PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacation!!!!!!


stoid
May 31, 2002, 03:35 PM
School's out!!!!! Yippeeeee!!!! No school for three whole months!!!!!


Disclaimer: summer jobs quickly take back the free time granted by summer vacation (DAMN!)

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by stoid
School's out!!!!! Yippeeeee!!!! No school for three whole months!!!!!


Disclaimer: summer jobs quickly take back the free time granted by summer vacation (DAMN!)

well congrats...

for me summer remains the same...work 8-5 Mon-Fri work...most nights spent at coffee shops...exercise as normal...weekends off...he he he...

I still am debating if I will take a summer course or not...but come Fall I'm back into classes


ps: the summer job part will give u some money...which is always a good thing to have...;)

Mr. Anderson
May 31, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by stoid
School's out!!!!! Yippeeeee!!!! No school for three whole months!!!!!

Disclaimer: summer jobs quickly take back the free time granted by summer vacation (DAMN!)

So you're complaining about working for the summer? You'd rather be in school? Some places in the nation have year long school. And besides, what would you do if you didn't have to work?

King Cobra
May 31, 2002, 05:54 PM
Man, you lucky SOB! :)

It will be a while before I go on vacation, since I still have the big SATs and my class subject final exams. So far, it looks like I may not have an English exam, but a written assessment, which I find easier. But once my other exams are done by the end of June I will be in Maine for a while. In fact, I will be in Maine for the most part of summer/late spring, from late June to early September.
__________________

Fear the King.

Macmaniac
May 31, 2002, 06:01 PM
My school isn't out for another 10 days and that icludes 3 days of mind torturing finals! I wish I were out, soon though, My school has construction so they are lettin out early but we had to start the year early and we had a Spring Weekend.

eyelikeart
May 31, 2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
But once my other exams are done by the end of June I will be in Maine for a while. In fact, I will be in Maine for the most part of summer/late spring, from late June to early September.

so what are u going to be doing in Maine for summer??

Taft
May 31, 2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

for me summer remains the same...work 8-5 Mon-Fri work...most nights spent at coffee shops...exercise as normal...weekends off...he he he...

No kidding. The only enjoyment I get out of summer is the fact that its warmer out in summer. So the bike comes out. And the frisbee. And I get to sail.

Other than that, its my same old routine. Work during the week. Weekends off.

I need some hairbrained scheme to liven up my summer....anyone got any ideas???

Taft

Ensign Paris
Jun 1, 2002, 03:09 AM
Hey Taft

I have a friend who is building a rocket engine out of a cooking stove and he is going to strap it to the back of his bike (pedal)

well I have 2 months before summer vaction starts

Ensign

britboy
Jun 1, 2002, 06:44 AM
Congrats Stoid, you lucky sod!!! I've still got another month to go before the semester ends, and then i'm moving straight into a job the following week. Holiday? Doesn't even come into it :( At least i'll have *some* money to spend though :p

Damn, i'll be getting into a routine... not good, i hate routine... ach well!

iGav
Jun 1, 2002, 07:19 AM
No holiday for me until August/Sept........ although with freelance it's not a 9 to 5 routine..... so I'm taking my second week in a row off next week..... and just enjoying the hot weather that seems to be blessing our merry little land as of late.......

But destinations of choice for my holiday (vacation) consists of either......

1: Durango, Colorado
2: Finland
3: Sweden
4: Iceland

All for mountain biking......... :) I look forward to breaking my collarbone.....
:p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Hey Taft

I have a friend who is building a rocket engine out of a cooking stove and he is going to strap it to the back of his bike (pedal)

well I have 2 months before summer vaction starts

Ensign


Whoa, that's my type of fun. But what are you using for fuel? I'd go with something not too dangerous, hydrogen peroxide maybe. And you'll need to slowly increase the thrust, otherwise it will knock you right off the bike, its not a stable platform. 4 wheels would be better.

On the backyard rocket note

http://www.rocketguy.com

I can't wait to see the launch.....

Good luck and make sure you video tape it.

mymemory
Jun 1, 2002, 09:28 AM
When I was an exchange student in Arkansas, my town was so boring that I wanted to be at the school all day long, until 7pm is possible.

Now as an adult, in this summer, I have to planify how to derrocate our president. Interest change during the years.

kishba
Jun 1, 2002, 11:17 AM
well i'm SOOOO close to being out of school... only 3 more (half days) of school... all for final exams (luckily i only have 2 hard exams this year - trig & physics)

as soon as i'm done with that i'm free! i'm going to concentrate on redoing my web sites until the end of june (when i will most likely start working at my job)

i'm hoping to get a camera pretty soon so i can spend time playing with photography

King Cobra
Jun 1, 2002, 12:24 PM
Responding to eyelikeart:

My parents have an apartment and a house in Maine, by about a two hour's difference. My parents like Maine so much that they have decided that once I finish my 9-12 education we will move up there.

In the meantime, we are getting used to living up there, as my parents and I usually do for almost the whole summer. Our apartment is right by an island, where we go to the beach. There my parents get sun, while I venture along the shoreline looking for sealife, that I can put in a bucket. If you think that sounds childish, in August, if I am lucky enough, I am able to catch live, brown, 6 inch lobsters that wash up along the shore. That is usually the peak of the summer vacation, which has happened more than once in a week.

When my parents and I are not at the beach, there are lots of other things we do together, such as mini-golf, board games, or just a restaurant.

If I get the day there at the apartment, I will be typing and posting on the forums as I have been doing, maybe more often, since I do not have class. But, overall, it's fun.

FYI: I could not reply immediately because last night there was a thunderstorm and I did want to risk the computer getting shocked. Plus, I had SATs this morning. What a dreadfull 3 and a half hours that was! :)
__________________

Fear the King.

teabgs
Jun 1, 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet





http://www.rocketguy.com

I can't wait to see the launch.....

Good luck and make sure you video tape it.

that's awesome! what a cool guy...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by teabgs


that's awesome! what a cool guy...

I'm thinking more along the lines of crazy, but I've been watching the progress for a couple of years now, I can't wait till he does the test launch. He's going to be standing up inside the capsule as the rocket takes off. I hope it happens this summer.

jefhatfield
Jun 1, 2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by stoid
School's out!!!!! Yippeeeee!!!! No school for three whole months!!!!!


Disclaimer: summer jobs quickly take back the free time granted by summer vacation (DAMN!)

sometimes i wish i was back in school so i could have three full months off to myself and when i had those days, i never realized how good i had it

maybe i should become a school teacher;)

eyelikeart
Jun 2, 2002, 12:07 AM
well that sounds pretty damned cool to be able to spend time in another area for summer...

I am in need of a serious vacation...last year I left town every 4 months...DC...San Francisco...Oklahoma City...Gulf Shores, AL...

it's been 8 months since I last did anything...and I'm about to go nuts...

within the next couple weeks I'll be going to Destin, FL...

then I have that ticket with Delta Airlines...which I need to use within the next year...

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
well that sounds pretty damned cool to be able to spend time in another area for summer...

I am in need of a serious vacation...last year I left town every 4 months...DC...San Francisco...Oklahoma City...Gulf Shores, AL...

it's been 8 months since I last did anything...and I'm about to go nuts...

within the next couple weeks I'll be going to Destin, FL...

then I have that ticket with Delta Airlines...which I need to use within the next year...

that's a lot of traveling!

the last time i was out of state was in 1994 when i went to hawaii

and before that it was 1985 to england

and DC in 1978

at that rate of departing california every 8 years or so, maybe i should go to new orleans next;)

britboy
Jun 2, 2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield


that's a lot of traveling!

the last time i was out of state was in 1994 when i went to hawaii

and before that it was 1985 to england

and DC in 1978

at that rate of departing california every 8 years or so, maybe i should go to new orleans next;)


Wow, you don't travel that often do you? I'm sure england's changed quite a bit since you last saw it :)

BTW: has anyone noticed cleo's 'tar today? It's her b'day. Quite an appropriate 'tar, i would say :p

King Cobra
Jun 2, 2002, 11:07 AM
I saw her avatar as well. I wonder when she changed it: this morning or at midnight. Too bad the signature is still the same. :)

The longest I had to travel was from Wells, ME (near Ogonquit, if that is how it's spelled) to Seneca Falls, NY, which is around 50 east of Buffalo. It was an eight hour ride in the back while my parents drove, but luckily we got away with driving at a highway avg. of about 80. (For the metric people, around 130.) My brother lives there and we visited him for an occasion.

But, overall, we've been spending the summer in Maine.
__________________

Fear the King.

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by britboy



Wow, you don't travel that often do you? I'm sure england's changed quite a bit since you last saw it :)

BTW: has anyone noticed cleo's 'tar today? It's her b'day. Quite an appropriate 'tar, i would say :p

i should get out more for sure...but california is so big it is like two states with two different cultures and i stay within california most of the time when i travel

northern california was pretty much unpopulated and unspoiled until the 80s then the bay area got congested and smoggy and crime came into play...no fun

southern california has been congested and smoggy for much longer and i avoid it at all costs...so cal does have better jobs overall with hollywood and the sunnier weather and they do have a better baseball team

...and the rock and roll music scene in los angeles is the best in the world and for some reason san francisco up north has not had it going on the same scale as los angeles since the summer of love in 1967

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 01:01 PM
I try to get a decent trip in every year. My wife and I have managed a couple good ones 3 years in a row on/around Thanksgiving: Italy, Dominican Republic (really nice, and really cheap), Captiva Island, Fl. We're hoping Spain this year...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I try to get a decent trip in every year. My wife and I have managed a couple good ones 3 years in a row on/around Thanksgiving: Italy, Dominican Republic (really nice, and really cheap), Captiva Island, Fl. We're hoping Spain this year...

cool. my girlfriend's in spain now. and hitting up portugal too.

i'm not one for traveling all that much just to travel... i mean, i don't like to sightsee terribly much. i'm boring.

but going to euroland to see our friends is cool. better than going to see a castle or supin.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
but going to euroland to see our friends is cool. better than going to see a castle or supin.

I love culture, anthropology, architecture, so when I travel I can't wait to see the next cool thing, weather its a castle, the ruins of an old tower or local art displayed on the street (the Dominican Republic had lots of that). When we went to Italy, we stayed a couple days in Firenze (Florence) which was very cool, lots of good food and wine, history, archtecture (I spent 3 years at school studying it) and I love seeing things I've studied about first hand. We did pop into the McDonald's right in the middle of Firenze and laugh to see the Double Cheeseburger was a Dopio Cheeseburger, but I don't remember if the Quarterpounder was a Royal or not, ha, I'll have to ask my wife if she remembers....

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 07:33 PM
i enjoy the sightseeing, but not day after day after day of it....

i think the key is moderation. have some relaxing, some walking/seeing... relaxing, walking, etc...


africa was quite cool, and very interesting.

whereas when i'm in germany or holland i'm usually visiting with friends and whatnot. which is quite fun. just not as historical. and i don't mind it so much....

3rdpath
Jun 2, 2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i enjoy the sightseeing, but not day after day after day of it....

i think the key is moderation. have some relaxing, some walking/seeing... relaxing, walking, etc...


i'm with ya there. i try to see some sights but also do what the locals do and maybe just watch the world go by. to rush all over the place to see "the world's largest ball of twine" everyday just takes the fun out of it for me.

and i love to walk. forget the bus, taxis and subways if possible. besides, it burns off the calories from the food explorations( my favorite part).

if you want to read some funny travel books( actually, beyond funny...) read some bill bryson. " a walk in the woods" and "in a sunburned country" are my two favorites.

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I try to get a decent trip in every year. My wife and I have managed a couple good ones 3 years in a row on/around Thanksgiving: Italy, Dominican Republic (really nice, and really cheap), Captiva Island, Fl. We're hoping Spain this year...

that is a great idea to get out every year

we only live once and we can't take anything with us so enjoying life is the key...i am not huge on "retirement" since early retirees only live a few years past that date

at 55, i will probably stop my "career" and just have a "job"...right now, i am still "into" what i do more than just a way to make money...in some way, it defines a little bit of who i am, but not totally

but i know at a certain point, it won't make too much sense playing that game of "career" and taking one's self too seriously...it is important to do a good job in one's career, but complete immersion in it usually has awful consequences...it is all about striking a good balance for oneself

3rdpath
Jun 2, 2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i am not huge on "retirement" since early retirees only live a few years past that date

retirement is such propaganda. most people can't afford to really do it and like you said-who knows how long you'll live to enjoy it. i really think its just a ploy to keep people working and dreaming about the future. wishing away today for some mirage on the distant horizon.

i decided early in life to spread my retirement over all my adult years and its worked out great. screw money and career...how do you put a price on every breath and heartbeat that passes...

jefhatfield
Jun 4, 2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath


retirement is such propaganda. most people can't afford to really do it and like you said-who knows how long you'll live to enjoy it. i really think its just a ploy to keep people working and dreaming about the future. wishing away today for some mirage on the distant horizon.

i decided early in life to spread my retirement over all my adult years and its worked out great. screw money and career...how do you put a price on every breath and heartbeat that passes...

i totally agree with you...i was the keeper of death records at my hospital and i realized that it is really an achievement to become 80 years old

...it is not a birthright and one can't buy it...look at jfk jr, john denver, gilda radner, left eye lopez, brandon lee, and a host of other celebrities who certainly had the careers, fame, and money...it didn't make them live long enough even to get a reduced rate at a denny's for being 55

many here on these forums will one day live to 80, but the catch is no one knows for sure they will make it that far...unless you are that old and there must be someone here from that age range in our 5,000+ plus members