt-delete from crash control to logging in (in NT or Win 2k). Right up there with clicking "Start" to power down.

I remember there was another great Microsoft jibe when computer chronicles on PBS, or whatever it was called, had a gameshow with celebrity contestants (including Gates).

There was a question on the name of an annual contest based on the Rube Goldberg concept to write the longest, most elaborate code, to accomplish a simple task through unnecessary steps. The guy who was up didn't know, so he said "Microsoft Windows." Everyone but Gates found it rather funny.... :D