PDA

View Full Version : I Have The Country's Fastest ISP ...Blowing by you all


jiggie2g
Jan 29, 2004, 07:18 PM
Hello people just wanted to know if any of u were aware that Cablevisions Optimum Online(OOL) service offers Speed of 10,000kbps/1,000kbps for $44.95/monthly if u are a Digital Cable subscriber $49.95 if ur not. anyway just wanted to gloat and show off my 1MB/s down, 1mb/s up speeds. how bout all u other folks out there how do your speeds match up. OOL is only avalible in the NY,NJ,CT area ....sorry.

tpjunkie
Jan 29, 2004, 07:24 PM
and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...:p

Thirteenva
Jan 29, 2004, 07:52 PM
I lived in NY until a year ago. I had optimum online since it first became available.My parents as well as my fiancÚ's brother still have it.

It is quite fast but you may only see those speeds about 50% of the time. There are lots of drop-offs. It's cool when you're downloading something while the speed is up.


I've had dsl since moving to PA and despite it being slower, it is unbelievably more consistent, i have no speed drop offs and see upwards of 95% of my advertised speeds despite being at the maximum distance from the CO.

jburrw
Jan 29, 2004, 07:58 PM
I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

coopdog
Jan 29, 2004, 08:23 PM
I'm on an OC122 shared by two neighbors, none of you can beat that!

Counterfit
Jan 29, 2004, 08:47 PM
OC122? That's faster than Internet2 (http://www.internet2.org)! :eek:


Would you like to be my neighbor? :D

edit: I should clarify, that's faster than the connection that Goddard's GigaPop (http://www.goddard.gigapop.net/), which is WPI (http://www.wpi.edu)'s access node for Internet2, has to the Qwest Abilene (http://www.internet2.edu/abilene/) backbone of Internet2. The connection is OC-3 (155Mb/s), and scaleable to OC-48 (2488Mb/s :eek: ). Quick math says that OC-122 is about....6303Mb/s!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

stoid
Jan 29, 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by tpjunkie
Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...:p

:D :D :D

wdlove
Jan 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by jburrw
I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

What company is that offers this type of service? Is it avaialable in Massachusetts?

tpjunkie
Jan 29, 2004, 09:27 PM
Honestly, a regular cable modem service is going to give you sufficient speed anyway, how often is your ISP going to be the bottleneck?

Counterfit
Jan 29, 2004, 09:50 PM
The ISP usually is the bottleneck. That said, it seems like a pretty good deal. More than 3 times the speed I have at home (3Mbit from Cox) for only $10 more per month. But I want to know, are any ports blocked, i.e. can I run a webserver/fileserver?

howard
Jan 29, 2004, 09:52 PM
at my home they just added 3 mbps to ours...that makes it 4 which i many times reach...its really pretty disgusting...beats the crap out of the T3 at school.

jiggie2g
Jan 29, 2004, 09:56 PM
tpjunkie,

and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...

tpjunkie aka mr.T3 when i wrote 1MB/s i ment MB as in MEGABYTE as in 8mb/s+ not megabit as in 100KB/s i actually attain those speeds quite often about 90% of the time sometimes site servers are slow , check us out on DSL Reports/BroadBand Reports we kick everyones asses on the speed test, we are wayy off the charts 10-11mb/s is just killer we download 64MB files in less than 55 seconds HAHA . awww campus connection how cute do u actually get to take that bandwith home with you .....didn't think so.
Originally posted by jburrw ,

I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

And may i ask jburrw , how much is this fiber connection surely not $44.95 a month i'd bet $99/m . plus when ur at 11mb a sec can u really tell the difference between 11-16mb/s , honestly once you get past 6-7mb/s it's doesn't seem like much of a difference. the speed gap between 1.5mb/s DSL vs. 3-4mb/s cable is much more noticable.

candan9019
Jan 29, 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jiggie2g
awww campus connection how cute do u actually get to take that bandwith home with you .....didn't think so.


I would assume that he lives on campus so ya he probably does.

jiggie2g
Jan 29, 2004, 10:20 PM
no actually one lives on a campus yea u stay there during your semester , but i ment home as your Permanent residence , you REAL HOME as in landlords , rent, morgage , being able to bring a girl over with out having to worry about ur room mate or dorm rules.

Powerbook G5
Jan 29, 2004, 10:56 PM
Those of us with a shred of maturity aren't impressed, even if you were on a connection with a gigabit per second.

MacAztec
Jan 29, 2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Those of us with a shred of maturity aren't impressed, even if you were on a connection with a gigabit per second.

Exactly.

I get 3.5 megabits down, .5 megabits up. for like 34.99 a month. Not bad.

Nermal
Jan 30, 2004, 12:19 AM
You're all so lucky with your fast connections :(

Our stupid Govt is perfectly happy to let the local monopoly charge US$40 for a 128k connection :mad:

Oh, and if you want anything faster, that'll be 13c per MB, thanks :eek: :mad:

MrMacMan
Jan 30, 2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by jiggie2g
Hello people just wanted to know if any of u were aware that Cablevisions Optimum Online(OOL) service offers Speed of 10,000kbps/1,000kbps for $44.95/monthly if u are a Digital Cable subscriber $49.95 if ur not. anyway just wanted to gloat and show off my 1MB/s down, 1mb/s up speeds. how bout all u other folks out there how do your speeds match up. OOL is only avalible in the NY,NJ,CT area ....sorry.

I've had the same deal for a lot longer...

But I have less a month... I have one of these 4 year plans they offered like once... it was at $29.99 a month, they have wanted to kill that contract ever since.

:p

Outside the U.S its absurd, unless you live in Korea or Hong Kong, then you are set... 1 GB/second for $1 a month... really guys.

:p

ColoJohnBoy
Jan 30, 2004, 03:54 AM
Awwwww... that's cute. There's a company here in Colorado called Champion Broadband - limited area, unfortunately - that offers bidirectional 10 Mbps.

virividox
Jan 30, 2004, 05:17 AM
now were comparing bandwidth?

sheesh

im happy with 512, dorm connections are okay, but in cali i get a 5 mbit, not too shaby. but i never really use it to its full capacity anyway

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2004, 06:09 AM
My 2Mbit cable is feeling slow :(

:p, na, not really, it's pretty much the best you can get in the UK anyway :D

peterjhill
Jan 30, 2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
OC122? That's faster than Internet2 (http://www.internet2.org)! :eek:


Would you like to be my neighbor? :D

edit: I should clarify, that's faster than the connection that Goddard's GigaPop (http://www.goddard.gigapop.net/), which is WPI (http://www.wpi.edu)'s access node for Internet2, has to the Qwest Abilene (http://www.internet2.edu/abilene/) backbone of Internet2. The connection is OC-3 (155Mb/s), and scaleable to OC-48 (2488Mb/s :eek: ). Quick math says that OC-122 is about....6303Mb/s!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Umm.. There is no such thing as OC-122. And the Internet 2 backbone is running at OC-192, which is around 10 Gbps. There is also the NLR project that has 40 10 GbE lambdas running across it. (http://www.nationallambdarail.org/architecture.html).

To find the speed of an "OC" connection, divide by two and move the decimal point over a bit.

OC-3 = 155 Mbps
OC-12=622 Mbps
OC-48=2444 Mbps
OC-192=(approx) 10Gbps

At work I have a Gigabit Ethernet connection to our core which has a gigabit connection to I2. Unless you are using bittorrent, my 3 mbps cable modem never slows me down more than I care

Counterfit
Jan 30, 2004, 08:41 AM
If you look at the edit, I clarified that it's faster than WPI's connection to I2.

Thirteenva
Jan 30, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jiggie2g
tpjunkie,

and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...

tpjunkie aka mr.T3 when i wrote 1MB/s i ment MB as in MEGABYTE as in 8mb/s+ not megabit as in 100KB/s i actually attain those speeds quite often about 90% of the time sometimes site servers are slow , check us out on DSL Reports/BroadBand Reports we kick everyones asses on the speed test, we are wayy off the charts 10-11mb/s is just killer we download 64MB files in less than 55 seconds HAHA . awww campus connection how cute do u actually get to take that bandwith home with you .....didn't think so.
Originally posted by jburrw ,

I'm not impressed either. I work for a telecommunications project that provides fiber optic connections directly to the home. I have personally seen customers test at up to 16Mbps.

And may i ask jburrw , how much is this fiber connection surely not $44.95 a month i'd bet $99/m . plus when ur at 11mb a sec can u really tell the difference between 11-16mb/s , honestly once you get past 6-7mb/s it's doesn't seem like much of a difference. the speed gap between 1.5mb/s DSL vs. 3-4mb/s cable is much more noticable.

Jiggie,

For starters, use the QUOTE button when quoting people.

Second, I've used OO for a long time as well as know people that still do. Don't even try to tell me that you see those speeds 90% of the time. I'll never buy it.

I interact daily with people using their service. It drops off constantly. In addition, try getting any amount of tech support from them... especially if you expect to talk to someone that speaks english. Also if they find out your running a home network with only one modem they will try to charge you extra. It states right on the website that you'll need additional modems for additional computers and be charged an additional monthly fee. This is common among cable companies as your bandwidth is not yours and is shared among your neighbors.

DSL does not do this. In my contract it states I can run as many computers as i like as home. My bandwidth is static and my own to use and split between multiple home computers.

tpjunkie
Jan 30, 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by jiggie2g
tpjunkie,

and how often do you actually attain those speeds? Besides, you're not impressing any of us on a campus t3 connection...

tpjunkie aka mr.T3 when i wrote 1MB/s i ment MB as in MEGABYTE as in 8mb/s+ not megabit as in 100KB/s i actually attain those speeds quite often about 90% of the time sometimes site servers are slow , check us out on DSL Reports/BroadBand Reports we kick everyones asses on the speed test, we are wayy off the charts 10-11mb/s is just killer we download 64MB files in less than 55 seconds HAHA . awww campus connection how cute do u actually get to take that bandwith home with you .....didn't think so.


exactly...90% of the time you achieve your optimal speeds? Bull$%!&. I rarely hit better than 100 KB/sec with my cable modem at home (although i have gone over 3mb/sec from hotline servers based on campus networks) At school, I have never once come close to what the connection is capable of, and I have been to some speedy sites/servers.

And considering that my college runs from september to june, I spend more time living at school than I do at home; in fact I can now declare new york state residency, and I am registered to vote here. Do I take all my bandwith home? No, I "only" have a cable connection at home, which is quite sufficient for my needs, and the needs of almost any individual that isn't working for a company like bloomberg that needs to lay in 10 gigabit connections to its offices. Besides, when you're using a wireless connection, you're limiting yourself right there anyway :p.

G4scott
Jan 30, 2004, 03:25 PM
I really don't care how much faster anyone's internet connection is... I'm on a pretty fast network, and the plan I have only lets me use 4gb per week, and I never go over that amount... Besides, I'm sure my CS department, and the research facilities at my University are plenty fast... There are even plans this new educational only network (lambda rail, I think???) to my University, which is extremely fast for it's research purposes...

I have no need for ultra fast bandwidth, unless I get a bigger HD, and they start selling software or movies online, but I'm more than content with what I have right now...

And I do consider my dorm room my home, seeing as that I won't be 'home' for another 5 months or so, and then it's back to my cable modem... As long as I don't have to put up with dial-up, I'm fine with what I have...

Powerbook G5
Jan 30, 2004, 05:49 PM
I agree, it's nice having broadband, but on my school network in my dorm room, I am not complaining about my free 2 mbps DSL connection. It's not as fast as the cable modem at home, but when you are already downloading at 200+ KB/s, an extra 100 isn't going to make your email any faster or allow you to IM more people than anyone else. Our network blocks all the ports that are used for any of those download programs, anyway, so I rarely have a need to use the bandwidth, anyway.

Either way, there is no reason to go around acting like a first rate ******* just because you may have a faster internet connection than someone else.

jiggie2g
Jan 30, 2004, 06:10 PM
Wow my sole purpose of starting this tread was to mention how fast my internet connection was. all of a sudden people start getting their PERIOD and want to flame me cuz i said i was on the country's fastest consumer ISP. I wasn't trashing your ISP's just saying mine was the fastest and for that you're calling me immature or an *******. Sounds like a bunch of cry babies in this forum.

funkywhat2
Jan 30, 2004, 06:27 PM
I have OOL. I've had it since 1994, except for a six month period this summer. And it blows. The customer service reps suck, the signal is constantly dropping out, and they keep screwing with the network, rendering many modems incompatible with the network. The first time I had to switch modems, we had to have techs come to my house three times just to tell us that we would have to pay to upgrade the modem.

Many say it, and I'll agree- Cablevision is a necessary evil.

The only nice thing is that if when the RIAA was messing around with customers, they sent all customers a warning letter telling them how to deal with the threat of a lawsuit, and how users can continue downloading without getting sued.

And I know that you lie when you saty you get those speeds- the speeds are capped for non-corporate customers. Your lucky if you get one megabit.

Thirteenva
Jan 30, 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by jiggie2g
Wow my sole purpose of starting this tread was to mention how fast my internet connection was. all of a sudden people start getting their PERIOD and want to flame me cuz i said i was on the country's fastest consumer ISP. I wasn't trashing your ISP's just saying mine was the fastest and for that you're calling me immature or an *******. Sounds like a bunch of cry babies in this forum.

First visit to an online forum?

Rule one, talk trash and people will call you on it. This is the wrong place to try to talk bull. A lot of intelligent people here that will jump all over it.

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2004, 06:45 PM
This pissing contest is over.