PDA

View Full Version : 'JR' photo was a fake after all!

TMA
Oct 14, 2008, 06:49 PM
Out of the 2 leaked photos Engadget posted of the new MacBook Pro, the second can now finally be confirmed as a mock-up. The 1st one could be either way, but I suspect it is genuine.

It seems to me that this 'JR' person does have access to new Apple products, but as with the previous photo of the yet unannounced iPod nano 4G, is developing a reputation for submitting very accurate mockups.

I would request that in future MacRumors, AppleInsider, MacNN, etc should be more cautious to comment that photo's are 'confirmed', even if they do highly resemble the shipping product.

Amongst many other discrepancies, the ports (up to audio at least) don't match from the 2nd JR photo and the shipping product.

Hawkeye411
Oct 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
Amongst many other discrepancies, the ports (up to audio at least) don't match from the 2nd JR photo and the shipping product.

Hmmm .. they look correct to me.

TwinCities Dan
Oct 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
Yup, just like I said last night. ;)

TMA
Oct 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hmmm .. they look correct to me.

There's about a 1.5 inch difference in where the ports finish.

OllyW
Oct 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Ever heard of perspective?

eye.surgeon
Oct 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Looks pretty darn close to me. I think it's just perspective. Who cares, it's almost exact even if not 100%, clearly the guy has inside access.

Hawkeye411
Oct 14, 2008, 06:56 PM

It looks different because the picture is taken on an angle.

mike...
Oct 14, 2008, 06:57 PM

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(visual)

TMA
Oct 14, 2008, 06:59 PM
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(visual)

No need to patronise.

Taking into account perspective, the ports are still way off.

TMA
Oct 14, 2008, 07:07 PM
It looks different because the picture is taken on an angle.

They're not the same product at all. Aside from the ports finishing a good inch or so in different places, the overall thickness is different and the Card Slot/Battery status button/overbite issues still remain unexplained.

'JR' is credible in that he/she does have access to new products, which is brilliant. But it should be noted that out of 3 'leaked' photos they've produced, only 1 appears to be a genuine, unadulterated, raw photograph.

mike...
Oct 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
The thickness is exactly the same. You just can't see the tapered bottom of the MBP in JR's photo because of the angle. You can clearly see it's there, however, because of the shadow. The screen is the correct thickness relative to the base, the ports are the correct size relative to the base, and the ports extend the correct amount along the side of the base. It looks legit to me.

arn
Oct 15, 2008, 03:58 AM
I would request that in future MacRumors, AppleInsider, MacNN, etc should be more cautious to comment that photo's are 'confirmed', even if they do highly resemble the shipping product.

I can't believe you are still on this.

These are 100% legitimate photos. And the reason is not because they came from "JR". Did he mock up the box too? You're getting paranoid now.

This must be a fake too then:

arn

southerndoc
Oct 15, 2008, 08:45 AM
Out of the 2 leaked photos Engadget posted of the new MacBook Pro, the second can now finally be confirmed as a mock-up. The 1st one could be either way, but I suspect it is genuine.

It seems to me that this 'JR' person does have access to new Apple products, but as with the previous photo of the yet unannounced iPod nano 4G, is developing a reputation for submitting very accurate mockups.

Ugh, you're comparing a MacBook Pro to a MacBook. The photo you posted on the left is clearly a MBP since it has the card slot. The photo on the right does not have a card slot.

If you want to compare an apple to an orange and say the orange is a markup of the apple, then go right ahead. People will believe you.

Scarlet Fever
Oct 15, 2008, 08:51 AM

photoshop! the shadows are a tint too light!

canisreevus
Oct 15, 2008, 10:14 AM
Ugh, you're comparing a MacBook Pro to a MacBook. The photo you posted on the left is clearly a MBP since it has the card slot. The photo on the right does not have a card slot.

If you want to compare an apple to an orange and say the orange is a markup of the apple, then go right ahead. People will believe you.

It is confirmed a fake. Even if it were a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro, it is still missing the Kensington. Either way it's either missing the ExpressCard slot and Battery indicator or the Kensington. The first photo is likely real. The second photo is a fake.

themightyspitz
Oct 15, 2008, 10:17 AM

Dat has been shooped! I can tell frm da pixels & having seen a # of shoops in mah time. :p

i0Nic
Oct 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
Do you also think people are taller if they stand closer to you compared to people that are further away?

petermcphee
Oct 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
Do you also think people are taller if they stand closer to you compared to people that are further away?

Winner.

I thought this "ZOMG!! Totally fake!" stuff would end after the release.

I am disappointed. Seriously? Fake? You're kidding me.

andrewdale
Oct 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
So, off subject, I love it when the Moderators delete your posts. It just makes me feel so good. *end sarcasm*

On subject, why hasn't this been moved to the MBP forum anyway? It is about the MBP. Not the MacBook.

C'mon mods.

Aranince
Oct 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
That's because it's the Macbook....

andrewdale
Oct 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
That's because it's the Macbook....

If you're referring to the pictures in the OP, then no. It's not.

FW800.

southerndoc
Oct 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Apple does have several prototypes in existence at any one time.

At any rate, my vote is "close enough" that I still give JR credit. Even if it is a Photoshopped pic. It looks darn close enough to me that the guy/gal knows what Apple is about to release.

So how about some pics of the new Mac Pros?

Tingaling
Oct 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
ever heard of perspective? it's a very important thing in photo's

Sun Baked
Oct 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Apple does have several prototypes in existence at any one time.

At any rate, my vote is "close enough" that I still give JR credit. Even if it is a Photoshopped pic. It looks darn close enough to me that the guy/gal knows what Apple is about to release.

So how about some pics of the new Mac Pros?

Yep, I remember when people were mocking up Apple items based on descriptions to get around the Apple Cease & Desist letters.

So they could say, "No, it isn't a picture of you IP, I made it myself."

Doesn't really matter, if it is real or not ... was close enough to give people the taste they were asking for.