Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which laptop?

• New Macbook

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Penryn 2.4 Macbook Pro

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
So the following is the comparison I made:

Macbook Pro $1540 with AppleCare
2.4 gHz processor with 800 mHz frontside bus
2GB DDR2 RAM
15.4" matte screen and 1440x900 resolution
nVidia 8600M GT with 256MB RAM (about 1.5 times better than 9400M), but prone to failures
Backlit keyboard, but not the separated keys
200GB hard drive
Firewire 400 and 800

New Macbook $1432 with AppleCare
2.0 gHz processor with 1066 mHz frontside bus
2GB DDR3 RAM
13.3" glossy screen and 1280x800 resoultion
nVidia 9400M with shared memory
No backlit keyboard, but seperated keys
160GB hard drive
New Multitouch trackpad with no button
No Firewire

I am a student in college and waited this long for the update. What option would be best, considering that the Penryn MBP has a failing graphics card. I want this laptop to last over 4 years, so how should I proceed?

Thanks.

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
Oh and by the way, these prices are from my University Computer store. I seem to be leaning towards new Macbook due to styling, and MBP for specs. Still can't decide though...I need help.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Get the new 2.4GHz MB with 4GB ram... That plus it's new design definitely wins against that MBP you have posted above.

disco2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Get the MBP. Applecare will protect you from GPU failures.

I just ordered a refurb'd 2.4ghz 15.4" Macbook Pro, will Apple honor the 2 year warranty they placed on the GPU on a refurb model? Or do you think Apple ships all the refurbs with a new GPU?

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
I just ordered a refurb'd 2.4ghz 15.4" Macbook Pro, will Apple honor the 2 year warranty they placed on the GPU on a refurb model? Or do you think Apple ships all the refurbs with a new GPU?

I'm pretty sure they will still honor it. They treat refurbs like new, except for the box it comes in.

It seems people are pretty split between the MB and old MBP, just like I am.
As a college student, I kind of think the smaller lighter 13" would be better, but I really like the specs of the MBP.

And which one do you think would last longer in this constantly updating laptop market, Penryn MBP or MB?

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
"Last longer" in what way?

Well I mean I usually use computers until they die. The MBP is supposedly guaranteed to die sometime early due to GPU failures. Would this be an issue with a MBP I buy now, or should I just go with the recently updated graphics of the new MB?

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
Well I mean I usually use computers until they die. The MBP is supposedly guaranteed to die sometime early due to GPU failures. Would this be an issue with a MBP I buy now, or should I just go with the recently updated graphics of the new MB?
Unfortunately I can't answer that question.

It's impossible to predict how long either one will last. If you keep your computers for a long time I highly recommend AppleCare, which will guarantee that any problem will be fixed for its first three years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.