PDA

View Full Version : Are you buying the NEW Macbook?

Dudeman486
Oct 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
Has the wait finally been fulfilled? Are you purchasing the mac of your dreams? Or has apple dashed your dreams of owning such a portable by omitting features such as firewire or upping the price past your reach?

HLdan
Oct 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
Bought it! Got the new 2.0:D

holysmoke
Oct 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
got it. top end macbook with ram upgraded, remote, and applecare. Will come by the 23rd.

redmeister
Oct 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
prob not... waiting to see if 17 inch is dead or not then ill come back and decide

edcoche
Oct 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
No - Not buying a new Macbook b/c its not worth it for me. I still have my 2.2 SR Blackbook w/ 4gb ram. Maybe in a year or so when its time for an upgrade. Although I would really like having nvidia powerd visuals! :cool:

Suasexed
Oct 14, 2008, 10:41 PM
Apple did indeed launch the perfect computer for me (well ALMOST, no firewire is a bit of a bummer, but it's not a huge problem for me). I've been waiting for Apple to introduce an iBook/MacBook in an aluminum case and finally they have. It's a little more expensive than I had hoped, but with student discount it comes in at £890 which isn't too bad... it's £100 more than I would have liked to have paid, but I think it'll be worth it. I went for the 2.0ghz model - no extras :)

Andrew K.
Oct 14, 2008, 10:43 PM
prob not... waiting to see if 17 inch is dead or not then ill come back and decide

17 " was refreshed but not in terms of looks , it's on Apples website

heatmiser
Oct 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
Nope. Planning on keeping my 2007 Macbook for 5 years. 11 months down, 49 to go.

johnsy
Oct 14, 2008, 10:51 PM
So let's see what we got here-
Alu case neither plus neither minus.
better video card is plus
lack of firewire is minus.
bezel design is minus.

Hard drive was user serviceable anyway.

staccato83
Oct 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Definitely buying!

I could care less about firewire. I just didn't want that ugly blackbook (i.e., greasebook) ;)

gospel9
Oct 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
bought :)

Was considering to get the Air before, for the LED display, keyboard(i love the feel of it, backlt CAN be a little useful sometimes)... DDR3 and the new GPU are also welcome. It's almost perfect for my needs.

I am also fan of the iMac'ish design.
Of course the one piece aluminum is a huge welcome.

The prices will go down as time goes, but you'll have to realize Apple needs the cash for the engineering and the new factories.

EDIT: Oh and it's a 2.4, with 4GB DDR3 ram.
I have also forgot to mention the very generous glass multi-touch trackpad. This alone is a huge win for me. I almost bought the Air because of its trackpad!

andrewag
Oct 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
Wanted to replace my PMG5 with a MacBook Pro but here in Australia they went up $500. Next option MacBook - great about the graphics, not so much about FW and then again the $2000+ price.

Just purchased some more RAM for my Black 2GHz Core Duo MacBook instead to get some more (probably sensible) life out of it.

Metuas
Oct 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
I was hoping for a $1099 with 2.4 GHz to upgrade from my 2.2 SR MBP.
Instead, they showed off a $1299 with 2.0 GHz.

The new features are fine, but I'm not going spend more money in order to downgrade.

I tried to like it, but really the new MBs are disappointing.

Glad I got the MBA for my father when we did, too (September 7). The refresh didn't really bring anything other than a bigger hard drive, and a hair faster processor.

dougnewman
Oct 14, 2008, 11:13 PM
My option isn't there... No, buying previous-gen MBP instead.

snowfall
Oct 14, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'd like my Yes vote without all the exclamation points though...

Yr Blues
Oct 14, 2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, when I have the cash and my white MacBook dies.

zotes24
Oct 15, 2008, 12:07 AM
Got it, this is what i got!

Apple Remote
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
Accessory kit
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Dudeman486
Oct 15, 2008, 05:29 AM
wow, i'm seeing a not so great trend here. it seems that almost half of the users are not springing for the new macbooks because of what apple did. Hmmm, a very nice example of bullying on their part. I hope most of these problems are fixed with rev. a.

great high wolf
Oct 15, 2008, 05:38 AM
I was considering an upgrade when my current MB hits 3 years old, but the lack of FireWire and high prices are deal-breakers. Unless things have changed significantly by the time this MB's third birthday rolls around, I'll be holding onto it until it's no longer fit for service.

I hope that Apple one day learns a lesson about pushing ports for years and then changing or dropping them on a whim. See also their endlessly-changing video adaptors.

Admonitor
Oct 15, 2008, 05:39 AM
Got the 2.0GHz one. I can understand why some people might be annoyed, but for me, the extra cost is worth it - the sturdier design, better graphics, etc make it a perfect middle ground between the old MacBooks and the MBPs. I never have used Firewire so I don't care it's not in (personally).

timestoby
Oct 15, 2008, 05:47 AM
i like the new macbooks,but i think for my first mac ill get the whitebook. sure i could afford the new ones,but there are a few things that dissapointed me,but they were minor.

i supposed if ive been using macs for awhile id go ahead and get the new macs,but since its my first id be happy with the whitebook.yeah,i got over not getn the new ones

dubhe
Oct 15, 2008, 05:50 AM
Really like the new MB, waited for years for a replacement for my 12" PB but it never came, so I bought a 2.4 BlackBook last April... Now, they release the one I wanted! Maybe next revision I can justify an upgrade, at least my BlackBook is the top spec so should sell well on eBay?!

iCries
Oct 15, 2008, 05:51 AM
definately, ordering today, by the way does anyone think the SSD is worth it? I talked to an Apple rep today and he says its definately worth it, by the way the SSD is the intel SSD according to the Apple rep, those are monster performers as far as I know, so do you guys think its worth it in a macbook?

dubhe
Oct 15, 2008, 05:54 AM
definately, ordering today, by the way does anyone think the SSD is worth it? I talked to an Apple rep today and he says its definately worth it, by the way the SSD is the intel SSD according to the Apple rep, those are monster performers as far as I know, so do you guys think its worth it in a macbook?

As the drives are swappable have you priced buying an SSD yourself and popping it in?

phobic99
Oct 15, 2008, 05:59 AM

For the price, I personally wouldn't say a SSD is worth:

Faster (slightly) boot times
Faster (slightly) disk access times
Lack of noise (no spinning drives)
Less chance of mechanical failure
---> Less hard drive space (I horde everything even though I have a 5 TB server)

They still need another year for costs to come down for me to consider one. If money is of no concern for you though, go for it.

iCries
Oct 15, 2008, 05:59 AM
As the drives are swappable have you priced buying an SSD yourself and popping it in?

I doubt I can find the intel ssd anywhere else over here in Sweden. :p

ncbill
Oct 15, 2008, 06:13 AM
The biggest advantage of SSD is shock resistance.

However, since the rest of the MacBook is not "ruggedized" while the SSD may survive the MacBook won't.

A far better use of your money is to buy a 500GB Samsung instead (under $150 here in the U.S.)

I doubt I can find the intel ssd anywhere else over here in Sweden. :p

yoppie
Oct 15, 2008, 06:16 AM
I think the new MacBooks are great but I'm not buying right now. I promised myself that I would not upgrade my notebook until it's three years old. I purchased it in July '06 so that means I only have 9 more months to go. :)

Being that July is a summer month and Apple likes to use that time to get rid of the current stock to make way for the new, I'll probably end up waiting until October or November to purchase. That means it'll be at least a year before the new look machine is in my hand. :(

If anyone is willing to donate one my way, I'll gladly accept it before then. ;)

iCries
Oct 15, 2008, 06:43 AM
The biggest advantage of SSD is shock resistance.

However, since the rest of the MacBook is not "ruggedized" while the SSD may survive the MacBook won't.

A far better use of your money is to buy a 500GB Samsung instead (under $150 here in the U.S.)

Wouldn't the ssd give me a lot more performance? Faster boot times, faster load times etc?

daneoni
Oct 15, 2008, 06:46 AM
I reluctantly answered yes merely because i'm gonna be using Oracle and SQL on my course soon and need a computer that can run windows. Sadly my 12" PoweBook can't do that. My iMac can but i can't take my iMac to school so it just sits on my desk looking pretty.

Realistically i have to sell my iMac & G4 and get the MacBook if i want to make life easier for myself that way i can access windows on the go and not have to wait till i get home with the macbook

But i was hoping for a price cut not hike especially given the state of the economy and the loss of Firewire made me die a little inside but in all honesty i don't use it that much but i'd still have liked it as an option

tkiss
Oct 15, 2008, 06:50 AM
Im gonna get teh 1299 model. Im so happy, finally i can make the transition to mac!

JML42691
Oct 15, 2008, 06:54 AM
For me, no for now. My 11 month old MacBook suits me fine and still works like new. The revisions looked great, but don't warrant me getting a new one in the next few months. As for the MBP, the revisions to that are a little more tempting as to getting a new one, but as I said, still don't warrant me getting one anytime soon.

I will probably get a MBP at the end of this coming-summer, or wait a month or two into September or October of next year if there are rumored updates around then. I'll need a new computer by then for my freshman year of college, and by then I think that a new computer will be warranted, but I will probably go the route of the MBP.

cshale210
Oct 15, 2008, 06:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

ordered my 2.4 MacBook aluminum yesterday with overnight shipping... Got an email at 1am saying it shipped and is coming today!! So excited to boot this baby up

aleksandra.
Oct 15, 2008, 07:04 AM
Why is there no "No - I don't like the new design" option?

pagansoul
Oct 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
No - Not buying a new Macbook b/c its not worth it for me. I still have my 2.2 SR Blackbook w/ 4gb ram. Maybe in a year or so when its time for an upgrade. Although I would really like having nvidia powerd visuals! :cool:

My current Blackbook is fine for another year or two. I'm not a gamer so it is all about looks and I can live with my older model for now. I do like the silver but not enough for a sale. I actually have the money for it but will wait to see what will happen at Macworld 2009. If I was going to get another machine it will be the Pro for 2k.

themightyspitz
Oct 15, 2008, 07:13 AM
I was hoping to if it was $999.

But now I see that the Aluminum one starts at $1299, and to get that backlit keyboard (which I really want) I'd have to go with the $1499. I wasn't prepared to spend another $500 on it, so I'm still on the fence. In all likelihood, I'm going to wait.

Granted, I'm in love with the NVIDIA, aluminum and glass design, and the multitouch trackpad.

vendettabass
Oct 15, 2008, 07:51 AM
Posting this from my new 2.4 ;)

JML42691
Oct 15, 2008, 07:54 AM
Posting this from my new 2.4 ;)
Any pics?

Illuminated
Oct 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
Honestly, I don't like the new Macbook at all.

Plus, I'm perfectly content with my current all white macbook. Maybe in a few years I will update, but now, its not needed for me.

pik.
Oct 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
Any pics?

+10000!!!!!

what is the display like?
have you got any problems?
size color rendering or eyes tired ?

give us feedback!!!!!

planning to order one base+250GB now!!!!

Illuminated
Oct 15, 2008, 08:33 AM
I just realized how the track pad on the new MB's are not different from the old trackpads on the old macbooks...The new MB has no button, but the old MB's have a button, but you don't have to use it. You can do the same thing on the old MB trackpad as the new on. Just turn off the button in settings.

Even more reason to not buy this new MB.

hogfaninga
Oct 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
I was hoping to if it was $999.

But now I see that the Aluminum one starts at $1299, and to get that backlit keyboard (which I really want) I'd have to go with the $1499. I wasn't prepared to spend another $500 on it, so I'm still on the fence. In all likelihood, I'm going to wait.

Granted, I'm in love with the NVIDIA, aluminum and glass design, and the multitouch trackpad.

Actually the new high-end Macbook is now $1599, not $1499. Take $50 off if you are a student.

MacManNM
Oct 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yes, I was going to buy MacBook Pro, but when I saw the specs on the $1599 MacBook, same 2.4 GHz processor as Pro, new aluminum case, fast memory, 9400 graphics, lighted keyboard (that was a must for me), etc., I decided to save the $400 difference. I ordered it online at Apple store yesterday. I got it with 320gb drive. I got the 2gb instead of 4gb, as I thought the price would be cheaper at Crucial (should have checked it), but its the same price. However, if you wait about a month or longer, I bet crucial's will be less. I think this $1599 model is the sweet spot, balancing price and feature. I had wanted a matte screen, but they are no more, so not a decision point. Also, I didn't need the firewire connection, as I'm coming from a PC. So, I'm really excited, it should be here next week.

GfulDedFan
Oct 15, 2008, 08:52 AM
My original first gen works just fine. If it dies, I'll probably go for the new one but it might be in its 2nd or third generation by then. Meanwhile, I can keep using my FW port and my mini-dvi adapter.

JML42691
Oct 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
I just realized how the track pad on the new MB's are not different from the old trackpads on the old macbooks...The new MB has no button, but the old MB's have a button, but you don't have to use it. You can do the same thing on the old MB trackpad as the new on. Just turn off the button in settings.

Even more reason to not buy this new MB.
That is not the same exact feature, the trackpad on the new computers is larger, and the trackpad is actually a button that can be pressed, while the feature that you are referring to is just the trackpad sensing that you are tapping the trackpad, so not the same feature.

Illuminated
Oct 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
That is not the same exact feature, the trackpad on the new computers is larger, and the trackpad is actually a button that can be pressed, while the feature that you are referring to is just the trackpad sensing that you are tapping the trackpad, so not the same feature.

But the same functionality then?

I still don't see it as an improvement.

Beric
Oct 15, 2008, 09:14 AM
You can't select multiple options! :(

These are my selections.
No - Lack of Firewire (I need FW for my TM backup drive and camera)
No - Too expensive (I can get a MBP's worth of specs for $1299)
No - Revision wasn't enough to make me buy (still integrated graphics! And on a machine selling for $1599 without BTO options!)
No - I'm buying a Vista, Apple really screwed me over.

As for the last option, I'm giving Apple one more revision. If Apple doesn't deliver, then it's gonna be a machine that costs less that the high-end MB but kills the 15" MBP, both high and low-end models.

Mac OS X may be nice (I love it!), but it's not worth more than 1.5x the cost for identical PC hardware. Perhaps later on I could hack a notebook PC and install OS X.

hogfaninga
Oct 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
I use a BT mouse most of the time instead of my trackpad, so the new improved trackpads are not a big deal to me. I just prefer using a mouse most of the time. They looked cool and performed alright when I tested them today, but it isn't a selling point for me personally.

hogfaninga
Oct 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
You can't select multiple options! :(

These are my selections.
No - Lack of Firewire (I need FW for my TM backup drive and camera)
No - Too expensive (I can get a MBP's worth of specs for $1299)
No - Revision wasn't enough to make me buy (still integrated graphics! And on a machine selling for $1599 without BTO options!)
No - I'm buying a Vista, Apple really screwed me over.

As for the last option, I'm giving Apple one more revision. If Apple doesn't deliver, then it's gonna be a machine that costs less that the high-end MB but kills the 15" MBP, both high and low-end models.

Mac OS X may be nice (I love it!), but it's not worth more than 1.5x the cost for identical PC hardware. Perhaps later on I could hack a notebook PC and install OS X.

I have disagreed with you before, but you are right. Apple should of done more especially with the prices they are asking for. I love OS X and I will keep my current Macbook for a year or 2 (depending on what Apple does). I'm sure you didn't expect Apple to give the new Macbooks dedicated graphics. I know some of the kiddies on here were saying they thought they would, but you had to know Apple wasn't going there. Overall Apple didn't impress me with this change. Looks might be an improvement (depending on the person if they like the new looks or not) and maybe Apple thinks most people will buy it b/c it has the big Apple illuminated on it and it looks pretty. From the many, many posts on here they are right. Looks mean everything to some and they don't care what is under the hood. They will defend it b/c they will be buying it, but deep down they know it wasn't a great revision(graphics are better, but not enough to justify the price). Hopefully Apple will see the error of their ways and make the next gen or 2 a lot better.

welles13
Oct 15, 2008, 09:26 AM
No firewire, no sale.

This refurbed Pro is coming tomorrow; better specced, larger screen, equal price:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB133LL/A#overview

azimuth956
Oct 15, 2008, 09:27 AM
I want a new MB for the size. Lugging around a 15" all the time is getting a little old, because I can't fit all the bits I need in my case.

But no firewire is a deal killer for me.

Anyone use firewire over ethernet yet? Is it a viable alternative?

I may have to go with the basic MB Pro....

X3n0 AcId
Oct 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
i so want the new MacBook!
but i was hoping that the new one's would start at $1099..
sadly not the case :o

MacinJosh
Oct 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
Where's the "Already bought one" option?

petermcphee
Oct 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
I plan to buy the top spec Macbook in one week. I also plan to get the wife the $999 white plastic Macbook.

We are making the switch. Wish us luck.

HandleVandal
Oct 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm waiting to see what '09 has in store for MB's. The price, the lack of firewire, the specs and other factors were a major blow to my "woohooo! New MB's on the 14th!!!" bubble.

Me, I can afford to wait so I'm lucky but it makes me curious about how Apple will proceed in 2009 with its next revisions.

jimmer-uk
Oct 15, 2008, 11:05 AM
Style over substance and a pricing structure plucked from who knows where. :rolleyes:

Oct 15, 2008, 11:25 AM
The new Macbook is really great and all, but man, it seems to me that apple wants to rob us all. I mean my mum had bought a MB one year ago, then I bought a BlackMB, my mums one is the 1 with the GMA 950, my 1 is the 2,2, GMA3100, and my girlfriend has just bought one 2,4Mgh MB couple of weeks ago,coz no one told her that the Alumin. 1 is going to come out. I mean 3 changes in one year in the MacBook lineup that's a bit to fast, I can't keep up with the pace.) It's not the money problem, but I do look after my wallet and it sucks when I have to pay every 4-5 months to buy a new MB (coz it's better). Besides, I live in Russia and if $1299 for MB sounds high, look at our prices, they are like double what ppl in USA pay. A MB costs like 2.7 $ and a MBPro about 4,6$...

Dudeman486
Oct 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
I think the new MacBooks are great but I'm not buying right now. I promised myself that I would not upgrade my notebook until it's three years old. I purchased it in July '06 so that means I only have 9 more months to go. :)

Being that July is a summer month and Apple likes to use that time to get rid of the current stock to make way for the new, I'll probably end up waiting until October or November to purchase. That means it'll be at least a year before the new look machine is in my hand. :(

If anyone is willing to donate one my way, I'll gladly accept it before then. ;)

I agree completely. The new macbooks are mostly cosmetic upgrades. Discounting the new nvidia graphics and trackpad, but still...that's surely not enough of a reason to get me to upgrade. the features aren't compelling enough...yet. besides, we have firewire :P

iphoneCDN
Oct 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
Just picked up the new MacBook tonight...typing on it right now. My first Mac!! Love this thing so far. The screen is gorgeous. I wish the click was more the entire trackpad instead of just near the bottom though. ;)

iSpoody 1243
Oct 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
YESSS!!!!!
Im getting the 2.4ghz version with a ram upgrade to 4gb
Cant wait!!!!!

christiemp
Oct 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
I know I got ripped off, but there's a price to pay to be the first to have something. Plus I didn't want the plastic junk they had before. The aluminum itself justifies the price sacrifice for me. I am not defending it "because I bought one" either. I'd believe the same thing either way. Aluminum is always the winner over plastic. There's a reason I didn't get a blackbook for a steal during the ipod give-away. Cracking, with firewire or not, doesn't suit me in a product I'm paying so much for.

uncleSmurf
Oct 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
I want to get one but the price is a bit out of reach for me at least for the 2.4 version which is what I want :( But im also trying to figure out if it's really worth it. I was thinking of upgrading to the xps 1530 or seeing what Dell comes out with next month.

Fire wire is not important to me as I've never used it and only surf the net, email, chat, listen to music, and watch movies but I do use the media card reader on my xps.

Oh it is so attractive though... :( I don't know what to do. Waiting on benchmarks for sure though...

jade
Oct 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
I got one. To replace an 800mhz ibook G4.

I would not recommend this if you have a macbook of recent vintage. But I am typing from my 2.0mhz model now.

Love it mostly. The trackpad is cool. Getting used to the keyboad, but it is mostly a winner. (but the white keyboard was so easy to see in the dark :))

Cool update, since I basically have been on the fence about an MBP mostly for the metal for about 18 months. But since apple was so slow to kill the latch, I got to get a glassbook and get what i wanted (metal) and needed (a replacement computer for my not really intensive tasks)

thorbenh
Oct 17, 2008, 02:33 AM
Does somebody know how fast the built in 250GB hard disk is?

I regret having bought a Seaget Free Agent GO 320GB external USB disk.
I should have bought an external case and the samsung 500gb and put it in the MB.

Does it make sense to put the 250GB out of the MB in the USB case and put the 320GB out of the case in the MB? Or is it slower?

Unfortunately I do not know the specs of the built in seagate hdd. Sorry for these stupid questions, I am brandnew to Apple!

Catonow
Oct 17, 2008, 03:18 AM
I want to get one but the price is a bit out of reach for me at least for the 2.4 version which is what I want :( But im also trying to figure out if it's really worth it. I was thinking of upgrading to the xps 1530 or seeing what Dell comes out with next month.

Fire wire is not important to me as I've never used it and only surf the net, email, chat, listen to music, and watch movies but I do use the media card reader on my xps.

Oh it is so attractive though... :( I don't know what to do. Waiting on benchmarks for sure though...

With those uses, not sure why you need the 2.4 version. Save yourself $300 and get the 2.0. The performance difference is pretty negligible.

Have you tried one yet in the store? Spend five minutes with one, and you'll be hooked. ;)

beret9987
Oct 17, 2008, 04:44 AM
Deal-Breaker for me personally due to the no firewire. I am now the proud owner of a 2.4Ghz Penryn Blackbook. I did see it in person and will admit it is one nice piece of machinery you got right there. It's just missing a certain port on the left hand side is all. >_>

mathieuheartmac
Oct 17, 2008, 09:31 AM
Yes Yes I am!
Hopefully by December I'll have my new macbook.

I can't wait. I use my husband's iMac now, but the macbook will be my first mac. I'm sure it will be perfect, considering all it has to live up to is a dell inspiron I had three years ago...

I'm glad I waited until after this upgrade to get one.

RTiii320
Oct 17, 2008, 02:01 PM
you should really have a "No, I plan to upgrade to a MBP" option.:D

I LOVE my MB but it's time for an upgrade!