Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you intend to buy a new MacBook before they keynote, but now you aren't?

• I was going to buy one, and I still am!

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • I was going to buy one, but now I don't think so.

Votes: 57 47.9%
  • I was never going to buy a new MacBook

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I was completely intending to buy a new MacBook thinking it would have a display similar to the Air's (without the black border) but now I don't think I'm going to pick one up at all due to the display alone. I would have totally settled for the glossy LED display, but no, they had to take it up a notch and make it even more reflective. :(

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
i was going to get one, until it didn't have fw on it... but thats ok, cause i got the last gen mbp for $1350.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I live in the UK and the price for specs are simply too high. I want one but i am not paying 1,200 pounds for the one of my choice, that's crazy.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I was going to, but the lack of a backlit keyboard on any but the top model has given me second thoughts.

I really want that keyboard. It's a non-essential update for me if I don't have that.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Leaning towards a used Macbook with better specs for cheaper.
HA! I was looking at that as well. The Blackbook is only $1100. However, I wouldn't get it because the non-LED displays in those MacBooks really bother me.

Yeah, I know I sound really picky about the display's, but I'm on my computer ALL the time and if I constantly have to be staring at a screen then I want the perfect one.

Apple got it right with the LED matte displays, but too bad they didn't include those in the new laptops. Like I said, I would have even settled with the LED glossy display like on the Airs.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I was going to, but the lack of a backlit keyboard on any but the top model has given me second thoughts.

I really want that keyboard. It's a non-essential update for me if I don't have that.

I feel the same way. At least we don't face combo drives but they have a new black tax. Thene again did we ever think it would be any different?

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Im perfectly happy with my current black macbook. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, and by that time hopefully they have a new design because I do not like the display at all. I do want the graphics card and the lighter weight but that isn't enough to change my mind.

Also, aren't this laptops going to feel hotter since the enclosure is made out of aluminum and they have a more powerful graphics cards? Hopefully Apple put 2 fans in there.

humblesound

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I waited quite a while for this release to upgrade from an old HP laptop of mine.

Because I use it for live music performance with a firewire based audio interface, the laptop is useless for me.

Maybe the next revision, but I'll probably wind up with some other dumpy PC laptop by then.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Unlike most of you all, I have a situation in which I need a new mac, not just want one...

My 2.16ghz MacBook has a rare disease, apparently it caused it to go in a coma, with no previous symptons.

I am going with the previous gen MBP...

brettinlj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
HA! I was looking at that as well. The Blackbook is only $1100. However, I wouldn't get it because the non-LED displays in those MacBooks really bother me.

Yeah, I know I sound really picky about the display's, but I'm on my computer ALL the time and if I constantly have to be staring at a screen then I want the perfect one.

Apple got it right with the LED matte displays, but too bad they didn't include those in the new laptops. Like I said, I would have even settled with the LED glossy display like on the Airs.

That is a very good point. I'll probably wait to see the display in the store, then pull the trigger one way or another.

Phillyzero

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
So...Blackbook vs. Topline Macbook:

- Very subjectively better aesthetics (this includes aluminum vs poly carb)
- Marginally better video card
- Now ONLY Glossy option
- Multi-Touch now included
- Identical HD, Screen size, preinstalled RAM etc.
- $500 more....

guthy-lux

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
I really wanted aluminum macbook to replace to late 2007 $1299 one but I don't like CPU clock is dropped from 2.2GHz to 2.0GHz at the same price. They say graphics performance is much better. I wonder about the other performance like video encoding. They don't put a comparison other than graphics. That means slower as CPU clock?

Anyway, if display is improved, I might buy.

lastochka

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008

I can totally relate to that! I was quite set on getting a new MBA (first mac) but then noticed that the new MacBooks became lighter and now weighted only 2Kg. However here in Scandinavia the prices on all new Macs unexpectedly went up.

What killed my purchase was exactly the fact that the entry MacBook did not hve backlight keyboard (it wasn't even an option), and there was a large price gap to the next level with faster CPU and larger HDD which I simply do not need. I mean, come on, Apple does not even include the remote anymore. And the cost of accessories is simply ridiculous, like the DP->DVI for instance.

The irony is that I have the money to buy this stuff but somehow I feel being quite literally ripped off. There's no sense of value in this. :mad:

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
I assumed I was going to buy either a new MB or MBP.

I really like the size of my current MB (and not much else ;) ) so an aluminum MB was a possibility for me, though I still thought it more likely I'd buy a new MBP.

Now buying old MBP instead. Cheaper than a new MBP (and with a matte display), not much more expensive and IMO far superior to a new MB.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
As part of my commitment to keep my MB for 5 years (bought it in 12/08), I wasn't planning on buying a new update. But seeing the new design made things even easier for me. The iMac look works for the iMac. It doesn't work for the MB/P. And it really makes me appreciate my white MB.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
I was going to buy a new one before and I am still going to get it because I am in need of a laptop. I will probably get the 2.4 model. I wll call my local store tomorrow to se if they have then in and then go take a look to see if first hand.

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

honestly I bet when people actually see the machine all the haters will warm up to it. Apple has never steered us wrong when it comes to design, yes the price is higher i guess (student discount $1499) but this is an amazing machine and it looks absolutely beautiful

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

honestly I bet when people actually see the machine all the haters will warm up to it. Apple has never steered us wrong when it comes to design, yes the price is higher i guess (student discount $1499) but this is an amazing machine and it looks absolutely beautiful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.